-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I noticed a .77 percent return on the current TIPS. I guess the object is not necessarily to make money on your investment, rather to preserve capital?

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by MacLorry
Here's an article on Reuters. Potential market impact of a Greek default

Likely the value of the dollar will increase, so oil and gold prices will drop some. If the European stock markets take a big dip, many investors will have a second chance to make lots of money by getting in after the drop. They only need to look at the drop and recovery of the U.S. stock market to see a tremendous opportunity to make lots of money.

Of course, if they have their money in gold, they'll have to sell it to take advantage of this rare opportunity. As with any commodity, the risk of holding gold is that the market price may drop. Being Gold's value is primarily as a hedge investment, once investors feel they can make a lot of money in the markets they'll get out of gold and they know that once the price starts to drop it will drop fast and far, which will turbo-charge the sell off. Maybe I'm wrong, but you only need to look at housing prices over the last 20 years to see that this is what a bubble looks like.

[Linked Image]

MacLorry -
I tried to copy the chart but was unable to succeed, so here is a link :

http://dollardaze.org/blog/posts/00751/mb.png

THIS is what a bubble looks like!!!! It is self evident why precious metals have seen such a rapid rise. If you truely believe that the Fed is going to quit printing money, then by all means, short the metals. If not, then start stacking.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by mike762
Originally Posted by sactoller
God I hope they let it fail!

Be careful what you wish for, as four of our largest banks hold multi trillions worth of CDS contracts. If they-Greece-does default, and I mean a formal hard default, then there's no way that the ISDA can rule that a default didn't happen. If that's the case you have a reprise of AIG, only on a much grander scale.

As to it's effect on gold, the question you have to ask is what is your counterparty risk? If the ISDA rules that Greece's default isn't really a default, or that some of the bonds issued under English Law have seniority over those issued under Greek Law, then you have a defacto abrogation of bond holder's rights, and ALL paper is questionable, no matter the issuer-including US Treasury paper.

Gold has no counterparty-IF you hold physical in possession.

There is nothing safer or better for preserving wealth, especially in these times of moving definitions and thievery being done under the auspices of sovereign central banks and their commercial offspring.

it's also interesting to note as to who controls the ISDA. The major money center banks. Do you really think they will call a default, a default when they themselves are subject to so much counter party risk? You can count a LOT of whatever on the head of the pin. The semantics and word splitting in the financial media is really the worst i have ever seen it as to so many things. It will be interesting to see a default reworded so it really isn't a default.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
I noticed a .77 percent return on the current TIPS. I guess the object is not necessarily to make money on your investment, rather to preserve capital?

check the yield on a five year treasury, then check the stated but bogus yearly inflation rate. Then tell me it is a good investment when you have a guaranteed loss in purchasing power.
Then have the bernacke openly admit they intend devaluing the dollar. A screw job all the way around.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by mike762
What's wrong with this possibility is that it has what is known as "chained risk". A default in Greece could lead to a daisy chain of defaults in banks within Europe, and trigger Credit Default Swaps (insurance) that four of our largest banks have written against a default in Greece.

Even if the ISDA (International Swaps and Derivatives Association) deems that a default has NOT occurred, the market for debt instruments could decide otherwise, thus causing losses in ALL bonds issued by weaker sovereigns such as Portugal, Ireland, Spain, et al, and would call into question the value of any paper without specific collateral backing it up.

If that happens you get declines in the equities of the financial institutions involved. Since finance is more than half of all the players on most stock markets, a major decline could occur there too. A simultaneous decline in both bond and equities markets is the worst of all worlds, especially for those with fiduciary obligations such as pension plans and insurance companies, especially if they have exposure to any of the players involved either through bond issues or equity holdings.

In essence what you get is a collapse of the world's financial system brought about by a lack of confidence that no paper issued by ANYONE is worth what it's printed upon.

That's what is at stake, and unfortunately, is inevitable at some point.

+1

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Just remember bond funds can decline rapidly in value like many other investments. With bonds that's a very real possibility at this juncture.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SodFarmer
MacLorry �
I tried to copy the chart but was unable to succeed, so here is a link :

[Linked Image]

THIS is what a bubble looks like!!!! It is self evident why precious metals have seen such a rapid rise. If you truely believe that the Fed is going to quit printing money, then by all means, short the metals. If not, then start stacking.

No need to take the risk on gold either long or short when I can invest in TIPS, because their value is guaranteed to go up faster than inflation. Guess wrong with gold and you'll take a blood bath.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
MacLorry -
I understand what you are getting at, but you still run much of the same risk because you are buying a dollar based asset. If things really go wrong, I would much rather own Gold or Silver than a piece of paper. I guess it comes down to how you see the likely future of the USD.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The advantage of investing in a fund that invests in TIPS is that market forces drive the price up when the risk of inflation is high. Take a look at the 5 year history of VIPSX.

[Linked Image]

Even in 2008 it lost less than 3% and then came roaring back. If the U.S. implements the Brazilian plan to erase the national debit (5000% inflation, but with special inflation protected accounts for citizens), money in something like VIPSX will keep up with that inflation and then some. On the other hand, if the economy comes roaring back VIPSX might only return 3% while gold could lose 50% as it must compete with stocks for investor money.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SodFarmer
MacLorry -
I understand what you are getting at, but you still run much of the same risk because you are buying a dollar based asset. If things really go wrong, I would much rather own Gold or Silver than a piece of paper. I guess it comes down to how you see the likely future of the USD.

If things really go wrong a real Sod Farmer would be in better shape than most. However, in such a scenario a better investment than gold is 25-year shelf-life food. It's the people who have food that those with gold will be coming to in hopes of trading and it will be the guy with food who sets the price.

IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
MacLorry -
You are right about the food and other life neccesities. With that being said, we are talking about money. All through history, as fiat currencies have failed, cultures have always gone back to gold and silver as a basis to back a new currency to start over with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What would be the effect on gold prices if the US returned to the gold and silver standard for our money?

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
What would be the effect on gold prices if the US returned to the gold and silver standard for our money?
It would go up as measured in buying power, because demand would suddenly go way up.

That said, rather than going back to a flawed gold standard, much better to return to our Constitutional system which is the mere acknowledgement that only gold and silver is money. All the Federal Government was authorized to do was to put money in coin form (They were prohibited from printing a paper currency of any sort, which was left entirely to private enterprise to make available), but folks remained free to contract in gold and silver in any form they chose. That was called the "free coinage system," not the gold standard. That's what the Founders wanted for Americans.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good point.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MacLorry
MacLorry �
Guess wrong with gold and you'll take a blood bath.

Guess wrong with bonds and you'll take a bath. Not even Vanguard Money Market funds guarantee that your account value won't loose $$$ or fall below a dollar per share.
Guess wrong with stocks and you'll take a bath.
Guess wrong with a fund manager and you'll take a bath.

Stop guessing and start investing. Wait for prices to turn in your favor instead of chasing the Ace irrespective of what the investment vehicle is.
Those who purchased wisely and proportiontely kept a balanced portfolio.
The Food analogy is flawed from my perspective. Investing and being prepared are separate issues.
If you bought Gold at $1800 and ounce and the value falls in half you still have monetary value. If you spent the same $1800 on MRE's and Chicken Little doesn't have his day your loss is 100%.
Placing 100% of your investment in fiat currency is a recipe for disappointment.

Dave

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You would have to revalue the FRN$'s outstanding to the amount of gold available. Depending upon which measure that you use, gold would have to be anywhere from a low of $7500/oz to $35,000/oz.

It would also depend upon whether the US HAS any gold left, or if it has all been sold, leased or swapped into the market to prop up the illusion of value that is the FRN$. There is ample evidence that our gold stocks have been severely depleted in these activities.

I have a bet with isaac that the US will return to some form of metals standard within the next three years. There really is no other option, regardless of what paperbugs tell you.

Paperbugs have a gullability that exceeds belief. IOW, they have faith in the promises of politicians, and in the charity of bankers, even though the historical record on both is very clear. They deserve to have their pockets picked and lose everything for which they've worked.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unlike before, however, we have 6 billion plus people to feed and that's only possible with our complex agricultural, transportation and distribution system. People in developed nations would be the worst hit if that system broke down. After the dust settles perhaps gold would again be the medium of exchange in the 19th century farming culture that would emerge in the aftermath of such a collapse.

If you have so much money that you can lay in a 25-year supply of food, fuel, medicine, tools and spare parts, by all means buy gold.

I don't believe there will be a collapse of the world economies due to funny money problems for the reasons I have already stated. However, an asteroid impact, Yellowstone eruption, pandemic, or nuclear war could cause such a collapse, and there are lots of people who spend lots of money preparing for such an event. As for me, I have better things to do with my money.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Stetson
Guess wrong with bonds and you'll take a bath. Not even Vanguard Money Market funds guarantee that your account value won't loose $$$ or fall below a dollar per share.
Guess wrong with stocks and you'll take a bath.
Guess wrong with a fund manager and you'll take a bath.

That's a given, but you said "**IF** that doesn't happen Gold will be a vastly better investment irrespective of what price point you bought in at." Gold at current prices has a much higher downside risk than many other investments.

Stop guessing and start investing. Wait for prices to turn in your favor instead of chasing the Ace irrespective of what the investment vehicle is.
Those who purchased wisely and proportiontely kept a balanced portfolio.

I've been investing for a long time and I made money during the crash, so I understand how to spread risks. My point is that investing in gold at current prices is a high risk investment and anyone claiming otherwise either doesn't know what they are talking about or they are selling something.

The Food analogy is flawed from my perspective. Investing and being prepared are separate issues.
If you bought Gold at $1800 and ounce and the value falls in half you still have monetary value. If you spent the same $1800 on MRE's and Chicken Little doesn't have his day your loss is 100%.

You forgot the obvious. If the collapse doesn't come say in 20 years, you start eating your food. No lose at all.

Placing 100% of your investment in fiat currency is a recipe for disappointment.

All paper and electronic money is fiat money even if it's backed by gold. You only need to look at history to see that the exchange rate of the dollar went from $20.67 per troy ounce to $35 by law (fiat) in 1934 all while on the gold standard.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The official exchange rate of dollars to troy ounces of gold would have to be set high enough so that there would be enough dollars to run our nearly 15 trillion dollar economy. Say we needed 10 trillion gold backed dollars, which is about the current money supply.

U.S. gold holdings peaked during World War II at 649.6 million troy ounces (now just 147.2 million troy ounces), but assuming we could magically get back to the peak holdings, each ounce would need to represent $15,394 dollars. Today gold opened at $1,734, so you would have to devalue the dollar to 11.3 cents in order to base it on gold. That would do wonders for our exports, but gas would be over $30 a gallon. Of course, if you have gold dental crowns and bridges the gold in your mouth would be worth more than your life is many back alleys.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S

"Today gold opened at $1,734, so you would have to devalue the dollar to 11.3 cents in order to base it on gold."

MacLorry -
I think you have it backwards. Gold would be worth $15,394 per oz. The value of the dollar would remain the same.

Last edited by SodFarmer; 02/20/12.
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (17CalFan, 1badf350, 1936M71, 160user, 22250rem, 12344mag, 50 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,380 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,707
Posts18,475,350
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.