Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I would market it as The ManHandler. That sob would work a man into the ground if he let it.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The thing about Caliche is it's damned ELASTICITY, The chit soaks up energy like rubber,.....and "Shearing" it, whether with a tool or explosives is a bit of a challenge.

Ours out at the range falls into the 'Blue Caliche' realm,....and in places resembles flexible limestone,...no kidding. I LOVE drilling problems,....any driller worth his salt should, I reckon.

This particular "Shallow Hole" tool would really light off with rotary percussion,....but is adequate just with the re-cip,....we're just concreting in little stubs of square tubing, and not going very deep.

This will save us a small fortune on target stands, in the long run, and worth the effort.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i hate Caliche.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
Damn Cross you've got a start/stop on a corner, QC ain't gonna dig that..... wink Cool azz tool for sure. Whatcha calling 'god rod'?

'Re-Packaged" McKay GP,.....one of those doped 309s, I reckon. WAY cheaper than some.

Wish I could find that old blue Eutectic 9598,.....repaired truck leaf springs with the stuff, on occasion. It was NOT cheap.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i hate Caliche.

I'll drink to that,....

GTC

IC B2

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is that Demo hammer a hammer drill too? Looks like just what the doc ordered for a couple projects I've lined up.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
309 is one of my least favorite rods..... along with 316. Damn puddle wont seem to stay where you put it and the slag burns the holy chit out of you....

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Hey cross rig up a sling for your little cannon.
It would break up some of that caliche and might be fun.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Hey cross rig up a sling for your little cannon.
It would break up some of that caliche and might be fun.

We've used the 2 1/4" Mountain Howitzer for "Mowing" steep sided berms,..... crammed full of Pea Gravel "Cannister", fired transversely,.....Worked very well, too.

That was back in the time when we were testing a lot of different BPs for the magazine Articles, and there was always LOTS around .

GTC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All of a sudden I have the hankering to watch Mad Max... grin

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
Damn Cross you've got a start/stop on a corner, QC ain't gonna dig that..... wink Cool azz tool for sure. Whatcha calling 'god rod'?

'Re-Packaged" McKay GP,.....one of those doped 309s, I reckon. WAY cheaper than some.

Wish I could find that old blue Eutectic 9598,.....repaired truck leaf springs with the stuff, on occasion. It was NOT cheap.

GTC

I have hundreds of pounds of Eutectic that I had shipped up from the Boeing Plant in Washington State. I paid Six yep 6 dollars for a pallet full of it. All different rod, but all the same brand. I like the Eutectic 680 best for overall use. They shipped it by air cargo and it was cheap for delivery, less than I figured for. You say it isn't cheap there, you should see what the Boeing Plant might have. I have bought tools from them for pennies by the pound. Yep they weigh it and sell it to you by the pound. Anything you can imagine, they have it for sale every so often. All NEW. NO Junk.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's some Medieval looking chit. grin

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by mark shubert
I use a Pionjar (sp) gas powered rig. What dia hole does your bit drill? How well does it work?
Mark

I'm getting 7-8" cut in my Ground here, and anticipate same out on the range (where we shot). Looks like the Taper upward tends to eject small rock, out at a proportionate angle, so I may have to rig a guard above the rascal.

On can make the sucker any size, within reason, I'd venture, sure makes a nice ROUND hole, ....

GTC

damn, just thinking about using a post hole digger in caliche has made my sciatica flare up. nice looking tool.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FVA
Is that Demo hammer a hammer drill too? Looks like just what the doc ordered for a couple projects I've lined up.

NO it's NOT a "Rotary Percussion" drill,....strictly reciprocating.

GTC

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Crossfire, neat stinger and great idea, but putting it in a Harbor Freight hammer. Come on now! Whatever works I guess...Russ

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
That thing was purchased by, and is owned by the Sierra Vista Range, I had nothing to do with speccing it.We're not in the excavating or demolition business, we dig a few holes every now and than.....

A.) What would be a better choice ?

B.) Price of the better choice ?

GTC

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Just teasing, I have a few tools from them myself...Russ

BPS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A reguar post hole auger won't work in Caliche??

We've got some real tough Lava rock up here & most guys with the Auger setups on their Jeeps, have rock bits for them & they just punch right through it.

Lee

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'm REALLY curious, I intend to set something along the lines of that thing up as a Trip Hammer /Die Stomper for forging Cable damascus heats.

I like the idea of having it mounted above the work area, with a foot control.

Hilti, or Bosch make these things, no ?

I can just begin to guess what they're worth.

Pawn Shops in this part of the world are CRAMMED with tools, and Craigslist is overflowing with em', too.

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BPS
A reguar post hole auger won't work in Caliche??

We've got some real tough Lava rock up here & most guys with the Auger setups on their Jeeps, have rock bits for them & they just punch right through it.

Lee

Can you set up a jeep and an auger for $500 ?

GTC

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,057
Posts18,482,363
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.