Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I've read a fair amount of Keith's writings, but I've never seemed to find a reason for his strong focus on souping up the 44 Special. Why didn't he show a similar interest in the 45 Colt? Did he consider the 44 more under loaded, or was it due to the guns and components. I believe he did blow up some single action 45s.

Regards,
Dick M.

I like a handgun. I hold a shotgun in high regard, but rifles- well I love the darn things.
Jack O'Connor
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
More than likely it had a lot to do with the structural weakness of the old 45 Colt balloon head cases and the revolvers it was chambered for not having sufficient strength for higher psi loads. 45 Colt cases aren't made that way now but were still BP config back when EK was working up hot 44 loads for the Triplelock SW revolvers. They would handle higher pressure loads better than SAA's Colts. My 2 cts worth Magnum Man

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's the thicker sidewall on the SA Colt due to the smaller .44 chamber diameter as compared to the .45 Colt.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Yes I wondered if the balloon head case was the reason. When did the 45 Colt cases begin being manufactured with solid heads. Must have been relatively late?

Regards,
Dick M.

I like a handgun. I hold a shotgun in high regard, but rifles- well I love the darn things.
Jack O'Connor
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
He preferred the .44 Special because of the thicker cylinder walls on .44 revolvers vs. .45's.

The .44 Special also had a balloon head case at the time Keith was working to develop heavy loads. In fact, his load for balloon head cases was heavier than for solid web cases. He used 18.5 grs. of 2400 with a 250 gr. KSWC in the balloon head .44 Spl. cases and decreased that to 17.5 grs. in solid head cases, figuring that the pressures were about the same due to the reduced volume of the SH cases.

I tried his load in solid head cases back in the 60's when I started handloading and it was HOT. I shot 50 or so of them and decided that 7.5 grs. of Unique made me feel more "Special".

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 01/23/12.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
As several have said, the primary reason was the thicker cylinder walls of the Special over the bolt cuts. However, in some of his early American Rifleman articles of the late 20's and early 30's, EK also mentions that tighter tolerances on the chamber mouth and barrel throat dimensions on the Special were more compatible with hot loads as compared to the .45(for instance some .45's had chamber mouths of .457 to .458 and bore diameters of .450), as well as loading tools of the period having more consistent dimensions. The latter two reasons had contributed to some of his .45 blow-ups, which he explains.

He never did change his opinion that if limited to factory loads, he'd pick the .45 over the .44 every time.

Greg Perry

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
First paragraph pretty much covers it.

http://www.sixguns.com/range/elmer6.htm

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Savage_99
It's the thicker sidewall on the SA Colt due to the smaller .44 chamber diameter as compared to the .45 Colt.

this is the explination I read.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Had he had access to modern , larger frame (and cylinder) guns, the cartridge might be the 45 Magnum!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
He told me it was the balloon head case.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I seem to remember reading him where he stated both reasons, case construction and pistol construction.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've heard Keith called reckless for his blowing guns up, and his bullet designs deemed "inferior," but when one considers how much he contributed to his craft, and the conditions he worked under, he amazes me. He had virtually no technology to test his loads except whether the guns would stand up to the loads. I'll bet he cast a lot of bullets from lead melted on a wood stove, under kerosene or gas lamp light. He's an interesting read!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Mr. Bowen's book stated that after blowing up many SAA he Elmer Keith switched to the S&W Triple Lock's do to the increased strength of the action and the better cases.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by 300_savage
I'll bet he cast a lot of bullets from lead melted on a wood stove, under kerosene or gas lamp light.

Yup. His book "Sixguns and Their Cartridges" included a photo of him doing just that. With his hat on.

Keith was the kind of man who would shoot a running, unwounded deer with a .32-20 pistol - and kill it. Different times, different rules.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
In "Hell, I Was There!" he describes his every day after-supper routine as a young man. While Ma cleaned up the dishes, he'd cast bullets and reload ammunition. He sometimes NEEDED to cast bullets and load ammo at night, otherwise he'd have nothing to shoot the next day!

Elmer Keith was a shootin' fool. And all of us who cast and load our own ammo, or even those of us who shoot heavy duty factory ammo, owe an incalculable debt to him.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought he blew up an SAA with a hotloaded .45 Colt using unsized .45/70 slugs...and he used balloon head cases in his .44 Specials...and there was more steel around a .44 Special Chamber than a .45 Colt Chamber.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
I thought he blew up an SAA with a hotloaded .45 Colt using unsized .45/70 slugs...and he used balloon head cases in his .44 Specials...and there was more steel around a .44 Special Chamber than a .45 Colt Chamber.

That's correct; Keith wrote about blowing up a Colt SAA using 300gr bullets cast from a 45/70 mould and sized down to fit in the SAA's chamber. He wasn't injured, but the incident did convince him to focus his efforts in developing heavy loads on the 44spl.

ADP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Speaking of Keith...

Anyone happen to know where to pick up any copies of his books that wouldn't cost a man a arm and leg?

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Keep an eye on www.powells.com Really good book store here in Portland, Or. I've bought most of my Keith books through them; prices aren't cheap, but they are fair. A post here in the classifieds might get you some good deals too.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks for the discussion, I get the picture. The large N-Frame smiths allowed more metal around the chambers. I would expect there were balloon head cases in both the 45 Colt and 44 special, although components could have also had some bearing.

Regarding the books; I have Keith's autobiography, however I believe he later came out with "Hell, I Was There". He, for some reason, did not like the autobiography. Inquiring minds want to know?

Regards,
Dick M.

Jack O'Connor
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,351 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,394
Posts18,488,821
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.