Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wildone
zip for me but I kind of expected it this time. Funny though one of the tags I applied for had 7 permits available but I only see 6 people drew it WTF is that all about?

That's not the first time they've lowered the number of permits after the fact. Luckily though, there's still some general harvest areas to hunt. If we're talking about moose anyways. Not sure what you put in for.

Do it today. Tomorrow there may be a law against it.
NRA Life Member
GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
What we really need in 15 is an open season on pyromania to bring the moose numbers up.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm determined more than ever to get a ram this year out of unit 14A before it (or the whole state for that matter) goes to draw. Also hoping to get a nice bull caribou out of unit 13 this year, too.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by UncleJake
I bet a moose calf call would work great in the Refuge....

I doubt that highly...

They've never seen nor heard a moose calf there! wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender
We ALL get to hunt browns on the KP this year.

I guess I should have been a little more clear when asking Bambi Stew about his Kenai brown bear hunt. I was referring to the spring season. But, thanks for the clarification, I.B. .

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bearstalker
I'm determined more than ever to get a ram this year out of unit 14A before it (or the whole state for that matter) goes to draw. Also hoping to get a nice bull caribou out of unit 13 this year, too.

You drew a tag in Unit 14A? Congratulations!!! Do you have a spot picked out? If not, hit me up and I'll share some info with you.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Permit holders for KP brownies have two seasons.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Maverick940

You drew a tag in Unit 14A? Congratulations!!! Do you have a spot picked out? If not, hit me up and I'll share some info with you.

No, I will just have a harvest ticket, again. I didn't draw a sheep tag.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
nuttin for me.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by UncleJake
I bet a moose calf call would work great in the Refuge....

I doubt that highly...

They've never seen nor heard a moose calf there! wink

Sure they have - for the last few years it's called come-to-dinner! And the remaining cows are getting long in the tooth, with no replacements, tho they keep trying.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Maverick940

No, I will just have a harvest ticket, again. I didn't draw a sheep tag.

Got it - north side of the road. I know a lot about that country, too. There's a drainage on the south side of the range that's pretty tough to get into and I've seen some good genetics in there. There's also a drainage on the west side of the range that's a helluva long hike and I know a guy (now deceased) who whacked a 173 B&C ram near the headwaters. Anyway, I really hope you get a good one. Let me know how you do.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender
Yes. BOG approved a registration brownie hunt for the KP. I *think* it is for Unit 15, but not certain if 7 is included.

IIRC, permits open Sept 10? and registration opens Oct 1.

Don't hold me to the dates and I don't swear by them, and I hear reporting requirements on the reg hunts will be short and tight.

But, there will be a reg hunt.

I'm wondering how the DLP quota will play into this? I haven't seen anything reguarding dates, other than what was in the proposal of replacing the permits with a registration hunt during the Sept 15-Nov 30 time frame.

Do you have any other information?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bambi:

The way the it works it that DLP is deducted from the harvestable surplus quota. In other words, DLP bear count against the quota and a female bears killed exacerbate the decrease in the total harvestable surplus. What that means, is that when a certain percentage of female bears are killed, then the entire quota is "capped", or has reached it's goal, whether or not the actual quota of male bears was met. So, in a nutshell, DLP bears are also counted against the human-caused mortality quota.

Maverick

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
you'd think the bastids could afford 23 cents to send me a postcard that says "thanks for donating again you big jabroni, hope you'll play again next year!" bwaaaahaaa

and folks wonder why I never play the lottery? (grin)

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I'm only hearing this second hand as I was unable to make the BOG meetings. the details will come out with the regs by 1 July.

My understanding is that because brown permits were let in the recent supplement and a registration hunt was approved, permit winners get a 16 day, IIRC, head start over the registration hunt start. Additionally, they may get a spring season depending on numbers of bears killed by all means and the gender distribution.

IOW, permits start Sept 15 and the registration opens Oct 1. So, permit winners have some overlap with moose season and hopefully gut piles can be put to good use. Registration hunters will likely focus on stinky bears.

Last edited by ironbender; 02/20/12.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Like the fish would not have them stinky enough already...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Out over $200 again for nothing? Congrats Art! They cancelled the Cow moose hunts and kept the money don,t seem right if my information is right.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've done that KP brown bear registration hunt before and if they in fact do it again, you best be out there the day they open it. We hiked over 24 miles round trip in our waders looking for a brownie and all we saw were tracks, 1 dead blac bear (hit by a train) and a couple of bull moose. I'll be surprised if they actually open it to registration hunters.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Like the fish would not have them stinky enough already...

That was my reference, or did you mean by the time they get to a gut pile?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bears that time of year go back and forth between berries and fish, usually have the runs, and can be "special."

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 3,392 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,374
Posts18,469,379
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.