Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by natman
Let�s take a look at some of the objections:

"It�s an anti-gun conspiracy / CNBC is biased."

Yes, CNBC is biased, and their story contains slanted perspectives and misleading information. What did you expect? However, just because the presentation is biased doesn�t necessarily mean that the core issue isn�t true.

"It must be caused by people fiddling with their trigger adjustments."

No doubt some of the problems are indeed due to improper adjustments. However there are lots of rifles that have adjustable triggers that don�t have anywhere near as many complaints. Something else is going on.

So let's take a look at what it is:

Here's the Remington 700 trigger cocked:

[Linked Image]

The Remington 700 trigger is a bit unusual in that it uses an extra piece, the trigger connector, to refine the trigger pull. The tiny red area is the engagement between the connector and the sear.

When the trigger is pulled, the connector goes forward and returns to this position:

[Linked Image]
For this trigger to operate safely it is essential that when the rifle is cocked the trigger connector return 100% to the proper position, pushed there by only the light weight trigger spring.

See the red area between the trigger shoe and the trigger connector when the rifle is uncocked? That's the problem area. Any tiny speck of dirt, rust, ice or other material that gets in there will prevent the connector from engaging the sear properly. This can result in the safety keeping the sear from falling instead of the trigger connector. When the safety is released, the gun fires.

With all this in mind, let's take a look at a couple more objections:

�I�ve owned a Remington 700 for forty years and fired thousands of rounds and never had a problem.�

Good for you. This problem doesn�t happen very often, simply because it�s fairly difficult for stuff to work its way into the proper area of the trigger. But this is not a question of a few defective guns; it�s a design weakness that could affect any of the millions of guns with this trigger. If you haven�t had a problem, it�s because nothing has worked its way into your trigger.

Yet.

"This only happens on dirty or neglected guns."

This is more likely to happen on a dirty or neglected gun. However, a grass seed or a bit of pine needle could make this happen on an otherwise pristine gun. "No one would have been hurt if they followed The Rules of Gun Safety."

True enough. You should always treat your gun as though it could go off at any moment. That doesn't excuse making a rifle that actually does it.

Serious discussion welcomed. Juvenile name calling will be cheerfully ignored.

So you accept Belk's theory of debris... Yet he admitted under oath he had never seen it happen... Remember, Belk is the guru...

So, please explain the course a piece of debris as large as a grass seed would take to get betwixt connector and trigger body. There is no room at the sear and less at the bottom... otherwise it is full width of the housing.

Now, if that "weak" trigger weight spring cannot move just the connector back into place how do you expect it to move the entire trigger because that is the "fix" so many use for the "problem."

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Let�s take a look at some of the objections:

"It�s an anti-gun conspiracy / CNBC is biased."

Yes, CNBC is biased, and their story contains slanted perspectives and misleading information. What did you expect? However, just because the presentation is biased doesn�t necessarily mean that the core issue isn�t true.

"It must be caused by people fiddling with their trigger adjustments."

No doubt some of the problems are indeed due to improper adjustments. However there are lots of rifles that have adjustable triggers that don�t have anywhere near as many complaints. Something else is going on.

So let's take a look at what it is:

Here's the Remington 700 trigger cocked:

[Linked Image]

The Remington 700 trigger is a bit unusual in that it uses an extra piece, the trigger connector, to refine the trigger pull. The tiny red area is the engagement between the connector and the sear.

When the trigger is pulled, the connector goes forward and returns to this position:

[Linked Image]
For this trigger to operate safely it is essential that when the rifle is cocked the trigger connector return 100% to the proper position, pushed there by only the light weight trigger spring.

See the red area between the trigger shoe and the trigger connector when the rifle is uncocked? That's the problem area. Any tiny speck of dirt, rust, ice or other material that gets in there will prevent the connector from engaging the sear properly. This can result in the safety keeping the sear from falling instead of the trigger connector. When the safety is released, the gun fires.

With all this in mind, let's take a look at a couple more objections:

�I�ve owned a Remington 700 for forty years and fired thousands of rounds and never had a problem.�

Good for you. This problem doesn�t happen very often, simply because it�s fairly difficult for stuff to work its way into the proper area of the trigger. But this is not a question of a few defective guns; it�s a design weakness that could affect any of the millions of guns with this trigger. If you haven�t had a problem, it�s because nothing has worked its way into your trigger.

Yet.

"This only happens on dirty or neglected guns."

This is more likely to happen on a dirty or neglected gun. However, a grass seed or a bit of pine needle could make this happen on an otherwise pristine gun. "No one would have been hurt if they followed The Rules of Gun Safety."

True enough. You should always treat your gun as though it could go off at any moment. That doesn't excuse making a rifle that actually does it.

Serious discussion welcomed. Juvenile name calling will be cheerfully ignored.

So you accept Belk's theory of debris... Yet he admitted under oath he had never seen it happen... Remember, Belk is the guru...

So, please explain the course a piece of debris as large as a grass seed would take to get betwixt connector and trigger body. There is no room at the sear and less at the bottom... otherwise it is full width of the housing.

