-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Boy oh boy, Miss Lynn sure started a sheit storm with this one!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by deflave
I have used and hunted with a 10" .410 Contender barrel. They suck donkey balls for the harvesting of small game.
Well, duh.. It IS a Contender, after all.. laugh
Quite obviously if you throw in a a barrel/cylinder gap and shorter barrel your suck value only increases.
Same thing with any revolver, to some extent.. As to harvesting small game, hmmm, then all them rabbits and squirrels I got with my .410 musta died from laughter.. Hehehee..

People claim it's a great snake gun. It won't be. Because you will have to stand over the snake to hit the poor, [bleep] creature.
Mebbe you need 'aim-training'.. laugh

I don't find inaccurate, heavy, ineffective guns "fun". But if you do, have at it.
Yeah, I kinda feel the same way about that Desert Eagle .50..

I can handle ugly, just ask any number of women I've left the bar with. Worthlessness, I cannot abide...
I feel your pain.. First wife was worthless - just like you describe.. laugh

I agree it would be a good truck gun if you left your doors unlocked and the Judge was left in plain sight on the dashboard. Perhaps somebody might take pity on you and take it. This could leave you vulnerable to your enemies though, they may seize the opportunity to place a second Judge on your dashboard. Then you're really [bleep].
You mean, like them poor-azzed Queens fans who forget their tix on the dash, race back to find the window broken and four MORE tix left there???

I've worked on farms and spent a lot of time on ranches. I cannot imagine how a Judge may be of any useful service.
Try mowing lawn and swattin' them striped gophers, like I do.. smile

I feel the new "defense" loads for the .410 chambering should be sold alongside the new Zombie Max ammo from Hornady. Because I think both loadings are hilarious, and marketing genius.
Like the Liar In Chief, who got 'marketed' very well three years ago..

I think that's it. Let me know if I missed anything.

Travis
Well, lemme think about it and I'll get back to ya..

(y'all know this is just tongue-in-cheek bs, I hope)... laugh laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Based on your responses I realize you went to school in Wisconsin. grin

Just more tongue in cheek from a former FIB.

Travis

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Laffin' here. You guyz cracks me up this mornin'!!!

FWIW, I have no use for a Taurus Judge. When I am out and about my most likely sideArm is either a 357 Magnum or 45 Colt revolver. I carry the same loaded with homemade shotshlls in the first chamber, and have done so since long before the Judge was invented.

I load my own snake shot for both of these calibers, using cylinder-length brass and #12 shot, and I carry the first chamber loaded with these snake loads. In my experience those blue CCI shots capsules aren't very effective beyond 3-4 feet. Patterns are small and spotty. By loading my own cartridges, I more than double the amount of shot per cartridge, and the patterns are pretty consistent. My loads seem to work pretty well on snakes and squirrels and whatnot out to 10-12 feet, which is all I ask of it.

I've heard tell that Paradox-bored revolvers will allow a fellow to reliably shoot flying clay birds at close range using a .45 Colt revolver so bored, and one of these days I may actually spring for one. But Mr. Bowen is charging upwards of $4000 for one of these odd creations, so it won't be any time soon.

In the meantime I'll keep getting by with my loads, and the rest of y'all can shoot your Judges if you want.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Hey Doc,

I've been looking for #12 shot for a looong time. Next time I'm in Texas, I'll trade you some Blue Dot for it.

Thanks,
Travis

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Quote: "I think that's it. Let me know if I missed anything."

Yes you are quite full of schit..............

I own one. Admit it is uglyier than a mud fence, but I have rolled grouse right out of the top of tall tress and killed several rabbits and squirrels. No snakes but I cant see whey with 7 1/2 shot it wouldnt be effective. It holds a pretty good pattern to 10-15 yards which is ok for a trail gun. standard .45 Colt loads are easy to hit soda cans at 25yds.

Makes a good trail gun in my opinion and ACTUAL use.

lefty C

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You're the first.

