NIKON PROSTAFF - 480 CLICKS OF CAN-DO!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6192689 - 02/19/12 Re: Interesting Family Connection To Africa [Re: rxgremlin]
PieterKriel Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Pretoria, South Africa
Originally Posted By: rxgremlin
Just out of curiosity why do few people call it the Second Boer War or the Second Anglo Boer War? There were two of them you know. In fact I was talking to a PH and she had no idea there was a first. Any thoughts?

The politically correct term for it would be "First War of Independance" and then obviously Second one (1899 - 1902). First one only lasted about 6 months if memory serves me right. This could be why few people really knowing about it. Also, the term Anglo Boer War almost never is mentioned as the 2nd ABW.

The British were also involved in a number of battles against the Zulu Nation. Noteably the Battle of Isandlawana and the Battle of Rorkes Drift on the 18th and 19th of January 1879 which took place not too far from the Battle of Blood River (16 December 1838). In the Isandlawana battle the British suffered their biggest defeat against a non-rifle bearing opponent to date and at Rorkes Drift the most Victoria Crosses (VC's) which should be the same as the American Congressional Medal of Honor (CMO) were awarded for bravery in any battle in the British military history.

RV 728 BP
#6192720 - 02/19/12 Re: Interesting Family Connection To Africa [Re: PieterKriel]
hillbillybear Online   content
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Western NC
ZULU

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058777/

is a great movie about Rorke's Drift

One of the very best war movies I have ever seen.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

“If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.” Ronald Reagan.

#6192764 - 02/19/12 Re: Interesting Family Connection To Africa [Re: hillbillybear]
PieterKriel Offline
Campfire Regular

HBB I have a Brit friend who is one of only 3 registered photo safaris in the country who may conduct tours on ALL the Anglo Boer War battlefields. I'm sure the old man would take the time to talk to you if you like?

Bob Wood

#6193151 - 02/19/12 Re: Interesting Family Connection To Africa [Re: PieterKriel]
Campfire Kahuna

Now that is my kind of vacation/tour trip.

I would definitely like to converse with this gentleman.

Edited by hillbillybear (02/19/12)

“If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.” Ronald Reagan.

#6196391 - 02/20/12 Re: Interesting Family Connection To Africa [Re: hillbillybear]
PieterKriel Offline
Campfire Regular

Be warned, he is OLD. wink In fact, when he lifts his arms you can see ancient rock paintings in his arm pits! grin

Seriously I enjoy his knowledge and his dedication. I told him about this post and he is more than willing to help in any way.

#6196983 - 02/20/12 Re: Interesting Family Connection To Africa [Re: PieterKriel]
Campfire Kahuna

It pays to pay attention to the ancient ones.

Old Farts know lots of stuff grin

#6196989 - 02/20/12 Re: Interesting Family Connection To Africa [Re: hillbillybear]
Campfire Kahuna

Since we are discussing military history and such in Southern Africa, did anyone serve with or know Colonel Ron Reid-Daly or his outfit?

#6198226 - 02/20/12 Re: Interesting Family Connection To Africa [Re: hillbillybear]
PieterKriel Offline
Campfire Regular

I was unfortunately too young to and my dad too old to. I have his book and I have read it many times. He died just a short while ago unfortunately.

One of the many stories I remember about him was using a one-arm guy who could assemble and take apart an AK faster that most two handed people. There are some really great stories in the book, do you have it?

#6198692 - 02/20/12 Re: Interesting Family Connection To Africa [Re: PieterKriel]
Campfire Kahuna

Yes, its a great volume. I once met a professor from England who took great umbrage that I spoke favorably of Reid-Daly in my lectures.

In fact the old boy damn near took a swing at me for supporting an "oppressor of the people's rights."

#6201008 - 02/21/12 Re: Interesting Family Connection To Africa [Re: hillbillybear]
PieterKriel Offline
Campfire Regular

Interesting how points of view differ! Hope you could talk some sense into him, but as is the case with most of those suckers it's like talking to door. Only difference is a door will talk more sense back to you.

One old fart who is celebrating his birthday today is 88 yo Bob. Not the one that knows about the Anglo Boer War, but ole Bob North of the Limpopo. I do not have it marked on the family birthday calendar, no sir, it was on radio news when I dropped the kids off at school this morning.

Now what shall I wish for his birthday...............?

#6201148 - 02/21/12 Re: Interesting Family Connection To Africa [Re: PieterKriel]
Campfire Kahuna

It would be easier to teach my neighbor's jackass to sing Italian opera in Mandarin Chinese that it would be to talk sense to that professor from England.

Perhaps I could have beaten some sense into him. But even that would have been an all day job to get thru his hard liberal head.

Edited by hillbillybear (02/21/12)

#6201204 - 02/21/12 Re: Interesting Family Connection To Africa [Re: hillbillybear]
rxgremlin Offline

Your post could be equally true about Uncle Bob north of the Limpopo.

