W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

And this one?

[Linked Image]

and another, yes it can fly...

[Linked Image]

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

And this one?

[Linked Image]

and another, yes it can fly...

[Linked Image]

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Sorry send it twice....

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Caspian sea monster on the 2nd.

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Very good, Alekseiev KM Caspian sea monster, you're right. Destroyed in crash in 1980.

IC B2

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
[Linked Image]

I've always thought these were one of the prettiest A/C made, with very clean lines....especially the Mark 6...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
SE 5000 Baroudeur is the first one.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Foxbat
Plinker, that is my favorite aircraft ever built. She is amazing to see up close, even 50 years later.

Although they never entered service, JUST THE THOUGHT that the USA could build them, is what made the Soviet Union develop the Mig 25 Foxbat.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

With you Seafire. The Hunter Mk6 was one of the cleanest aircraft i've seen!
Dom

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by Foxbat
Plinker, that is my favorite aircraft ever built. She is amazing to see up close, even 50 years later.

Although they never entered service, JUST THE THOUGHT that the USA could build them, is what made the Soviet Union develop the Mig 25 Foxbat.

I remember some old show about the B-70 that mentioned one the Valkyrie(sp?) project engineers thought the B-70 looked liked "a cobra sitting on top of an orange crate".

A fantastic aircraft.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

You're the king of google-fu or a very well informed fan!

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by W7ACT
An easy one.

[Linked Image]

Anther pretty A/C... a friend of the family, flew those after going into SAC,.. being a previous WW2 P51 Pilot...with the fighter jock mentality... Colonel Lappo.... Dad knew him and I went to school with his son... actually saw him interviewed on the History Channel's "Wings" series in the 90s, on the B 47.

Stationed in Michigan at a SAC based in the 50s, a bar room tete d'tete broke out between some of his squadron mates, when they were being laughed at by some F 101 Pilots of ADC..

Major ( at the time), Lappo stated he could take a B 47 anywhere they could take an F 101, to which really made the Voodoo pilots laugh...

well evidently up in the air not long afterwards, over Lake Michigan both units were up in the air at the same time and one of the F 101 pilots, called him on his statement of being able to take a B47 anywhere a F101 could go... so a Voodoo pilot, took a 101 under the Mackinac Bridge, that connects the upper and lower peninsula of Michigan...

after doing so, the 101 Pilot radios, 'let me see ya do that!'

so Major Lappo radios back... "wanna follow me?"

he took the B 47 under the Mackinac Bridge, to the amazement of the following F 101... after that, he loops the B 47 and brought it back under the bridge for a second pass... the 101 pilot wouldn't follow it...

needless to say, when they landed, they both found themselves grounded.. as freaked out motorists on the bridge had notified authorities...

my stepdad's AF career started out in SAC in B 47s..those and F 4 were his favorite two A/C he flew in his career...

he flew C 130s in Vietnam, with the Air Commando units, and he had a lot of respect for the damage a 130 could take and bring the crew home.. but of course those didn't have the glamour of the B 47 or the F4....

he also talks about the wildest stunt they did, was a Colonel in a unit he was with, collected old sports cars...on a flight to England, the Colonel ended up buying an MG/TC or TD over there.. against regulations, they had the MG loaded and secured in the bombbay of a B 47, and then flew it back to their base in Kansas, basically smuggling it into the US past customs etc...

some of the stuff that was done after WW 2 and in the early days of SAC, were pretty wild...

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by writing_frog

You're the king of google-fu or a very well informed fan!

hey, I'm doing mine straight up! No google Fu! grin

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
[Linked Image]

it was an F 82 that shot down the first enemy A/C during the Korean War...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An easy one.

[Linked Image]

Anther pretty A/C... a friend of the family, flew those after going into SAC,.. being a previous WW2 P51 Pilot...with the fighter jock mentality... Colonel Lappo.... Dad knew him and I went to school with his son... actually saw him interviewed on the History Channel's "Wings" series in the 90s, on the B 47.

Stationed in Michigan at a SAC based in the 50s, a bar room tete d'tete broke out between some of his squadron mates, when they were being laughed at by some F 101 Pilots of ADC..

Major ( at the time), Lappo stated he could take a B 47 anywhere they could take an F 101, to which really made the Voodoo pilots laugh...

well evidently up in the air not long afterwards, over Lake Michigan both units were up in the air at the same time and one of the F 101 pilots, called him on his statement of being able to take a B47 anywhere a F101 could go... so a Voodoo pilot, took a 101 under the Mackinac Bridge, that connects the upper and lower peninsula of Michigan...

after doing so, the 101 Pilot radios, 'let me see ya do that!'

so Major Lappo radios back... "wanna follow me?"

he took the B 47 under the Mackinac Bridge, to the amazement of the following F 101... after that, he loops the B 47 and brought it back under the bridge for a second pass... the 101 pilot wouldn't follow it...

needless to say, when they landed, they both found themselves grounded.. as freaked out motorists on the bridge had notified authorities...

my stepdad's AF career started out in SAC in B 47s..those and F 4 were his favorite two A/C he flew in his career...

he flew C 130s in Vietnam, with the Air Commando units, and he had a lot of respect for the damage a 130 could take and bring the crew home.. but of course those didn't have the glamour of the B 47 or the F4....

he also talks about the wildest stunt they did, was a Colonel in a unit he was with, collected old sports cars...on a flight to England, the Colonel ended up buying an MG/TC or TD over there.. against regulations, they had the MG loaded and secured in the bombbay of a B 47, and then flew it back to their base in Kansas, basically smuggling it into the US past customs etc...

some of the stuff that was done after WW 2 and in the early days of SAC, were pretty wild...

