Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by adamrs
And how do people feel comfort wise (not so much including accuracy) as dropping elk with their .270s?

I got a spike bull last year with a .270. In some circles it would be sacreligous but I used a regular ol' Hornady 130 gr Interlock. One shot & it was about a 5 hour pack off the mt.

The .270 is a versatile cartridge & you will do fine with it.

To give you an idea of how confident I am in the cartridge, if I draw a moose tag this year & cannot use my pistol I will probably use the .270. Again with the Hornady load.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
I am a Utah resident now as well as going to school here. I grew up in California, but living out here a couple years ago, I switched residencies to buy guns and licenses and carry. So I would only hunt Utah.

Being said, the issue with recoil isn't my size. 6`1`` and 225, I can physically take recoil no problem. With out twitching at the shot is why I considered it more lack of experience, having only fired a few shots. My first impressions had always been positive with the .270 (granted I did like the .270 gun itself better as well)

As for the rifle, I have been thinking of the savage "RIFLE SUGGESTED BY 340mag" mentioned, but have not much thought about the weatherby. I ll try to handle that. Savage is just coming out with a new one, the axis? and ruger has their new american rifle coming out, which seems to have some good reviews. Anything that should be considered more than feel and trigger preference of the rifle when deciding?

Again, thanks guys for the posts!

You don't need a 340 Weatherby for elk. Let alone deer which is your main hunting.

Don't get caught up in the hype of big magnums. They're good for guys who don't have the skill to get closer, or hit the kill zone.

maybe that makes the post above clearer, I never suggested he get anything but a 270 win,
(but Id have selected a 30/06-35 whelen personally)

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I plan an purchasing and having this year to practice to start hunting this fall. Any advice out there? And how do people feel comfort wise (not so much including accuracy) as dropping elk with their .270s?

I have seen close to 100 Elk killed with the 270 Winchester(Grew up as a packers son)...The 130 Nosler/140 Trophy Bonded(My choices) will kill any Elk if you do your part.

Jayco

A
adamrs Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
sorry I wrote that wrong... I meant to mention the display name, not the caliber. I meant the rifle in general, but yes in a .270.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
good advice on here. I've taken a few with 150 partitions. Barnes tsx 130s also a great choice. Nice thing about 270 is that you can sight it at 250 and just not worry about elevation for most elk hunting situations. And yeah, blue box Federal 130s have killed about a million elk. The most important thing is choose something you are comfortable with and shoot it enough from field positions, with sticks, etc. etc. that you're confident.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've taken several elk with my .270, and deer also. It's a fine cartridge for elk and other similar sized game. I use 130 gr. Barnes triple shock X bullets here in AZ where ranges are shorter, and used 150 gr. bullets in Colorado where ranges are longer.

Think direction first, then velocity.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Brad
I have a total of 1,250 150 Nosler Partition's on hand for my 270, and I plan on making it my go-to hunting rifle for at least the next decade... or more.

Dang.....and here I thought my 700+ elk killing 150 gr Partitions would've beat you out.........

Ok shooters pro shop, here I come.......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
I have a total of 1,250 150 Nosler Partition's on hand for my 270, and I plan on making it my go-to hunting rifle for at least the next decade... or more.

Dang.....and here I thought my 700+ elk killing 150 gr Partitions would've beat you out.........

Ok shooters pro shop, here I come.......

Casey

Dang, I'm sitting on only 250 or so of the 150 Partitions. Plus 150 of the 130s, and 200 140 Accubonds, maybe a couple hundred 130 Interlocks and a few 140 TSXs. Guess I need to stock up before I run out!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I only have 20.

Good enough for 20 elk. smile

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I know a guide in British Columbia who got his first rifle, a .270, at age 12. He is now in his mid-30s and that's the only rifle he uses for elk, moose, deer, sheep, etc., all with the 130-grain bullets; he did't say which brand. The ONLY time he uses a larger rifle is when he guides for grizzly bear, in which case he carries a .458 Winchester magnum. He told me that he has killed at least 10 moose with that rifle and 130-grain bullets and never had a problem.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
IC B3

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The limitation for the 270 is no big lions, tigers, or bears, unless you have to.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
[Linked Image]

It isn't an elk, but bigger. And he died about 120 Miles north and west of Edmonton, Alberta to the vanilla Remington 700 ADL in .270 WCF with 130gr Federal Fusion ammo.
I'd shoot anything I felt the need to eat with that combo, including a good bull elk.

