Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 18 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 17 18
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
A bystander that intervenes in a purse snatching is one thing! A by stander that intervenes in a purse snatching by pulling a weapon and starts popping off rounds to apprehend that purse snatcher is out of his mind!

Phil

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
So... by your definition when I went after a guy who had just stolen a woman's purse a few weeks ago I was "looking for trouble"?

Thank God everyone doesn't think like you...
Amen.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Love it when you freaks start calling names when someone doesn't agree with your way of thinking!

Fact still remains the guy crossed the line when he left his property to go chase down someone he assumed was the person who broke into his home while he wasn't home, and witnessed nothing.

Phil
Yours is the mindset of a slave, not that of a responsible citizen of a free nation.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A bystander that intervenes in a purse snatching is one thing! A by stander that intervenes in a purse snatching by pulling a weapon and starts popping off rounds to apprehend that purse snatcher is out of his mind!

Phil
So it's really JUST about him firing his weapon? If he had tackled the guy coming out of window and beat him to a bloody pulp (or maybe just a 'chop to the solar plexus preceeded by a figure 4 leg lock laugh whilst waiting for someone to summon the gendarme) you'd be fine with that?

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Phil

The way I understand it anyone who does anything at all to avoid being robbed, beaten or murdered in your part of the world is wrong.

That said, a purse snatching is not a shooting offense and thus the brandishing of a weapon in such a case is a felony. However, the little old lady or the sweet young thing who is under attack could in some cases use a firearm for defense if they thought they were in serious danger. It is a case by case thing and one answer does not fit all cases.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Anyone who wants to believe that firing any round into the ground is a safe place to shoot should go see a machinegun range. Specifically because the tracers allow one to see PART of what actually happens. At ANY range they impact the ground,they richochet ALL over the place!! Big MG's,mid-size MG's,small MG's, they all do the same thing. Richochet like crazy and the bullets go damn near everywhere. Letting a round go into the ground intentionally within a town,village or city is at best ill advised,and ignorant. At worst injurious or deadly. It ain't what you would LIKE to think, it is downright dangerous and ignorant. No warning shots. The scene presented so far does NOT give excuse for such an act.
The advisability of a warning shot is not in discussion here. What is in discussion is its status as a crime in the present context. Context is everything. While it might be a crime to step out your front door on the Fourth of July and fire rounds from your AR-15 willy nilly, it's not a crime if the purpose is reasonably directed at stopping a felon in the act, and reasonable care (considering the circumstances) was taken not to endanger innocent third parties in the process, and this regardless of whether you agree with the advisability of warning shots under any circumstances. Crime and advisability are two separate questions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The fact that the guy caught and held a stranger crawling out of a neighbors window for police has nothing to do with it, and appearently the police felt the same way.... the fact that he grabed a gun and went looking for an unkown person and used the weapon in a unsafe way does!

But to each his own.

Phil

Maybe my reading comprehension sucks, but I didn't take that from the article.

In my mind, the dude just got home, saw his house in shambles as a result of a violent robbery. At that point, he is old, scared, and alone. So, he justly reaches for his gun. At that point he starts investigating his property to make sure he was safe and to see what damage may have been done outside. I don't think he went looking for trouble, but quite the opposite....

I do have my "Monday morning quaterback" issues with how he played out the whole thing, but I wasn't there, I don't know his mind, and I can't speak to his behavior as a result.

Everyone likes to wax philosophic about what they, in their superior mind, would do in a given situation. The fact is, nobody does.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting how the incident has been transposed from a property crime to an extremely PERSONAL assault. Coming to the aid of a PERSON in danger is one thing. Even then the morally acceptable level of force is dependant on the nature of the assault. Property crimes by themselves do not have the standing to allow the use of what could be deadly force. You ARE fully accountable for where any projectile goes. You fire five to stop a kidnapper(quite legally and morally acceptable). Four hit him. Number 5 scores a 10 ring on Grandma a block away. Manslaughter. Recklessly causes etc,etc,etc, No friggin' warning shots!