Seafire,
Cool!!

I would have given a left !@# to see that B47 fly under a bridge.
(I always liked the F-101, also)

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by djs
[Linked Image]

There is a Northrop P-61 on display at the National Air and Space Museum Udvar-Hazy Annex at Dulles airport.

Smithsonian had one at Silver Hill when I worked there in the later 60s... that was a fun A/C to climb around in...

they also had a batch of the old German A/C that was brought back for evaluation after WW 2, and after the AF was done with them, many were donated to the Smithsonian..and were stored out at Silver Hill....

which was Heaven for a high school kid, and Airplane Buff such as myself...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Plinker
Your Gogle-fu is strong, Jedi!

Not really. I'm 76 and as a lad lived in Southern California. I've seen the B-19 both in the air and on the ground. At one point lived near NAS Los Alamitos, Douglas aicraft and North American Aviation. Saw lots of stuff.

Happy Trails!
NRA Life Member
bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

it was an F 82 that shot down the first enemy A/C during the Korean War...

And set a record:

The F-82B on display, Betty-Jo, flew from Hawaii to New York on Feb. 27-28, 1947, a distance of 5,051 miles, the longest non-stop flight ever made by a propeller-driven fighter.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=284

Bruce

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 340boy

Seafire,
Cool!!

I would have given a left !@# to see that B47 fly under a bridge.
(I always liked the F-101, also)

340 Boy...

bet you would have loved to be in my shoes when I was in high school...I am originally from No Virginia... and was an airplane buff from about 11 years old... besides living in England for 3 years as a kid, being around all of these old WW 2 bases, that Nato still had opened in case war ever broke out...I went to school on one base that had a skeleton crew to keep it functional.. RAF Molesworth...had B 17s there with the 303rd BG in WW2...there were still a few B 17 body parts around at a junkyard area on base.. we kids use to go play on and around given the chance... the control tower and the airfield was left readily available to be operational in about 48 hrs if needed...miles of the old Nissan huts were standing, that had been boarded up when the war ended...

my Jr high requested of the Air Force to let us have the old briefing room for a squadron as an auditorium... so they did in 1965....it was to be cleaned up by our gym class in the winter, when it was raining all the time.. our school at the time was like 75 to 80% girls.. so it was assigned to the boys gym class...

when we went in there to clean it up, it had been locked up for 20 years, since 1945... dark, full of dust, half the lights didn't work...

it was like a movie theatre..with the floor sloping down toward the stage... behind the stage was a curtain and a big wall behind it...we cleaned this place up every day for a couple of weeks..

when we pulled the curtain back from the wall, on the wall was a large map of NW and Northern Europe.... still marked and hanging on the wall, were all the information for the flight crew briefings on the last bomber mission flown from Molesworth by the 303rd in 1945....

for those of us that were aviation buffs, we freaked out when the school wanted it all torn down... or gym coach was a WW 2 gunner on a B 17, and he was thrilled so many of us boys were taking it all in...however the school won and the map was taken down and the curtain taken down and washed... as it was full of dust...
I'll continue this on a new post..

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
a/c were all around us there in England in the mid 60s.. when we went there in 1963 the AF had 22 active bases in England...plus there were RAF bases all over also...the sky was always full of the sound of jets...

we lived off base and the English kids didn't get out of school for a short summer vacation until the first of August.. we got out at the end of May... so there wasn't very many kids to play with in June and July... so parents use to actually drop we kids off at each others houses just so we had other kids to play with.. all we American kids living in the area...

there was about 5 of us, playing down at the park one day in 1965... it was on the Ouse River, and across from it was just farm fields...

we paid no attention to jets flying over, when this one did catch our attention tho.. it stopped in mid air and then descended down to the ground like a helicopter would... we're standing there with our mouths open and jaws on the ground...

it landed in the field across the river... the pilot got out, and walked around the plane checking stuff out.. we jumped up and down waving at him... he waved back several times....

climbs back into the AC and then it hovers in the air, goes vertically up slowly and then proceeded to take off like a regular plane when it got enough altitude...

of course we boys can't wait to get home and tell our dads what we had seen that day...

and of course no one believed us... I think I am still grounded by my old man for 'lying' and 'making up stories'.. another guy who use to hitch a ride into base with the old man, was told the same story by his kid... 'yeah, my kid came home and told me the same stupid story'....

unbeknowst to them... what we saw was the Hawker Harrier in its development stage before it entered service......

the other cool A/C that we saw all the time from the British RAF flying around were English Electric Lightnings and Avro Vulcans..

some Meteors and Hawker Hunters were still in service also at the time...

Page 17 of 25 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 3,081 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,572
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.