Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by JCC"
Nope. Biggest buck I ever saw came out at dusk years ago. Binoculars confirmed it was a shooter and the old leupold did the trick. And it was a B&C net. grin
However, now we hunt hogs after dark in moonlight with our deer rifles in TX and wish I had the best scope available. Especially one with an illuminated dot in the crosshairs. Tough to see the crosshairs on the black hogs except on the brightest nights."

True but hunting hogs at night is a different game altogether and pretty much a specialized game, sort of like arguing that a trap gun is great for grouse hunting. Shoot a deer like that and in most if not all states you're in the pokey. I think your first statement pretty much nails what the OP is pointing out and is really questioning the overkill the alpha glass lovers use in their arguments to denigrate anyone that buys a good standard middle of the road hunting scope.
jcc

Last edited by bangeye; 02/20/12.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JCC"
Nope. Biggest buck I ever saw came out at dusk years ago. Binoculars confirmed it was a shooter and the old leupold did the trick. And it was a B&C net. grin
However, now we hunt hogs after dark in moonlight with our deer rifles in TX and wish I had the best scope available. Especially one with an illuminated dot in the crosshairs. Tough to see the crosshairs on the black hogs except on the brightest nights."

True but hunting hogs at night is a different game altogether and pretty much a specialized game, sort of like arguing that a trap gun is great for grouse hunting. Shoot a deer like that and in most if not all states you're in the pokey. I think your first statement pretty much nails what the OP is pointing out and is really questioning the overkill the alpha glass lovers use in their arguments to denigrate anyone that buys a good standard middle of the road hunting scope.
jcc

How about this for hog hunting at night?

[Linked Image]

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good posts, nice 'Hubble Scope' there for Hogs! smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Holy crap, look how the shade follows the barrel taper....how many MOA is that base?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It's on a Near Mfg. 20 MOA base and cradled in a Near Mfg. Alpha mount.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
For years I always wondered why my hunting partner always got back to the truck so early. He would always be there for close to an hour before I got there. One time I asked him why he got back so early when it was still legal shooting hours. Answer ? it was too dark for him to see to shoot with his $39 Tasco. I had him look through my scope , which at risk of starting a brand war is a Leupold.An hour after he got back to the truck we could still see good enough to shoot out to about 75 yards . Next season he had a Nikon and doesn't come back early anymore.

Everything I say to you is a lie , and that is the truth.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (007FJ, 21, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 69 invisible), 2,572 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,916
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.