Thanks for your input.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by leftycarbon

I own one. Admit it is uglyier than a mud fence, but I have rolled grouse right out of the top of tall tress and killed several rabbits and squirrels. No snakes but I cant see whey with 7 1/2 shot it wouldnt be effective. It holds a pretty good pattern to 10-15 yards which is ok for a trail gun. standard .45 Colt loads are easy to hit soda cans at 25yds.

Neat - but I've done all that and more with several different .22lr handguns.

Did you shoot any goats?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Based on your responses I realize you went to school in Wisconsin. grin
Guilty!! laugh

Just more tongue in cheek from a former FIB.

Travis
Bring it.. smile smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Travis.....your welcome....sorry about the schit thingy cool

Lefty

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
"Did you shoot any goats?"

No goats, but since they are bigger than a soda can I probably
hit one... laugh

Lefty C

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Travis.....your welcome....sorry about the schit thingy cool

Lefty

I can take it. grin

Travis

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hey Doc,

I've been looking for #12 shot for a looong time. Next time I'm in Texas, I'll trade you some Blue Dot for it.

Thanks,
Travis
Yeah to load up for your Judge that you keep under your pillow and kiss goodnight every night. laugh

I stapled a new target up to the melting backstop today and then found out that both cameras were with my wife. I don't know what tomorrow will bring but I intend to wring it out again with some more shotshells and Colt loads.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by P_Weed

Cole Younger, Thank you for your response. But I think you do NOT know what you're talking about, (IMO).

That's right

========================================================

I would like to 'retract' my comment regarding Cole Younger ... and am sorry.

C.Y. gentlemanly sent me PM instead of airing differences on the forum.

He's a good guy.

- pee wee

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I never saw a Judge until a few days ago. Much bigger and uglier than I had imagined. As I was looking at it a friend walked up, a retired LEO who once did a lot of undercover work. His wife had seen the Judge in one of his trapping magazines and wanted it. He said no way and bought her a Charter Arms .38 and a box of shot shells.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Hey Doc,

Thanks,
Travis

Travis, you can get a 10 pound bag of #12 shot from Ballistics Products for under $30:

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/searchprods.asp

It's easiest to load 45 Colt shotshells. Every other caliber is a pain, because you've got to do a lot more work to come up with cylinder-length brass. 357 is second easiest, just use 357 Maximum cases.

In the .45, I use 444 Marlin cases; cut them off to cylinder length with a hacksaw and true them up with a case trimmer. Fireform with a standard load of Unique with an over-powder wad. Load 'em with the Red Dot, a .410 shotshell wad on top of that, fill it with #12, and seal it with clear acrylic caulk.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jwp475

Cole Younger, Thank you for your response. But I think you do NOT know what you're talking about, (IMO).

That's right

========================================================

I would like to 'retract' my comment regarding Cole Younger ... and am sorry.

C.Y. gentlemanly sent me PM instead of airing differences on the forum.

He's a good guy.

- pee wee
Thanks Pweed. You didn't have to do that. You've always been an honorable guy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I promised I'd get some pics up of Judge targets. I'm not all practiced up, so this not being Master Gunfighter material is more my fault than the guns. It shows what the piece is capable of though.

Here's a five-shot group, unrested at 7 yards.

[Linked Image]

Ten more shots, probably five more at 7 and another 5 shots at fifteen.

[Linked Image]

A bunch more, some draw-and-fire double-action, instinct-shooting.

[Linked Image]

The target is about the size of a small man's torso.

The ammo was 45 Colt reloads of 7 grains of Unique below a 255 grain swaged lead bullet.

Judge's tend to shoot high and to the left. This isn't just my gun, but is born out I think, on guns reported on at the Taurus forums. I should have done a better job of getting the thing pulled down into the center, but I didn't. If you were shooting at a guy's center mass, he'd be dead with all but about three of those shots.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I went out today after it had rained a couple of inches and wasted a couple of pop cans full of water double action. I hadn't been shooting much regular shot after deciding that the Judge-specific buckshot was better, but I had a box of Federal high-brass 4's and they were a lot better than I though. I think somebody receiving one of those after a 45 slug center mass, would be in a world of hurt. The informal penetration tests by the guy in the vid link I posted showed that Buckshot was by far the best though.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 222Sako, 61 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,995
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.