Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
In a recent thread about the new Bell & Carlson designs being too heavy, why is no one talking about Lone Wolf, they make some stocks that weigh 15oz....that's even light than an Edge. I don't know much about them....just wondering. I have been very happy with my B & C Medalist's, but I shoot heavier guns a bit better, just my preference. But what is the story on Lone Wolf?

GB1

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I had one on a Sako 75, nice stock.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That is a good question.

I asked them to quote for a Summit on a SR Mauser and the gent said he wasn't doing that kind of work currently.

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I asked about LW stocks a while back and got no responses. This group seems to be firmly in the McM camp. I have seen these stocks in a lot of pictures in The Varmint Hunters magazine.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This site is firmly in the McM camp partly because McM offers something for every person and for almost every action.

Call McM about a SR Mauser stock and you'll have it in 16 weeks.

I would consider the Summit for my LH Kimber 84 because it would save ~6 oz. but they don't inlet for it.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I would consider then for a ruger stock, but they don't inlet for that either

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
They don't inlet for lefty Rugers either.... bastids.

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
G
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
It is interesting how it seems certain products get more attention than others.I have never owned a McMillan, I pretty sure they are fine stocks.Lots of love for Leupold here also, which is another fine product.When I make a purchase I tend to explore all options, but must admit that when you find something you like you stick with it. I have B & C Medalist stocks that are skim bedded and the rifles all shoot under 1/2" if I do my part so I'm happy.I just was curious about the Lone Wolf Summit...at 15 oz. that is the lightest I have heard of. I wonder what the stock weighs on a NULA Rifle....it must be pretty lite as is the stock on the Kimber Montana (which I think Melvin Forbes helped design). I would think a Remington 700 action that has been worked over to make it lite stuck into a Summit stock with a 22" number 1 contour from whoever would be really light. Just a thought.

Last edited by goodshot; 02/05/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have talked to him on the phone and he will not sell you a stock. He only does complete bedding projects. He does not have prices, you tell him what gun you have and what stock you want and he will give you a quote. You have to send him the BA for him to fit the stock to. Not a bad system but not easy like ordering a McMillan for a drop in fit or you can bed if you like.

Quality of stock plus customer service plus ease of acquisition makes McMillan the winner for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ummm...

Since I live in the Flathead, I'll fill the group in...

Rich guy .commer millionaire Mathew Gogan purchased Jense Precision, Lone Wolf, and one other company I believe, that does carbon wrapped barrels, and they now will all live in the same building off of Hodgson Road (borders Hwy 2) called Proof Manufacturing.

We shall see if the company ever goes anywhere. They're grand plan is to manufacture rifles at the 5-6k price point, both tacticool and sporter.

Gogan is loaded, but I can't see him piling gold on a sinking ship for much more than 5 years before pulling the plug.

I've had more than a few stocks from Bob over the years. He's a little eccentric, but he built one helluva a stock. I'm sure now he'll have "people"

Like I said, it all remains to be seen... So far, the new "shop boss" whose a guy from Plum Creek with an extensive background in manufacturing, and a rifle hobby, is doing a good job of pissing people off. Also, there's been a lot of issues with the building, and the GC [bleep] up a lot of things and stiffing subcontractors. Again... Ktown is a small town... There is a lot of dipshits that work at Montana Rifleman and McGowen Precision that hit the unemployment line when orders are slow. I HOPE that they don't get employed at Proof Manufacturing because of their "skill set"

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I am starting to get a picture of why we don't here about them much. Sounds to me like a guy is better off with the other choices out there. I will have to break down and try a McMillian one of these days, see what makes them so special....I have heard nothing but good things. almost bought a Banser once, but they are a bunch of work if you buy one in the raw and have to paint it and mount a pad etc.

Last edited by goodshot; 02/06/12.
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I built a 280AI using Lone wolf stock, Remington Ti action, Hart #2 barrel at 24� ,Talley lightweight rings and a Leupold 3.5-10x40 CDS. All said just a bit under 5� pounds.

I had no issues dealing with Lone wolf very friendly over the phone. I did send them my barrel action and the rifle was delivered on time.

Great stock for a lightweight.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Okie Hunter
I built a 280AI using Lone wolf stock, Remington Ti action, Hart #2 barrel at 24� ,Talley lightweight rings and a Leupold 3.5-10x40 CDS. All said just a bit under 5� pounds.

I had no issues dealing with Lone wolf very friendly over the phone. I did send them my barrel action and the rifle was delivered on time.

Great stock for a lightweight.

Wow, that is really really light for a 24" barreled LA!

That's with the 12.6 oz Leupold on it?

What did the stock weigh?

I'd love to see a pic or two.

Last edited by nsaqam; 02/06/12.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have had a couple lone wolf stocks. I like their lines and the openness of the grip, it seems to fit my hand well. I am not impressed with their painting or finish. It seems to chip easier than my other custom stocks. Lone Wolf's customer service is less than it should be also. Customer service is important to me when buying a custom stock, so I won't buy another Lone Wolf.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I also replaced the firing pin assembly with a lightweight Gre-Tan assembly and the stainless trigger guard for an aluminum one. The stock was about 15oz,scope 12.6oz, barrel about 40oz shank was turned down a bit.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I owned 2 Lone Wolf stocks. The worksmanship and his bedding jobs are second to none.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
All

Please let me correct the weight on my rifle it�s 6 pound 8 ounces with the scope 5 3/4 without.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Brown Precision makes great stocks. I have several and like them all. 4 'pounders; kevlar and epoxy.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by docbill
Brown Precision makes great stocks. I have several and like them all. 4 'pounders; kevlar and epoxy.

The "pounder" will get the nod on my next build.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Has any one used Wayne Yorks stocks he makes them for MRC rifles.
Offers LH and they are light. Around $300 for a blank bedded.
http://www.oregunsmithingllc.com/Pendleton-Composite-Stocks.html

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (1beaver_shooter, 1shotnokilz, 1eyedmule, 1Longbow, 160user, 1234, 76 invisible), 3,605 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,636
Posts18,533,365
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.