Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
So as not to hijack the crooked stirrup thread, I want to start this one concerning the use of flat bottom stirrups vs others.

Since eary times,the saddle has been widely equipped with flat bottom stirrups with most of the major disciplines. English riding, racing, western ,etc.

You'd think since there has been so many improvemnets over saddle design that there would have been a likley progression of stirrup design. Although there are differnt types,as to heigth,width, tread, they all still basically adhere to the flat bottom with the exception of a few like the ox bow.

Walk into any reputable saddle shop and see what is usualy provided from mill run saddles. They are flat bottoms. Then go to a custom saddle maker and most are turned out with flat bottoms.
Observe people who make a living horse back and most are still using flat bottom.

In the arena, ditto

There are a lot of variations out there such as the one that turns the stirrup 90 degrees, the crooked stirrup,the break away stirrup( which I ride), or the english iron,but basically they are the same, ie flat bottomed.

The ox bow however is rounded and from what I have learned, is meant to be ridden with the foot jammed all the way into the stirrup up to the heel.I suppose this is from the idea that if you think you can ride the horse out, jam your foot all the way in,if not keep the foot out aways.

To me, on long rides, the flat bottom stirurp is just more comnfortable. I have tried several times to make the ox bow work for me,but have not been succesful.

So what do you think are the attributes of each and the why they are used?

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/19/12.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't know anybody who rides oxbows in the back country. Wade tree saddles, flat bottom stirrups 3" or larger.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
With a high, undercut boot heel an oxbow stirrup provides some increased security when a horse bucks. A bronc saddle being a good example. I like the platform a flat, wide stirrup gives me, and certainly appreciate it when posting a trot or roping. The oxbow introduces a different mechanical dimension that I was never able to adapt to but my style is not everyone's. For example, I ride more on the ball of my foot that most people but that's what's most comfortable for me.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
No different than riding a motorcycle, the foot board style is more comfortable than the pegs on long rides back when I rode bikes.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I don't know anybody who rides oxbows in the back country. Wade tree saddles, flat bottom stirrups 3" or larger.

Dont know anyone that rides Oxbows around here, but for comfort I too like Wade tree saddles, and flat bottom stirrups(I prefer the crooked stirrup design myself.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think you guy's have pretty much nailed it. I ride a Wade saddle and flat bottom stirrup's when riding out most of the time. However, I also ride Oxbow's under certain cercumstance's. IME oxbow's are great for situation's when you want to keep your stirrup's ( riding young horse's or when showing at cutting or reined cowhorse). The caveat is that you really want to be careful of the type of footwear you have on. I ride leather soled boot's with high heel's when riding Oxbow's. When riding flat bottom stirrup's, yoy have more lattitude. Rubber soled boot's ( especially of certain style's) tend to me to lock your foot too securely into the stirrup.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I run into a few guys that ride oxbows for everything.

They are not for me. Along with the high undercut heel I think the boot needs a real solid, stiff sole to support the foot.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You're right, Ralphie, and it also helps if they have a really strong arch.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Tony Llama double leather sole's. They work pretty well, but still your feet will be a bit sore at the end of the day.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

getting ready to start her shift gathering at around 6-7000' to move to low country. theres no flat spots in this territory, all up and down. thats about a 80' drop right behind her.
doesn't matter as much what stirrup if you're not doing anything, if you're asking one to do something, if you're working a horse, and you're braced up with flat bottom stirrups, you'll have your foot right into their shoulder and be in thier way everytime they try to move. If you just want to turn one around in the middle of a couple thousand acres doesn't make much difference. the reason you put your foot into the stirrup is so you don't loose a stirrup. i guess break-away stirrups are a good idea for those that can't stay mounted; either that or you could roll onto your belly so your foot comes out.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
RA, And I see you have the proper boot's for riding oxbow's. I rode nothing but oxbow's for a long time, but for wnatever reason, it was just getting too uncomfortable. I still ride oxbow's at time's, but I find that a narrow tread stirrup work's pretty well too with the foot in up to the heel.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
When I sit in the saddle I can just see my toes over my knee cap when I look down. I really don't have any weight in the stirrups except the weight of my legs. Diving off of switch backs, pulling unwilling pack strings or ducking under low hanging trees or branches I need to put my weight in that stirrup to stay on some times. I really don't believe I would like the ox bows in my arch

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

142 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 35, 44mc, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 7887mm08, 10 invisible), 1,559 guests, and 931 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,996
Posts18,481,156
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.