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Interesting how the incident has been transposed from a property crime to an extremely PERSONAL assault. Coming to the aid of a PERSON in danger is one thing. Even then the morally acceptable level of force is dependant on the nature of the assault. Property crimes by themselves do not have the standing to allow the use of what could be deadly force. You ARE fully accountable for where any projectile goes. You fire five to stop a kidnapper(quite legally and morally acceptable). Four hit him. Number 5 scores a 10 ring on Grandma a block away. Manslaughter. Recklessly causes etc,etc,etc, No friggin' warning shots!

Seems like I remember a story years ago about a CCW holder in Texas that popped a would be murderer with a 357 Mag. One of his shots went wild and killed an innocent bystander-the guy went to prison for that, IIRC.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scott F

The way I understand it anyone who does anything at all to avoid being robbed, beaten or murdered in your part of the world is wrong.

That said, a purse snatching is not a shooting offense and thus the brandishing of a weapon in such a case is a felony. However, the little old lady or the sweet young thing who is under attack could in some cases use a firearm for defense if they thought they were in serious danger. It is a case by case thing and one answer does not fit all cases.

Exactly!

Although, I have to admit that I don't like that purse snatching isn't a shooting offense. In my mind, it's protection of personal property. Though, personally, I'd let the guy go, because I'd hate to live with that shoot on my mind.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whenever away, my neighbors and I always ask and agree to keep an eye on each others place. That given, we are not just blindly running down some unknown individual seen exiting a window, but following through on an agreement with the neighbor. I'd be tickled pink to have that gentleman across the street.

On the reckless firing. Yes, bullets can bounce (especially when fired across near level plains) and even come back in the opposite direction in some extremely rare instances. I'd lay odds though that a slug fired into soil, at anything greater than a 45 degree angle, is going to stick right there. If it did indeed stay put, endangerment should absolutely not be a issue. Any of us with just a little bit of thought, could probably stand in a crowd and figure out some way to safely discharge a firearm. Do we arrest our officers when they engage in an urban environment? The laws should read the same for everyone.

If anyone is in that vicinity, could you please keep us up on the happenings in this instance. I'd gladly donate to a defense fund if it's needed.

A few comments here lead me to believe that some would simply watch the rape of a 12 year old go down in the middle of the street and not step in. What is the legal definition of "looking for trouble" versus "coming to someones assistance?"

Sounds like maybe the perp in the original post was apprehended under illegal circumstances, perhaps we should apologize and turn him loose. Some stupid enforcers there.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/22/12.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by .280Rem
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
Geeze do any of you bother to read. He wasn't being threatend, no one was in harms way, NO ONE WAS BEING RAPED, and it wasn't his property.

Phil
Greyghost,
I'm curious. Your neighbor is away from home and you see a small fire outside his home but right next to it. Do you go and put it out or call the fire department?
Now keep in mind.... You are not being threatend, no one was in harms way, NO ONE WAS BEING RAPED, and it isn't your property.

Your "fire scenario" is different from the one that is the basis of this thread.

Your legal duties, and liabilities change drastically when you go from protecting you and yours with force or a weapon, to injecting yourself in something that doesn't involve you or yours.
I think you missed that part where the shooter's house had been burglarized. When you discover your house has been burglarized and you see a burglar coming out of your neighbor's window, it's a fairly safe assumption that it's the same guy...so it does involve you.

In Texas you can shoot in defense of property.

As far as the warning shot goes, it doesn't negate NH law on the subject but, by it's very definition it went in a safe direction because it harmed nobody and nothing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1minute
Whenever away, my neighbors and I always ask and agree to keep an eye on each others place. That given, we are not just blindly running down some unknown individual seen exiting a window, but following through on an agreement with the neighbor. I'd be tickled pink to have that gentleman across the street.