Pieter maybe you could wish for some cholera in the party punch bowl. Maybe that way he could get a taste of what his subjects have suffered through during his reign.

Edited by rxgremlin (02/21/12)

#6201224 - 02/21/12 Re: Interesting Family Connection To Africa [Re: rxgremlin]
Campfire Kahuna

I am about half asleep this morning and it didn't register with me who Bob North of the Limpopo was.

I think a pre-frontal lobotomy with 175 grain Matchking would be just the ticket for his birthday gift.

#6201472 - 02/21/12 Re: Interesting Family Connection To Africa [Re: hillbillybear]
rxgremlin Offline

Maybe the Campfire members who have Netflix should "celebrate" Bob's birthday by watching "Mugabe and the White African". It is available streaming and if you haven't seen it please take the time to watch it.

Mugabe and the White African

Edited by rxgremlin (02/21/12)

#6201533 - 02/21/12 Re: Interesting Family Connection To Africa [Re: hillbillybear]
Dirtfarmer Online   content
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Central Louisiana
HBB,

Wonderful post. I enjoyed reading it and would have taken your course if given the chance. Too bad that lecture series couldn't be on DVD like so many top courses now are.

Very distinguished looking gentleman in the photo. I'm sure you're proud of your heritage, as you should be. It is fun to look back over one's heritage and ask, what would I be doing if I was alive back then?

Thanks for taking the time to post this.

DF

#6201741 - 02/21/12 Re: Interesting Family Connection To Africa [Re: Dirtfarmer]
Campfire Kahuna

Thank you for the kind words

#6202055 - 02/21/12 Re: Interesting Family Connection To Africa [Re: hillbillybear]
Campfire 'Bwana

Seriously, if you ever do that lecture series again, have it video taped and make some DVD's. I would like a copy and doubt if I'm the only one.

DF

#6202216 - 02/21/12 Re: Interesting Family Connection To Africa [Re: Dirtfarmer]
Campfire Kahuna

Me on videotape. Now that would be a hoot. grin

#6202596 - 02/21/12 Re: Interesting Family Connection To Africa [Re: hillbillybear]
Campfire 'Bwana

That's not too unlike the story of the prophet Balem in the Old Testament. It was the message from the Lord, spoken by Balem's donkey, that saved the ole boy's bacon. Bottom line, it's not the messenger, it's the message... smile

So, we may have to look at you on the DVD, but that would be OK. It's the message we are wanting to hear... laugh

BTW, there are still a lot of donkeys out there preaching the Word... shocked

DF

#6202788 - 02/21/12 Re: Interesting Family Connection To Africa [Re: Dirtfarmer]
Campfire Kahuna

Originally Posted By: Dirtfarmer
That's not too unlike the story of the prophet Balem in the Old Testament. It was the message from the Lord, spoken by Balem's donkey, that saved the ole boy's bacon. Bottom line, it's not the messenger, it's the message... smile

So, we may have to look at you on the DVD, but that would be OK. It's the message we are wanting to hear... laugh

BTW, there are still a lot of donkeys out there preaching the Word... shocked

DF

I never thought about it like that. Man, you are good for my ego. grin

#6203326 - 02/21/12 Re: Interesting Family Connection To Africa [Re: hillbillybear]
medicman Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Ontario Canada
I hate to be a stickler, but it was Balem's Azz (misspelled on purpose to print, substitute ss for zz)

Randy
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff

#6204734 - 02/22/12 Re: Interesting Family Connection To Africa [Re: rxgremlin]
PieterKriel Offline
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted By: rxgremlin
Pieter maybe you could wish for some cholera in the party punch bowl. Maybe that way he could get a taste of what his subjects have suffered through during his reign.

wink

#6218369 - 02/25/12 Re: Interesting Family Connection To Africa [Re: PieterKriel]
Campfire Kahuna

Has anyone ran into some/one of the Mauser rifles with the Boer Free State markings on the receiver ring?

#6218417 - 02/25/12 Re: Interesting Family Connection To Africa [Re: hillbillybear]
PieterKriel Offline
Campfire Regular

War Museum Joburg, collection of Armscor in the Armscor building Pretoria and at Fort Klapperkop in Pretoria.

The latter two have most likely gone to bits due to a lack of interest and qualified personnel.

Come to think of it the National Cultural History Museum in Pretoria might just have a few examples. NCHM is part of the Ditsong Museums together with the War Museum. Person to talk to at NCHM is Jan van den Bos.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
RV 180 2
CLICK HERE for HUGE SUMMER DAYS SAVINGS on ZEISS OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
RV 160 1 2
RV 160 2 2
CLICK HERE to see SUPERB STEINER OPTICS!
Who's Online
558 registered (222Sako, 17_wizzer, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 1minute, 53 invisible), 1222 Guests and 342 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RV 160 3 2
Forum Stats
53,262 Registered Members
72 Forums
687,268 Topics
9,927,049 Posts

Most users ever online: 4,830 @ 12/02/14

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.