Print Thread
Hop To
G
gunbug Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Hi: I sent a new BushnellElite 4200 3x9x40 in for warranty and bushnell is sending me a Elite E3940 as a replacement.Anyone know anything about these scopes? Dan

Last edited by gunbug; 01/04/12.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dan:

What scope did you send in for repair? It seems Bushnell has
now changed the lineup, the Elite 6500 is the top scope and the
new Elite like you mention, makes up for the rest of the Elites.
They are available for around $240. online, so they may compare
to the 3200 or 4200 Elites, but I suppose it is hard to know.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
The new Bushnell Elite scopes are supposed to be a slight improvement over the 4200 Elites with Ultra Wide band coating and argon gas in the tube instead of nitrogen, they should be excellent scopes, which Bushnell 3-9x40 did you send in?...................Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I pretty darn sure that it's the older 4200 that morphed into the straight "Elite" series. In other words, it's the previously marked 4200 3-9x40 with the newer lense coatings (named Ultra Broad Band coatings) and has the upgraded Rainguard HD which has improved water shedding and is much more scratch resistant.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Yep the same exact scope just changed the name to Elites.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Farmboy1
Dan:

What scope did you send in for repair? It seems Bushnell has
now changed the lineup, the Elite 6500 is the top scope and the
new Elite like you mention, makes up for the rest of the Elites.
They are available for around $240. online, so they may compare
to the 3200 or 4200 Elites, but I suppose it is hard to know.

Actually, it's not hard to know which ones were previously 3200's or 4200's in the new straight Elite line. Just stay away from the two 3-9's with the SF (side focus) feature as they are not made by Light Optical Works. They are made in China. The only other model that used to be in the 3200 series, is the compact 3-10x40 and it received a price increase due to the upgraded glass quality, Ultra Broad Band Coatings (when it was a 3200, it wasn't fully multi coated), true one pc tube and the Rainguard HD coatings which have even better water shedding/fog resistance and are highly durable/scratch resistant too.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Recenlty I talked with the Bushnell customer service. Durning the conversation I told the guy that my 4200 40mm is better in low light than my 6500 50mm. He told me they are addressing that this year with new coatings to improve light transmission.

Maybe this new scope has some of the new stuff.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nuguy
Yep the same exact scope just changed the name to Elites.

They are also Argon purged, instead of Nitrgen purged only. Small changes maybe, but changes none the less. Afterall, how can you really improve upon " The World's Brightest Riflescopes"......

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thought I should follow up on my pursuit of the Elite scope questions and share a little update from my new "ELITE" 3X10X40.

I have different scopes in the mid/upper mid price range but I decided to take on a project to replace some of my older and less capable scopes. I have a few bushnells that have progressed in quality and with the latest ELITE still being within my pocket book for a few replacements. The New, better, etc. etc. scope got my attention, so after talking to you guys and the bushnell folks, I ordered the new 3x10x40 compact. It is just what I have wanted for my ruger ultralight 270 for a long time to replace the old but good 3x9 3200 elite. I didn't really didn't know what kind of step up I would be getting, but in general I can say that I am really impressed with the IMPROVED "ELITE" with some minor but important upgrade.

I got out my rifles with a busy Legend, 3200, and 4200 on them to do some real comparisons. Mounted the 3x10 on my ruger UL and proceeded to do some sight testing with them side by side on a pretty day at the farm. There are quite a few riflescope experts, but I am not one of them-----just sharing what I saw. I took my time during the day and took plenty of breaks with short views from them all and took some notes which I will try to share for those that might be interested??