AF
Let your work be shown to your servants, and your glorious power to their children.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am looking at getting my first hunting rifle! and was hoping for now as a college student to keep it to one rifle for mostly deer, but with the option for occasional elk.

First- reading previous posts I understand the need for the accuracy of the shooter and that is why I have been thinking of the 270. I have shot both that and a 308. The 270 I was consistently accurate to 300 yards where as the 308 (due to flinch and lack of experience I assume had trouble at 200 yards). Different days, but felt uneasy with out practice with the bigger rifle and very comfortable with the 270.

I plan an purchasing and having this year to practice to start hunting this fall. Any advice out there? And how do people feel comfort wise (not so much including accuracy) as dropping elk with their .270s?
For your purposes, I suggest a 30-06. The recoil is very little different than a 270 and ammo is much easier to find on sale. I've killed many deer and elk with the 270 and a few with a 30-06 and find very little difference. A 30-06 with 180 gr bullets is about as good of an all around gun as you can get.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rem338win
[Linked Image]

It isn't an elk, but bigger. And he died about 120 Miles north and west of Edmonton, Alberta to the vanilla Remington 700 ADL in .270 WCF with 130gr Federal Fusion ammo.
I'd shoot anything I felt the need to eat with that combo, including a good bull elk.

338: Nice bull! Sounds like you got him not far from Grand Prairie....no?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by rem338win
[Linked Image]

Very nice! Congrats, rem338win!

I'm going to go with a different rifle this year after spending the last 4 years with Kimber Montana 300WSM. My top choice right now is something in a .270 flavor. I only hunt elk, mulies and antelope and really can't think of any good reasons not to run a .270, but can think of a lot of good reasons why I should.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
adamrs,
The confidence level to harvest an elk with a .270 is directly proportional to your shooting ability.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gravestone

By Chuck Hawks

I throw up a little in my mouth every time I see that name mentioned...

just go read his article about how terrible tikka rifles shoot.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My first and only Elk was shot with an older Remington 721 that I had glass bedded. A friend worked up a load with 150 grain Nosler Partisions at abot 2800-2900 fps( I did not have a chronograph back then).... I think he used IMR 4831 or 4350....... Can't remember. I shot a very respectable 5 x 5 bull in Colorado. The 150 Nosler dropped it at about 200 yards. I still have the bullet, perfect peeled back expansion to the partision...........just like it is supposed to work. I gave that rifle to a neighbor that could not afford one and just recently bought a Sako A7 in 270. I can't think of a better all around caliber for what you plan to do. If I have learned anything at all over my 38 years of big game hunting with either a bow, shotgun slug or high powered rifle it is ALL about shot placement with the weapon of choice. I find a 270 very easy to shoot, they kill well, shoot very flat and are chambered in many reasonable priced accurate rifles. I don't think you can go wrong. Anyone who tries to tell you the 270 is not a good round does not know much.........find a better advisor. Good luck with your purchase, and enjoy the great sport of big game hunting. Goodshot

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by Gravestone

By Chuck Hawks

I throw up a little in my mouth every time I see that name mentioned...

just go read his article about how terrible tikka rifles shoot.

I lost all respect for him when he bad mouthed Tikkas. I have one and it is better than my Rem. SPS and better than my Savage.

Anyway, I think Americans way under estimate the killing power of our rifles.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Chuck Hawke, a legend in his own mind. As for the choice of a 270 as your only rifle at this point in your life young man. Its a good one, I would suggest that you go with a good fixed 4x or 6x scope for it and good strong mounts. I like Ruger's M-77's a lot because of the mounts that are as bullet proof as you can get. The 270 is plenty for elk and has been for decades. Ammo is easy to get. Blue box Federals is about as cheap a box of ammo you can buy for hunting, and they shoot well in most rifles too. Have fun with it, don't over think it, and don't let College turn you into a Communist.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (160user, 12savage, 1badf350, 1234, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 1,904 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,171
Posts18,523,652
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.