Campfire Ranger
Nice Sock-O

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by RDW
I am glad I asked for help, if I had the barrel throat reamed for a VLD and had to deep seat Ballistic Tips, TSX's or Sierra HPBT's I would have been disappointed.

I would like to try VLD's but they will not be the primary bullet type.

It also sounds like I need to have the throat reamed for a 120 gr rather than a 140 gr if I want the ability to seat .010" off the lands with both, correct?

If you throat your chamber to work with a 140 VLD that fits the magazine, you will be screwed for any thought of using the other style bullets.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by RDW
I am glad I asked for help, if I had the barrel throat reamed for a VLD and had to deep seat Ballistic Tips, TSX's or Sierra HPBT's I would have been disappointed.

It also sounds like I need to have the throat reamed for a 120 gr rather than a 140 gr if I want the ability to seat .010" off the lands with both, correct?

If you throat your chamber to work with a 140 VLD that fits the magazine, you will be screwed for any thought of using the other style bullets.

Not necessarily,IME. With VLD's and much of the bullet being ahead of where the ogave contacts the rifling usually rifles throated for VLD's will have a short throat.
So you can still reach or hold off the lands as you like with lesser bullets although you will impede on powder space.
Being as lesser bullets are usually shorter anyhow in effect this means very little unless the last 50 fps,apples to apples, is a must for you and you run pressure that close to the edge where that difference will show.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
With the magazine length issues in a 260, does it make any sense to build a 260 in a long action?

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by doubletap
With the magazine length issues in a 260, does it make any sense to build a 260 in a long action?

I don't think there is a issue or that there is anything wrong with the 260 as is. Just nuances to be aware of if you are a fringe type.
Usually,IMO, if you are putting a SA cartridge in a LA to be able to seat bullets out further there is a better suited LA cartridge already. Perhaps not in the 6.5's case(pun) but in LA I'd be looking 6.5-06 or 6.5-284. Likely go for all the gusto with a 264 WM.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That had been my thinking in the past. Reading this thread and the articles on the .260 and the 6.5 Creedmore in Handloader makes me think the .260 is too long for a short action with some of the new bullets. Bullets are getting longer (both the VLD's and the mono-metal) and current twist rates and magazine lengths seem problematic.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We're running 140 accubonds in our 260 with great success. Same for 130 accubonds, 120 ballistic tips, 129 Hornadys, yadda yadda. For whatever reason, I couldn't get the 140 vlds to shoot as good as I wanted in our 8 twist. May try 130s someday but with the 140 accubonds running so well, we are calling those good for now.

I wouldn't worry about mag length on a 260 in a short action with even the 140s.

RDW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDW

After the advice here and from PacNor, I would not build this rifle around a VLD. The 120gr BT or 130gr AB will be my first choice.

I measure the mag box this morning to be 2.875 and I believe Nosler had 2.820 for max OAL on the 260.

Would a SAAMI chamber be fine in my situation?

Last edited by RDW; 05/26/11.

Dave

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by FVA
Originally Posted by RDW

Not necessarily,IME. With VLD's and much of the bullet being ahead of where the ogave contacts the rifling usually rifles throated for VLD's will have a short throat.
So you can still reach or hold off the lands as you like with lesser bullets although you will impede on powder space.
Being as lesser bullets are usually shorter anyhow in effect this means very little unless the last 50 fps,apples to apples, is a must for you and you run pressure that close to the edge where that difference will show.

That is my point exactly, the short throat. You might not even be able to shoot some factory ammo.

NRA Benefactor Member

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I would definitely go with a 1:8 twist in order to shoot the 140 grain bullets!!!

For my next rifle re-barrel I'm going to use a Bartlein stainless barrel. They use "cut rifling!"

Other options would be Brux or Rock Creek. They too use "cut rifling."

For "button rifling" you can go with: Hart, Shilen, Lilja, or Pac Nor.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by RDW
Here is what I have in mind: Buy the cheapest 243, 7-08 or 308 I can find and send the barreled action to Pac-Nor for a Super Match Grade SS, 1:9 barrel in 260. I would pay Pac-Nor to lap, true, chamber and fit the barrel.

My goals are 1/2 MOA to 200yds, 1 MOA to 300, 1 MOD to 500, light recoil and much less powder than my WSM. I would top this with a Conquest 3x9 Z-600 in Burris Signature rings on Leupold DD bases.

I am undecided on the correct number of grooves and to be honest I don't know what is best.

I am also undecided on a 260AI, for my use the 260 is probably fine.

Should I choose a 1:8 for 140 grain bullets?

Any other comments are welcome!

good friend took his Remington LA (was 30-06) and added a Pac-Nor barrel to build a SA .260. The longer action made loading longer rounds than would not fit in a SA mag\action possible.

