Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Y
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Y
Ive always just used my hunting shotties for sporting clays but just bought a Browning Silver Sporting Shotgun for my dedicated clays gun and want to buy a nice set if aftermarket chokes. Im leaning towards the Browning Midas chokes right now but was hoping theres some seasoned clay shooters out there with a recomendation or two. It has the Invector+ choke system but I think it comes with the standard flush chokes which aren't the best.

Thanks much

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Don't overthink this one.

Your factory chokes are probably just fine for just about everything you want to do. The Midas chokes are certainly nice as well. I use them in mine, very happily.

As far as aftermarket tubes, there are a bunch of choices, all with their dedicated followers. And as above, most all of them will do most anything you need.

Extended tubes are nice, but I'll admit that I usually screw in a Mod and I/C, and only take them out occassionally to clean and relubricate the threads. Rarely do I find myself changing tubes, especially mid-course. Of course I'll swap them if I decide to shoot a round of skeet, or if a course is set "long" for some reason, but not often.

I'm sure others will contradict me, but just look for a deal on a set that you like, pattern a few chokes, settle on a few good ones, and roll with it. It's not often that a change in tubes/constriction will make the difference in how many birds you hit that afternoon, especially for an average gunner.

There are a few hardcore shotgunners here that will probably chime in with more specifics.

Y
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Y
I tend to agree but last time I was out there was two stations that had very long presentations. I had a double with imprved cyl/cyl and just couldn't break them. I hit 5 birds on each station and really should have hit 9-10. The guys behind me all went and rechoked and broke them easily. This put my score to an 85 and it would have been low 90's for. sure. I know the stock chokes are ok but I also know aftermarket chokes are better.

Last edited by Yotechaser; 02/25/12.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Like I said, there are the occasional exceptions (I mentioned the long shots).

If you really want aftermarket tubes, it's hard to go wrong with Brileys. I use them in my Red Label and SKB (mainly cause I found a fair deal on them before anything else for the RRL and they came with the used SKB). No issues with them.

Y
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Y
Thanks. I hear that Briley makes the Midas tubes for Browning. Do you know if thats accurate?

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
How long was very long? On edge or showing face?

It did seem your chokes worked on 5 on each station.

And after-market may not be any better.

Last edited by battue; 02/25/12.

laissez les bons temps rouler
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Yotechaser
Thanks. I hear that Briley makes the Midas tubes for Browning. Do you know if thats accurate?

No idea... confused

Y
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Y
Originally Posted by battue
How long, was very long? On edge or showing face?

It did seem your chokes worked on 5 on each station.

And after-market may not be any better.

Ive never found an in the box shotty that didnt perform better with better chokes. Yeah I hit 5 but its obvious I was at the fringe and there were holes in the pattern When you blow off a chunk of the bird its a hit but the next would be a miss.
all I want is sone ideas of chokes to consider. I didn't come here to justify why Id like to buy some quality Sporting Clays chokes. Wil it improve my scores? I don't know but it sure can't hurt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
im a big fan of the brileys but i bought my youngest son a pure gold for his weatherby sa-08 and it has made a world of difference for him.each gun/choke/load combo will be different gun to gun but i asked questions,borrowed chokes when ever possible and tried different loads till i found a good match.

Originally Posted by deflave
Get your dick out of that rooster and go to church.

Travis
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been running a pair of Comp-N-Chokes in my Select Energy sporting gun........... a 25 under a 35 on top. Been VERY pleased with them. I have birds disappearing now instead of breaking.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Yotechaser
Ive never found an in the box shotty that didnt perform better with better chokes.

It feels like we're running in circles here.

If you have experience with other shotguns and aftermarket tubes, you have an idea of what you used and how you liked them.

It's hard to tell you "what's best", as everybody is going to have different experiences and preferences. Chevy/Ford. Remington/Winchester.

If you ask six competitive shooters, you'll likely get four or five different suggestions, and that's from guys who can tell the difference.

The Midas tubes are as good a place as any to begin your search, so I'd probably get a set and start checking out their performance.

I didn't come here to justify why Id like to buy some quality Sporting Clays chokes.

You don't have to justify anything; everybody here has done crazier stuff than wanting a new set of chokes. But your question is almost impossible to answer with one definitive answer.

You're going to have to try a few and see just how many birds you pick up.

If you're anywhere local to me (western PA), you're welcome to borrow any that I have to try, before you make your decision and lay down your money.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Get what you want, however there is more to it than choke.

Again how far and edge on or face/bottom showing because it makes a difference in breaks. Have watched a top flight long bird shooter being asked about what chokes he was using. His reply was it makes little difference if you center your target. To prove his point he removed the chokes and shot threads at two targets that where somewhere in the 60yard +/- range. If I remember correctly he broke 4 of 6.

Chunks do not necessarily mean you were on the fringe. You also may have not centered the target and were just using the front or back of the pattern.

Here you will get multiple answers and still be left with not knowing for sure.
Look at what the good shooters in your area are using is probably a better path to travel.Then again you had your squad mates who didn't have any problem breaking those particular targets. What were they using? wink

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by battue
To prove his point he removed the chokes and shot threads at two targets that where somewhere in the 60yard +/- range. If I remember correctly he broke 4 of 6.

Aaahhh yes, that was a good afternoon.

But if I remember correctly, I think that I actually broke five, not four. whistle cool

If I'm hitting consistently at 60 yards, the birds better be propped up on a dirt bank, and I better be shooting a scope and slugs! laugh

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I knew it was you and yes it was five.

However, knowing you don't like to brag I toned it down. I can tell you I was impressed. grin Great shooting BTW. smile

I'd need something shooting flatter and softer than a slug gun to get it done, being I'm a wimp when it comes to recoil.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My current clays gun is custom choked by Ken Eyster, and it grinds up clays very well. My previous clays gun had Comp-N-Chokes, and it was an obvious upgrade from the Brileys that I had before them(same gun). I shoot with a guy that shoots Ballistics, they are nice as well.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
D
I prefer Trulock, great warranty and always available if you need help. They also have a satisfaction guarantee, no questions asked. If you get a choke and it isn't doing what you want, call them up and they will help you get the right choke.

Manventure Outpost has most black extended Trulock chokes for $28 + shipping

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My factory chokes smash clays when I do my end of the job, putting the barrel where it needs to be.

Most people buy after-market chokes to try to bridge the gap of their lack of shooting skills. I say spend the money on ammo for practice and lessons. Better return on investment.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
My factory chokes smash clays when I do my end of the job, putting the barrel where it needs to be.

Most people buy after-market chokes to try to bridge the gap of their lack of shooting skills. I say spend the money on ammo for practice and lessons. Better return on investment.

Hallelujah, Hallelujah!!!!

And then get good enough to get paid to use a certain brand of choke....

....and then whore yourself out and change when someone else is willing to pay you even more!!!! wink

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I would sell myself out to be payed to shoot a CSMC Model 21 with 32" barrels choked LM/IM stocked to fit me.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Oh right never mind we are talking magical chokes!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,996 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,195
Posts18,503,558
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.