Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
What torque setting do you use for ring screws? Action screws?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
HR IC

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
it's a proprietary setting NASA patented called torqued down as tight as they'll go with an Allen key wink I just bolt em down and call it good.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thought I was the only one who did that..... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Dood heck no, I ain't into all the torque settings and stuff... i'm too impaciente for that. Heck, I can hardly let my paint dry before I'm bolting it back together.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PeaEye
Leave it be unless you're prepared to glass bed the action. There's a reason they put those there, it makes the bedding less critical.

Originally Posted by TannerGun
PE, thanks for that bit of info... didn't know that.

The plus side for the bumps is they can shrink group size, but often only marginally so. In many cases it would be difficult to prove one way or the other.

The downside is that the stock-to-barrel contact can cause groups to wander with changes in the stock due to temperature changes, humidity (wood), etc. Zeroing my first centerfire, a Ruger M77 in 7mm RM, proved to be problematic � the longer I shot the more the wood stock heated up and the more the group moved up and to the left. After free-floating the barrel the problem disappeared. That rifle shot a 0.262� 3-shot group some 20 years later. For me it is more important that a rifle shoot to the same POI consistently than it have a marginally smaller group size.

Above I posted a target shot with a free-floated Remington M700 in .308 Win. Here is one from my free-floated Ruger M77 in .257 Roberts:
[Linked Image]

A 10-shot target shot in gusty 40+ mph crosswinds with my free-floated Ruger M77 7mm RM:
[Linked Image]

Here�s a 2-shot scope check target from a free-floated Ruger M77 in .30-06:
[Linked Image]

Here�s a 2-shot scope-check target from a free-floated �boat paddle� Ruger MKII in .338WM:
[Linked Image]

Only one of my rifles is bedded, a custom 6.5-06AI, although it is also free-floated. All the others are free-floated without bedding and I don�t worry about POI changes due to stock-to-barrel contact when moving from the last range session in warm, dry weather to taking a shot in cold, wet weather.

If it were me, I�d dump the bump. If accuracy isn�t what I wanted after doing so I would bed the action, something I�ve never found to be necessary . YMMV.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
it's a proprietary setting NASA patented called torqued down as tight as they'll go with an Allen key wink I just bolt em down and call it good.

Better let Mule Deer know. He is gonna get in trouble with NASA for his term of "farmer tight"...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Generally:
Action screw on a wood stock: 35-40 inch/pounds
Synthetic (Quality) 45 no pillars / 65 pillars.
Tupperware stocks: 35 inch/pounds
Scope base screws and ring screws 10-15 inch/pounds (about 3 finger hold on a screw driver.
E-Mail any manufacture and they can give you specifics.
I bought a Ruger Hawkeye that the Gorilla at their plant assembled.
Rear trigger guard screw was finger tight.
The front trigger guard screw and action screw were so tight I had to use the tap and twist method to loosen.
Check even the new guns....

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
If it ain't broke...

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My buddy had a 700 ADL in 7 Rem Mag that he removed the pressure point it ended up shifting point of aim a little higher, it didn't seem to help accuracy. If you are getting decent groups don't mess with success?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tinker, tinker, tinker....it's just in me....

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
IC B3

T
TJO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

Question for you guys that have remmoved forend "bumps" from M700 thermoplastic "tupperware" stocks. Years ago - mid late 90's I did that on a M700 223 Stainless Syn with hinged floorplate - not ADL. Th forend flexed so much I couldn't eliminate the pressure point. I ended up shimming the front of the action with a pc of plastic like credit card or bottle mat'l and it floated. I didn't notice too much improvement, but some. I never did it, but I should go ahead and bed the action.

How do yout get the bedding epoxy to stick to the "tupperware"???

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
That bedding compound ( Acraglas Gel) will stick to ALMOST anything.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I probably don't need to, but I've just been considering taking out the 2 little speed bumps right on the forearm tip of my cheapo synthetic ADL. It shoots a little over 1/2 inch with the 105s, but I guess I'm a fool that is always chasing the last little bit of accuracy. Have you guys done this to guns that shoot well, and seen an improvement? Or should I just leave it be?

Couldn't help but to go back to your original post.I want to bring up a couple of points,not criticism just points. 1. You are assuming that you poessess the skill to shoot smaller groups than what 99% of everyone else would be happy with.Have you thought of having one or several of your shooting friends who are very skilled try the gun and see if they come up with smaller groups ALL else being the same?The point being it sounds like you think you can run them all in the same hole and if it won't do it something is wrong with the gun? But no question of your own ability? Are you being objective? 2.Have you tried adj your seating depth,changed primers, checked the runnout and sorted the ammo into groups for the runnout it has?. 3 Lot of things to try first before you get happy with a Dremel tool and you have been offered a replacement stock for the cost of shipping to experiment on.
Like I said up front no criticism intended even though it may sound like that, but for a stock M700 and shooting 1/2" I don't know how much more you can realistically expect. All due respect Magnum Man

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
All great points, no criticism taken. I've played with various seating depths and 5 different powders, so I've well explored what it likes. My assuming I can shoot smaller is surely that, an assumption. But, I have shot much smaller groups with different rifles. I mentioned before that I'm likely just knit picking and should quit dinking around with it, and keep it bolted together. Thanks for your input.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Tanner, was that with the burris FFII scope you recently took off of it or with a new scope?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
That bedding compound ( Acraglas Gel) will stick to ALMOST anything.....

Yeah, tell me about it. Sounds like my first bedding job.... eek and that's what I was using. sick

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll answer this q as soon as I can get back to the range, My CDL was shooting ok with the bumps,Too windy today.

I removed them and went for full free-float, I'm curious myself if there will be any change.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That's with a 3.5-10x40 with Target Turrets.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks tanner..

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Tanner no problem, those thoughts were sitting there, no one else addressed them so I brought them up. Every once in awhile I get a buddy of mine or 2 to shoot something I have when I am wondering me? or the gun? best of luck magnum man

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 63 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,544
Posts18,491,601
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.