Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Just curious about what you are using, I see lots of custom and expensive knifed sell for high dollars and am wondering what is actually used in the field. If you can post pics and tell what you use it on. Thanks

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got tons of use out of my Wyoming knife. It almost always gets a turn. A soft handled Gerber Gator is another great buy and seemingly rustproof. A small CRKT I got as a gift is awesome in the hand but my baby is this one
[Linked Image]

Bark River Canadian knife. Burled elder (....burled something I picked out...) and mosaic pins. Would make a nice pig poker too. Color is almost identical to this one. I looked for a blade with a sweep like this for skinning and it was worth the search.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Always just carried a Case stockman.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Very nice! I just got a marbles (USA) fall deweese and a marbles caping knife, not the most high end knife, but I love the quality and the price is right for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got a couple of Case folders. An orange barnwood peanut and an ivory .....what the heck model is it....

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Spyderco "Delica" with the plain blade for everyday carry; very old Case 5" "Ideal" pattern sheath knife for deer/pigs and Case 4" "Folding Hunter" single blade for birds and fish. I've had both these Case carbon steel knives for over 50 years....

My son recently gave me back the Spyderco "Endura 4" folder I gave him to take to Afghanistan. But he had to get another; he's deploying there for the third time next month.... He carries it all the time but also carries a Grayman 7 1/2" "Megapounder" when in the field. I got him that one, too. Likes it better than the issue Kabar.

Last edited by Mesa; 08/03/11.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I keep a Benchmade Sequel on me at all times, and use it for almost everything. Trapping is a little different. I use some little pelting knives with thin blades for skinning duty. On the line, machete and a leatherman Charge see a lot of action.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

NRA Endowment member, BAA Lifer, USPSA Life member, SCSA Life member, ICORE

To teach those that don't know, To remind those that do Know, To correct those that think they know.
-Helio Gracie
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I'm gonna get a new Gene Ingram when I get back from Iraq.

P.S. I wish I could trap these golden jackels here.

NRA Endowment member, BAA Lifer, USPSA Life member, SCSA Life member, ICORE

To teach those that don't know, To remind those that do Know, To correct those that think they know.
-Helio Gracie
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Victorinox paring knife.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I always have a Spyderco folder and a Victorinox Executive in my pocket. For gutting/skinning chores I like this older Rem. It was one of the earlier ATS34 blades --- it just fits me.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For skinning NOTHING beats a scalpel with a #22 blade!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Had the same hunting knife since I was 18, milsurp USMC Kabar. Works fine in the field for deer. Got a Chicago cutlery set of kitchen knives. I usually use a boning knife for skinning.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Google Svord knives.
I've got two made by him, a skinning knife and a custom made Bowie. He makes good knives that hold an edge well but are easy to sharpen.
A friend has one of his wood handle peasant knives, I always wanted one but all I see around now are the plastic handled ones and I don't like them.

The original international turd
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Google Svord knives.
I've got two made by him, a skinning knife and a custom made Bowie. He makes good knives that hold an edge well but are easy to sharpen.
A friend has one of his wood handle peasant knives, I always wanted one but all I see around now are the plastic handled ones and I don't like them.

The original international turd
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I use a little Russel "Green River" paring knife for skinning fox, bobcat etc. I put some Axis scales on it.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I agree about the scalpel knives for skinning. I use a Havalon Piranta with #22 blades for everything I trap...except beaver...

I feel they are unbeatable for the 'small work" around heads, skinning claw-in, etc...and once you dull them a little on some bone they are still great for full skinning without making holes too easily...
[Linked Image]

Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
sog spec elite mini se-01 [Linked Image]

Legal to carry in Seattle.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Stevelyn got it right from a cost benefit basis. The butcher we use for our elk uses the Victorinox paring knife in his shop and I was very sceptical. I tried it and now I have to admit nothing can touch it for edge holding, utility and ease of touching up the blade and all for $4.33 each.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,428
Posts18,507,499
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.