As I said: "This problem doesn�t happen very often, simply because it�s fairly difficult for stuff to work its way into the proper area of the trigger." So I agree with you that it's difficult for debris to work it's way in.

That doesn't mean that it can't happen. The area of contact between the connector and the sear is so small that anything - rust, old grease, ice, grit - can cause it to fail. There's a world of difference between difficult and impossible.

Perhaps you'd like to explain the physics of the force field that makes it impossible for anything to get in there.

Now, if that "weak" trigger weight spring cannot move just the connector back into place how do you expect it to move the entire trigger because that is the "fix" so many use for the "problem."

"Weak" is a relative term. If there are no obstacles in the way, the spring is plenty strong enough to move the connector and the trigger shoe back into place. However, it is nowhere near strong enough to force any debris out between the connector and the shoe, and as you have pointed out, there's nowhere for it to go.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The area of contact between the connector and the sear is so small that anything - rust, old grease, ice, grit - can cause it to fail.

In the literally hundreds of "Walker Triggers" that I've completely disassembled, inspected and serviced over my many years in this business, I've never found ice, rust or grit between the connector and the trigger lever. What I've found in triggers that haven't been "tampered" with, is old, gummy oil residue and preservatives surrounding the sides of the connector, holding it out of place. Routine MAINTENANCE and the use of a bore guide to prevent solvents and oils from finding their way into the trigger housing IS THE FIX for this.

But the clear majority of AD's that have made their way to this shop are the result of a lack of maintenance, along with reduced sear engagement and reduced trigger spring settings, caused by tampering with the factory settings by folks who don't know what they are doing.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
natman
You gave two examples of debris you thought could possibly make it into the space between connector and trigger. Both are significantly larger than the available openings.

A build-up of grease and such is possible, but when you use impossible things to describe the potential problem it weighs heavy on your argument...

There are a lot of other holes in your argument as well...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
natman
You gave two examples of debris you thought could possibly make it into the space between connector and trigger. Both are significantly larger than the available openings.

A build-up of grease and such is possible, but when you use impossible things to describe the potential problem it weighs heavy on your argument...

There are a lot of other holes in your argument as well...

The fact that you're forced to split hairs over the size of the debris doesn't do much for your argument. Yes, an entire grass seed, husk and all, is too big to fit. It doesn't change the problem.

If you think there are other holes in the argument, point them out.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You make the big dramatic ploy something will surely get into your trigger someday... I am thinking mine will be fairly safe due to minor routine maintenence... and mine are the automatically suspect kind because all have new trigger weight springs and have not been factory-adjusted.

Your argument about the grass seed or pine needle noted it could happen on an "otherwise Prisitine gun"... And I call bullshit on that.

You also claim if you have not had a problem it is because nothing has worked its way into the trigger... but that is not what the evidence has shown. Evidence has shown Bubba is the number one culprit, fingers in the trigger guard or on the trigger when the gun goes off is right in there... And stuff in the trigger has been real hard make happen and has never been made to happen on any trigger tested by Belk that was involved in an incident.

I also love the usual argument that the trigger housing traps debris inside... without getting to the concept it also keeps it out. No trigger is perfect and all can be tricked to fail. And I am not suggesting you used the claim about the trigger housing trapping junk.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
natman.....How many Remingtons that were untampered with have you personally witnessed discharging without a finger on the trigger?

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Instead of spending so much time trying to figure out various ways to trick a perfectly good trigger into accidentally firing, more effort could be spent on real issues, such as, why it is possible to reach the trigger of a rifle while the muzzle is accidentally pointed at your head.

SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
CCCC: The remingtons firing when slamming the butt down, or flipping off the safety is very real. This is well documented.

I have a Remington BDL in 264 mag I was at the shooting range and flipped off the safty and it fired up through the roof very lucky I had it pointed up.
Took it to the gunsmith and he looked at it and told me to clean the oil out of the trigger so I did and this has never happened again.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
natman, in your illustration of the "uncocked" trigger, you depict a gap, shown in red, between the connector and the trigger lever. That gap is only present for a split second, from the moment the sear drops, to the minute the finger is removed from the trigger lever, at which point, on a properly maintained and adjusted trigger, the trigger lever rotates forward, due to spring tension against the connector, thereby closing the gap, or red area.

SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You make the big dramatic ploy something will surely get into your trigger someday... I am thinking mine will be fairly safe due to minor routine maintenence... and mine are the automatically suspect kind because all have new trigger weight springs and have not been factory-adjusted.

Your argument about the grass seed or pine needle noted it could happen on an "otherwise Prisitine gun"... And I call bullshit on that.

You can call it a red, red rose if you want. It won't make the problem go away.

You also claim if you have not had a problem it is because nothing has worked its way into the trigger... but that is not what the evidence has shown. Evidence has shown Bubba is the number one culprit, fingers in the trigger guard or on the trigger when the gun goes off is right in there...

As I said in the original post, Bubba-ing and trigger mishandling are just as possible on other rifles as on Walker triggered Remingtons. And yet reports of unintended discharges are far more common on Remingtons than any other rifle I can think of.