On the reckless firing. Yes, bullets can bounce (especially when fired across near level plains) and even come back in the opposite direction in some extremely rare instances. I'd lay odds though that a slug fired into soil, at anything greater than a 45 degree angle, is going to stick right there. If it did indeed stay put, endangerment should absolutely not be a issue. Any of us with just a little bit of thought, could probably stand in a crowd and figure out some way to safely discharge a firearm. Do we arrest our officers when they engage in an urban environment? The laws should read the same for everyone.

If anyone is in that vicinity, could you please keep us up on the happenings in this instance. I'd gladly donate to a defense fund if it's needed.
Exactly.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
The fact that the guy caught and held a stranger crawling out of a neighbors window for police has nothing to do with it, and appearently the police felt the same way.... the fact that he grabed a gun and went looking for an unkown person and used the weapon in a unsafe way does!

But to each his own.

Phil

Maybe my reading comprehension sucks, but I didn't take that from the article.

In my mind, the dude just got home, saw his house in shambles as a result of a violent robbery. At that point, he is old, scared, and alone. So, he justly reaches for his gun. At that point he starts investigating his property to make sure he was safe and to see what damage may have been done outside. I don't think he went looking for trouble, but quite the opposite....

I do have my "Monday morning quaterback" issues with how he played out the whole thing, but I wasn't there, I don't know his mind, and I can't speak to his behavior as a result.

Everyone likes to wax philosophic about what they, in their superior mind, would do in a given situation. The fact is, nobody does.
Well said. Agreed.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 340boy

Seems like I remember a story years ago about a CCW holder in Texas that popped a would be murderer with a 357 Mag. One of his shots went wild and killed an innocent bystander-the guy went to prison for that, IIRC.
Most likely an urban legend. According to the laws of most, if not all, states, so long as the shooting was justified, any third parties injured or killed are considered the fault of the criminal, not the justified shooter, regardless of who fired the bullet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The fact that the guy caught and held a stranger crawling out of a neighbors window for police has nothing to do with it, and appearently the police felt the same way....

And that, unfortunately, is where we, as country, & the "laws" have evolved to.

Sad state of affairs to see such a devaluation of our ethics & views.............pure political correctness at its worst.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Most likely an urban legend. According to the laws of most, if not all, states, so long as the shooting was justified, any third parties injured or killed are considered the fault of the criminal, not the justified shooter, regardless of who fired the bullet.

Legend?
Could be, Hawk. As to the rest, I don't know, to be honest.
The point I was trying to make is that a CCW holder or whoever ought to be darn careful about where they put those bullets!

Last edited by 340boy; 02/22/12.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute

In this state the LE agencies that i've seen their SOP's, do not even allow warning shots to be fired, it's pretty standard not to. If you check those in OR. they probably don't either.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Legend?
Could be, Hawk. As to the rest, I don't know, to be honest.
The point I was trying to make is that a CCW holder or whoever ought to be darn careful about where they put those bullets.
That's needless to say, but a justified shooter is held innocent regarding injuries to third parties. I believe that's the law in every state. Some states even charge the criminal who was the target of the shooting with murder if third parties are killed by the bullets fired from the justified shooter's weapon.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Where in the world a violent robery came from is beyond me....

Done with thread, and will leave it at this, I keep a loaded 44 mag handy when home, some one comes onto my property and breaks into my home. There won't be any talking, won't be any questions or trying to persuade the guy to leave... first step he takes towards me, my wife or one of my dogs the guy gets one between the eye's and their won't be any regrets...

But there is no property, not mine or not yours that is worth anyones life... you all can talk all you like!

But once the guy decides to leave and is no longer a threat to mine, my family's, or anyones life, it's done, I'm not going to chase down a crook gun in hand like some madman.

Twist the facts any way you like...

We're not in the day's of vigilantism and the hangman's noose...
You want to play cowboy and indians, have at it. Just be prepared to pay the consequences!

Phil

Page 12 of 18 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,560 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,564
Posts18,473,225
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.