First, I could see a slight improvement up the chain of the 4 scopes with the biggest diff starting after the 3200 series. The legend was predecessor of the 3200 which replaced it I believe with the only edge I could see was a little bit better clarity coverage to the edges with the 3200. Otherwise, I believe they beefed up the tube body with the 3200??? For hunting however, I wish I could buy a bunch of those Legends (5x15x40) again for the price----even has mildots for my 300WSM.
And the 4200 stepped up the coatings and clarity to be very good with a little better light transmission near dark (all on 7x ). As a side comparison, I pulled out a LEU 2.5x10x40 and actually liked the clarity and light on the 4200 just a bit better ---close call!
Now the NEW "ELITE" really did step it up again! The clarity was so crisp and sharp from 50 to 300+ yds, I was thinking----why pay more cause I don't have deep pockets and my eyes aren't better than this!!!! The rainguard is indeed improved over the others as I sprinkled them and compared quite a few times. And the light transmission just might be that 95% ++ that they claim. Simple markings that are classy and only "ELITE" for markings with the gold B emblem of course. Eye relief is also truly increased and close to 4", at all powers, on the new 3x10. Most important, I got the 3x10 COMPACT I have wanted and it really pleases me on the little Ruger UL. It looks right on the short light gun and delivers the picture I want. For a little more history-----I had ordered a 3x10x40 compact 2 years ago when it was a 3200 model but returned it because it fell short of my expectations. For some reason it seems hard to make a compact that will match full size scopes?? NOW the new ELITE model has upgraded this compact to a really nice top quality scope.

ANYWAY! That's my opinion (as I saw it) and feel confident that bushy is improving and making a very fine, affordable riflescope for hunters without breaking the bank. OH! almost forgot---the price did go up about $100, but I feel that I really got my money's worth!

And just for the record----I have no affiliation with Bushnell in any way but a satisfied customer

Last edited by caveman; 01/20/12.

cavey
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks a lot for that report.

IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Very good review, and I agree with your assessment, I have the old 3200 3-10x40 compact on a Remington Mod Seven .223 Rem but I would love to have one of the new Elite models to mount on a Remington 700 XCR II in .300 WSM I recently purchased. I can't think of a better scope in this price range for this rifle, maybe tax refund time I might pick one up...Enjoy your new scope...........Hb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
20 years ago, I bought an Elite 4200 3-9X40 for my Brother. I paid $300 and it's been fine. 4 or 5 years ago, I bought another one. I got a free Gore Tex parka with the scope. It's a great jacket. On Black Friday, I got another one from Cabela's for $199. I have one on my Sako and another on my muzzle loader. I've had no complaints with any of them.

I had bought a couple Leupold Vari X 2 scopes. The Bushnells were $100 less, every bit as clear and bright and I found the thicker crosshairs were easier to see. I noticed over the years that B&L separated their name from Bushnell probably because Bushnell had such a reputation for making crap. My first scope was called a B&L Elite 4200 and the last 2 were called Bushnell Elite 4200s. I don't think the scopes changed. Just marketing maybe.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I also have one of the new leupold 3-9x40 VX 2's and will compare the optics to My new Bushnell Elite 3-9x40, the Elite was $20.00 cheaper but I bet it wins the comparison, we shall see..........Hb

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
As I understand this situation, B & L decided to no longer license their name to Bushnell for use on rifle scopes because they were afraid such use of the trade mark might come back to bite them in their more lucrative endeavors in the medical field.

As we know, the medical profession every year becomes more tightly controlled by leftists and anti-2'nd types. B & L probably had good reasons for their concerns.

I have not had the opportunity to try the new Elite scope, But I am thoroughly pleased with the 4200 3-9x40 I picked up last spring. I brought home two of them from Cabela's for $162 each. I am absolutely convinced this scope is the best value in optics today.

Cabelas still has them in stock. Grab one before they are all gone!

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought my VX 2 scopes when they were the cheapest thing Leupold offered. No VX 1 or Rifleman scopes 20+ years ago. My VX 2s don't have clicks on the dials. Something I like. I know the newer ones all do. I think they shot themselves in the foot having so many lines out with so many options. Do they really need a line of Zombie Apocalypse scopes now! Things used to be so simple.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Didn't want to post anything but I was wondering if their CS has improved??? I'm not saying I don't still buy their scopes because I do, they are great mid range priced scopes but I'm still leary about their less than stellar CS. I recenly bought an older elite 3200 5-15x40 since I've been wanting to try one out for a while and it is a great scope for the money......

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I think the scopes you are refering to are Vari-X II's Rob, I also had many of these back in the day and never had any problems............Hb

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1minute, 1badf350, 270cowboy, 2500HD, 280Jeff, 29aholic, 56 invisible), 2,340 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,120
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.