Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Several years ago, I traded for this John Dewey Luger. Mr. Dewey was a gunsmith back in the '60's. His son (and grandson) own and operate J. Dewey Manufacturing, Southbury, CT, makers of gun cleaning equipment, a name familiar to most gun nuts.

Mr. Dewey was a perfectionist and it shows in his work. I talked to his grandson at the J. Dewey company and was told the old man didn't keep very good records. The grandson was really interested in this gun and wanted it. If I ever decide to sell it, he will be the first one I call.

The gun has a ported 10" bbl and shoots like a rifle. The trigger is surprisingly good for a Luger. Mr. Dewey skillfully mounted an adjustable Micro target sight on the toggle.

The shoulder holster is a Bianchi and was actually made years ago for a long barreled Hi Standard target pistol. It just happens to fit this Luger very well.

The target was shot at 20 yds. over a bag with Fed. 115 gr. HP factory ammo.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Neat rig. smile

Skeeter Skelton wrote of folks who hunted small game with Lugers in the Depression. I've often thought it would be fun to have one of the 6" .30's - or even a Arty model smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very cool gun. The all time greatest Luger man was John Martz (not sure if he's still alive). When I lived in Sacramento I'd catch Martz at some of the bigger gun shows, often he was there to try to buy Lugers or Broomhandle Mausers. I recall a Luger Carbine he had made in .38 Super that was just off the charts cool. Then there was (IIRC) a 3 gun set of an Artillery Luger, Standard 4" Army Luger, and then a severely cut down "baby" Luger; all in .38 Super. Just off the charts cool.

One of his most common requests were the .45 ACP Lugers, which were always executed with absolute precision. I've also seen Martz Lugers in 7.62 Tokarev, .40 S&W, and .357 Sig.

Here's a .357 Sig: http://www.gunsamerica.com/992506377/Guns/Pistols/Luger-Pistols/Luger_John_Martz_P08_in_357_SIG.htm

Baby (although I've seen one's he's cut the grip fram much further down: http://www.liveauctionworld.com/John-Martz-Custom-DWM-Baby-Luger-Pistol_i9752949

Baby P-38: http://www.phoenixinvestmentarms.com/History%20Book/1365MartzP38.htm

Martz Carbine: http://users.skynet.be/HL-Editions/ebook/lumodels.htm

And for some truely weird Luger morphism go here:http://www.waffen-werle.de/ then click on Gallery.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I sold Mr. Martz a couple of Lugers and P-38's when I lived down there. Fascinating man.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember visiting him in his shop in, I think Grass Valley or nearby. He had copies of gun magazines all over his walls that had his custom Lugers featured on thier covers. He was happy to show off his wares such as the Baby Lugers you mentioned and other fascinating customs as well as highly collectable Lugers and P-38's.

I remember a quote of his from one of my visits to his shop. He was showing me an artillery model Luger with its long barrel, buttstock, ladder sight regulated to 1,000 meters and said "The reasons the Germans lost two world wars is because while they were making intricate complicated guns like these the Allies were cranking out 1911's and similar by the millions".

That idea has stuck with me all these years and to hear it from a certifiable Luger nut and expert among experts was quite a revelation.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Kevin,

Thanks for those links. John Martz was quite a craftsman and there seems to be a good demand for his work, as reflected in the prices.

Mark,

Appreciate those comments. Nothing like a first hand account.

DF

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Dirtfarmer...what a GREAT gun!!!! The installation of that rear sight makes it look like it came from the factory...thanks for sharing...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dirtfarmer,

The trick to keeping a Luger working well is the magazine spring. Because the Luger has such a fast action, when a magazine spring begins to take a set, sometimes it can set enough that it doesn�t advance the next round fast enough (top round is compressed in the magazine until the bolt opens up). If you ever encounter any persistent feed issues, try a new magazine spring.

Your Luger is VERY cool, he did a nice job. I�ll bet that one�s fun to shoot.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Kevin,

Thanks for the tip. Yes, it's a hoot to shoot and accurate to boot... laugh

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Neat rig. smile

Skeeter Skelton wrote of folks who hunted small game with Lugers in the Depression. I've often thought it would be fun to have one of the 6" .30's - or even a Arty model smile

I remember as a lad, listening to war stories from cousin who was a sniper in WWII, both in the European and Pacific theaters. He and an ole boy from Texas got their hands on an artillery model and entertained themselves with how far they could hit stuff. He seemed impressed with it.

DF

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
.7" at 20 yds is around 3.5 MOA by my calculations. My Les Baer long slide has a 1 1/2" guarantee at 50 yds, which is 3 MOA. This Luger may do even better than 3.5 MOA with handloads, I just never spent that much time with it.

Bottom line. It shoots almost as well as what may be the most accurate production pistol currently being produced. Not bad for a hundred year old gun with a 50 year old overhaul.

DF

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I remember when those guns where first out, back in the 60's. They were and are the real deal in a truly fantastic Lugar.
They inspired me to play with a couple of Lugars. I even thought hard about getting him to redo one for me. But, as a struggling student, I simply couldn't afford one.
Eventually, I found a Browning HP with a decent trigger and had Micro Gunsight put an adjustable rear sight and taller front sight on it. That was all that gun needed.
I regret selling my old HP. If I had your gun, I seriously doubt I'd ever sell it. E

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have several that I probably won't sell. My son is an up and coming gun Loony and appreciates his inheritance.

Here is another that is a keeper. Be sure you have some time before tackling this site... smile

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=124719

DF

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (007FJ, 02bfishn, 1minute, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 64 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,434
Posts18,470,811
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.