24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
jimlay Offline OP
OP Offline
A friend has brought over a Savage Model 220 L-D shotgun in 16 gauge.

"Won't fire.", is the extent of what I am told about it.

The piece is in very decent condition, and I'd like to get inside it, but I can't come across any instructions for detailed takedown. (It breaks down to the barrel, forearm, and action bits in the usual way of single shots. )

What I do not want to do is start driving out pins willy-nilly, because that is a recipe for disaster.

I have most every book on assembly/disassembly you can name, going back to Brownell's famous Encyclopedia, but nothing even close to what I'd need to service this Model 220 L-D.

I am appealing for help; I need a takedown guide, or PDF file of instructions. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is the hammerless single shot ?

If so , most likely the firing pin is broke from dry firing , those 220s should not be dry fired.

Not the most fun job to fix.

You might have to make a firing pin if you can't find one.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
jimlay Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you for your replies. I do have the exploded parts view from Numrich. What I was hoping to find somewhere is a writeup or discussion of the proper way to take down the receiver into its component parts. Yes, this is the hammerless single shot, and the receiver is a casting, machined as required for pins, etc. to hold the parts in alignment. Very tight quarters inside it. Imagine the fun, if I punched out a pin and some captive spring went *sproing!* and I was left with the job of figuring out how stuff was supposed to fit back in, without having seen it in place as I took it down. This is what I am trying to avoid. The owner hasn't got two nickels to rub together, so I'm his last best chance to get the thing going. If anyone has any experience inside an action like this one, I'd like to hear anything you'd care to share.

Thank you.

[Linked Image]
jimlay Offline OP
OP Offline
Got it. Help arrived on another forum. If you ever get one of these 220s in and need to get into the receiver, this is what helped me: "The lower 2 pins hold in the trigger/hammer assy. The next pin up holds the locking bar. The top pin holds the firing pin. If the hammer is dropping when the trigger is pulled it is quite possibly the firing pin. Easy fix. Parts are available from Numrich Gun Parts Corp. IIRC, remove the trigger assy first. Remove the firing pin and replace. Reverse the rest. Hope this helps. "

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,372 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,448
Posts18,470,996
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.