Ted
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1:8, P-N good bbls, chamber '260 Match' if possible, Min Saami spec - no neck turn, but has about a .010 shorter throat IIRC.

Long action - go w/6.5x55 and Lapua brass

260 - I'd go short action

Not much a good 120-130 grain in today's 6.5s won't handle...game. 140 is a nice option, but a VLD won't be my choice. FWIW a 130 AB is my go to bullet, but a 129 Hornady would be an accurate effective less expensive alternative, similar terminal performance of the 125 PT.

Barnes or Partitions for the most serious work if tough/dangerous/very large game. Odds are hunters would opt for a larger round but the 6.5 is capable...assuming shot placement and good bullets used.

BTW, P-N has made VERY accurate bbls/rifles for me in both 5 groove and 3 groove, I'd lean towards the 3 w/Poly rifling.

RDW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
As of today, I have the Redding Comp dies, Lapua brass, 123gr Scenars, Conquest 3x9, Leupold DD bases, Burris Signature rings; and, a 308 Extreme Weather in the safe...I really need to get it shipped off to PacNor crazy

Dave

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Killertraylor
You'll like Pacnor. I've had them do a few for me and both meet your specs for accuracy at 100, but not sure about further out as I haven't shot at those ranges with those guns. I never specified the number of grooves and just went with the standard. AI won't do anything for your accuracy, but will probably give you another 100 fps. 1:8 for sure with 140's - those buggers are long in a .264! I've had great luck with the Bergers but because they blew 5 gallon bucket sized holes in my Montana mule deer this year (6.5 Weatherby) I've switched to the 140 Accubonds and they shoot almost as good - .5's and .6's so far.
\

I rechambered my 260Rem to 260AI on the advice of a gunsmith friend of mine. He told me that it is almost always easier to to get good accuracy from the AI than the parent case.

I have a grand total experience of ONE but mine is more accurate and gained 125 fps. Main reason it gained this much is that it apparently burns R17 better than the pedestrian shoulder of the 260 Remington.

It does NOT feed nearly as well as the Remington. That is reason enough to be warned.

Don't fret over the number of grooves, etc. I have had 3,4,5, 6, 8 and 12 groove barrels. Never saw any difference that I could attribute to the number of grooves. Best factory barrel I ever had was a Bo-fors 12-groove 30 cal.

NRA Benefactor Member

RDW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I bought the Comp dies in factory 260 so that decision is final.

When I opened the package from Bruno's I went straight to the 123gr Scenar's and compared them to the 155gr Scenar's, the 123's are longer and they *look* deadly accurate.

I am off until 2012 so my plan is to get the EW shipped next week so it's back in my hands by Spring. I will ask PacNor to provide the barrel specifications for best accuracy with 123-140 gr bullets.

Last edited by RDW; 12/17/11.

Dave

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
All I've seen posted looks good. The only thing I can see that "might" be a problem is I've read the 260 Lapua brass, which I love, has thicker necks. Make sure Pacnor understands this and takes appropriate measure otherwise you "might" be trimming necks for thickness.

Alan

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by RDW
I don't think I have ever heard a negative comment about Pac-Nor and the fact they provide full service installations on the the barrels they make is the reason I will use them. I will give them a call or let them choose the groove type appropriate for my build.

Setting or choosing the chamber length is completely new to me.

If I will use 120-140 grain bullets including VLD's, what is procedure for choosing cartridge overall length in relation to the chamber and magazine?

I recently sent Pac-Nor a couple of barreled actions to be rebarreled. A 340 Wea and a 264 Win. I loaded up three dummy rounds for each rifle with my favorite bullet seated to maximum magazine length.

They know exactly what to do from there.

And it can not be said enough. Penny is an absolute joy to talk to on the phone. I think some of the guys on this forum order new Pac-Nor barrels just so they have an excuse to give Penny a call.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
RDW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
crazy I placed my order Monday and called Penny yesterday to confirm some details, 260 Remington, SS super match barrel, 8T five groove, six flutes, bead blasted and contoured to match the factory barrel. Shipped the barreled action today.

Now for the agonizing wait but I know it will be fun once I get it.

I pulled a 123gr Scenar out of the box again last night, that long skinny bullet looks absolutely deadly laugh

I have a Zeiss to send in for turrets and will most likely swap the Burris Signature rings for Leupold DD lows.

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe you will be very pleased! Are you planning on hunting w/those Scenars?

RDW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I planned on trying them, based on Scenarshooter & companies success posted on the 'fire; I also plan to try 120gr BT's, Accubond's and possibly TTSX's.

Any issues with the Scenar in that caliber and weight?

I know it will look like any other box stock Extreme Weather but I am I am stoked to the max, it will be a *long* four months!

Dave

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

696 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 160user, 73 invisible), 3,206 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,105
Posts18,483,265
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.