Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hi folks,

I picked up my Bisley 45 colt last nite - I really like this gun. I was thinking of a set of Pachmayrs (blasphemy....) but discovered Pachmayr doesn't make a Bisley grip, nor does Hogue.

I'll likely try the standard wooden grip with the rounded trigger guard. My first experience with my SBH with full power 44 loads and the standard grip wasn't over enjoyable but always looking for ideas.

Ideas?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
This is the Ruger BH, right?

Try it with the factory grips before you start looking for something else.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not sure what you want to spend but Cary Chapman make a nice set of Bisley grips. However you have to send him the grip frame. Bisley frames vary and that is why there aren't many options for after market grips. Hope this helps.

http://www.clccustomgrips.com/

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
DR - yep a Ruger BH. I will shoot it but always like to know options.

I ordered a wolf spring kit yesterday - its a little stiff.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I saw those grips earlier today - they are nice.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
These are my favorite on my Bisley 45 LC
[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by bea175
These are my favorite on my Bisley 45 LC
[Linked Image]

Who built those grips for ya?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just can't remember at the moment . I purchased them off a dealer on eBay. It has been a while. If i can remember i will post it for you.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Bisley is a 357 and has been cut to 5". I had a set of Grashorn Grips in Elk stag made for them. They have good 'bark' and are the best fit I have ever had on a pair of grips that were not custom fitted. They were not inexpensive but are the nicest I've seen with one exception. Those were on a totally custom Ruger built by a friend and are Bighorn sheep horn by a really bigname maker of grips and were on order for well over a year. They were definitely not cheap either.I believe they were made by Roy Fishpaw, in any case they are a set to die for.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would love to have a set of Sheep Horn Grips for my 4 inch Ruger Black Hawk in 44 mag

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Cary Chapman makes a style of grips that flare out at the top, filling the hand between the thumb and palm; I have them on my 5.5" Stainless Bisley 45 Colt and really like them. Cary made this pair out of ivory micarta for me back in 2006.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Altamont grips, I recently bought these, not very pricey but nice.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

NRA Life Member
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Altamont does great work; neat looking grips, that checkering pattern really stands out. How is it with recoil?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Cary Chapman makes a style of grips that flare out at the top, filling the hand between the thumb and palm; I have them on my 5.5" Stainless Bisley 45 Colt and really like them. Cary made this pair out of ivory micarta for me back in 2006.

[Linked Image]

Those are beautiful! I really like Mr. Chapman's grips.

ddj

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For me the Bisley is much better to shoot than the plow handle. I still get some knuckle bite with strong loads but it because of my monkey like hands.

NRA Life Member
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
Originally Posted by Oregon45

[Linked Image]

Those are beautiful! I really like Mr. Chapman's grips.

I really, really, really dislike grips with a swell at the top like that. They slam into the joint at the base of my thumb and hurt me like hell. I am far better served by the factory grip profile in the Bisleys. This may be due to injury to that joint as a young man, I don't know... all I know is that grips that are fat at the top are a no-no for me.

The shape and size of the shooter's hand should be the determinant of grip shape, not the shape of the grip frame.

This is not a new debate. Youngsters may not remember the names Bill Jordan and Skeeter Skelton, but these two gentlemen, estimable handgunners both, had very different approaches to revolver grip shape. Jordan had HUGE hands and liked a big fat grip, available today as Herter's Trooper Jordan, and mimicked by the Miculek grip and others. Skelton was a more slightly-built man with long, skinny hands, and he liked a "coke-bottle" shaped grip, available today from Altamont and others.

I've tried both styles. The Jordan types are a mess, as far as I'm concerned. I shoot the Skelton type grips far better, at least on double-action revolvers.

The Ruger Bisley gripframe with factory grips works very well for me. My most-used Bisley has the factory wood grips that I bought it with 12 years ago. I've fired thousands of rounds of heavy .45 Colt ammo through this gun with plenty of comfort.

All you can really do is try grips that you think you'd like, and if they work for you as is, great. If they don't work for you, sell them or carve them to suit.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I like my grips round (whether Bisly or standard) with no flat areas where my hand runs and on the lean side to I can firmly grab the piece. These were originally CaryC's grips that I had Alan Harton work over to perfection for my hand. In my experience both Alan and Dustin Linebaugh now well how to get a Bisley grip right. Hogue's are similarly round but need to be thinned for my use, a nice, less expensive option.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use Black Polymar Grips from Midway on my Ruger SS Bisley in .45LC. I like the checkering better for hunting than the original wood grips. They were about $25.

I use the Hogue Rubber Mono grips on my .41 Blackhawk with a Bisley hammer.

Last edited by croldfort; 01/31/12.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
How well did the polumer grip fit? I bought the same one and it wasn't even close on one of my SS Bisley's.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I found that with my 5 �� stainless .45 Bisley that the trigger guard beat my second finger. I tried slightly thicker grips and that didn�t work. I tried thinner, Eagle Gunfighter grips and that worked well. I now like the Bisley, but I still prefer the standard XR-3RED grip of my NMBHs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

682 members (007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 83 invisible), 2,416 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,721
Posts18,494,661
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.