Why do you think that is?

I also love the usual argument that the trigger housing traps debris inside... without getting to the concept it also keeps it out. No trigger is perfect and all can be tricked to fail. And I am not suggesting you used the claim about the trigger housing trapping junk.

But you just did, two sentences ago. ????

For the third time, I said, right from the first post, it's difficult for debris to get into the trigger. But it's still possible, and if it does, there's nowhere for it to go and only the weak trigger spring to push it out. Other rifles have much more pressure on the sear/trigger interface and room for the debris to get pushed out of the way.

It's a question of whether you examine the evidence and come to a conclusion or decide what you want the conclusion to be and bend the evidence to fit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

As I said in the original post, Bubba-ing and trigger mishandling are just as possible on other rifles as on Walker triggered Remingtons. And yet reports of unintended discharges are far more common on Remingtons than any other rifle I can think of.

Cause there are more than 5 million of them made.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 257heaven
natman.....How many Remingtons that were untampered with have you personally witnessed discharging without a finger on the trigger?

First, let me answer your question: exactly none.

Now let me ask you a question: What possible difference does it make?

Unlike some internet posters, I am perfectly capable of analyzing data outside my personal experience and coming to a rational conclusion. I've never slept with Liv Tyler, but I expect it would be fun, my lack of personal experience not withstanding.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RDFinn

Cause there are more than 5 million of them made.

A good point, but there have been millions of Model 70s made and the problem is virtually unheard of with them. The number of Remingtons with problems is far greater, even in proportion to the numbers produced.

As far as I'm concerned the Walker trigger is a poor design. Car makers come up with clunkers, airplane makers do it now and then, there's no reason gun makers are immune.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Malm
natman, in your illustration of the "uncocked" trigger, you depict a gap, shown in red, between the connector and the trigger lever. That gap is only present for a split second, from the moment the sear drops, to the minute the finger is removed from the trigger lever, at which point, on a properly maintained and adjusted trigger, the trigger lever rotates forward, due to spring tension against the connector, thereby closing the gap, or red area.

Feel free to copy the illustrations and show how this works, because what your saying doesn't make sense to me as written. There's no spring pushing the top of trigger shoe forward in the manner you describe, although there is one pushing the connector towards the back.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Poor design or not, the 700 trigger is the most monkeyed with trigger too, and I believe that is the point of all these "accidental discharges".

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Feel free to copy the illustrations and show how this works, because what your saying doesn't make sense to me as written. There's no spring pushing the top of trigger shoe forward in the manner you describe, although there is one pushing the connector towards the back.

Seriously? If you are this far away from understanding the Walker Trigger I will leave you with your delusions.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

In your illustration of the "uncocked" trigger, the top portion of the connector has come to rest against the sear. Even though the top of the connector has come to a stop, the connector is still moving via the trigger spring and will continue to move until the bottom end of the connector can no longer move, which, because the bottom of the connector sits below the trigger pin, won't occur until the top of the trigger lever pivots forward and comes to rest against the connector which will close the gap.

But if you are having a hard time following this, then take your own "Walker" trigger and test it.

Make sure your gun is empty and pointing in a safe direction. Cycle the bolt and then dry fire the rifle. With the trigger in the fired position, take your finger and push the rear of the trigger shoe forward. It should move. Now release your finger and the shoe should return under it's own steam, or, with the aid of the trigger spring. If it doesn't move, then the trigger spring is set too light.

Pull the trigger apart and study it. What I wrote should make sense.

SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 257heaven

First, let me answer your question: exactly none.

Now let me ask you a question: What possible difference does it make?

Unlike some internet posters, I am perfectly capable of analyzing data outside my personal experience and coming to a rational conclusion. I've never slept with Liv Tyler, but I expect it would be fun, my lack of personal experience not withstanding.

The difference is.........I've already said what the difference is. Re-read the thread. Financial motive is overwhelming. That and the opportunity to cop-out of taking personal responsibility for one's own actions are why civil lawsuits such as these get filed. How many responsible shooters and hunters have never had a problem? Also......I'm sure there have been accidental shootings with Remington 700's where the shooter admitted that he/she had his/her finger on the trigger when they shouldn't have. Most of these don't even get reported due to the embarrassment....unless somebody gets shot. I'd venture to say that a lot of AD's go unreported because the shooter knows that he/she monkeyed with the trigger and didn't realize he/she didn't know what he/she was doing until his/her rifle went off unexpectedly. Have you "analyzed" all of those also?

And why is it that your analysis is much better than mine simply because you reached a different conclusion?

ETA: Why do you think it is that the trigger pull on most mass-produced firearms is absolutely horrendous? It is mostly by design....wouldn't you agree? Why is that?

Last edited by 257heaven; 02/27/12.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Seriously? If you are this far away from understanding the Walker Trigger I will leave you with your delusions.

I tried to respond to a point that wasn't clear by asking a polite question with the goal of holding an adult conversation.

Too bad you couldn't do the same.

Last edited by natman; 02/28/12.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (12344mag, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 69 invisible), 3,295 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,486
Posts18,471,860
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.