Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Kind of a quick survey here .....

For those who are fond of catching pan-size high mountain brookies, rainbows or cutthroats with your favorite popular dry fly patterns .....

What are your two most favorite dry fly patterns!!??

Also on what size of a hook?

THANK YOU!
cool

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Small hoppers on a size 8 hook, Sparkle Dun on a size 16 and Parachute Adams size 16-18...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Royal Coachman, but usually if fish wet flies in the mt. streams...

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
At the right time a gray-hackle yellow can be awesome on brookies. At least that's true where I fish anyway.

Steve

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Parachute Adams, but mostly I try to wear out gold ribbed hare's ears.

1Minute
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Royal Wulff or Yellow Stimulator

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
#12 or 14 Stimulator or Adams Wulff same sizes.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Grey Hackle Yellow and Adams.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
16 red or yellow humpy, I like to tie them with a sparkle wing tied trude style.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks fellas! Many good answers. didn't know there were so many Adams versions. smirk wink

Now ..... If I can change my question a little

What 3 choices besides the Hare's Ear nymph would you choose if putting a suvival kit together

with a minimalist fishing kit**? (and brookies are not the main species of trout). cool

** If you're willing to answer this too, what is your #1 choice of a spinner for all mountain trout, not just brookies (altho brookies ARE my favorite). cheers!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Elk Hair Caddis, Parachute Adams, Woolly Bugger, nothing more, nothing less...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I would add a Wooly Bugger to my previous suggestions. As to a spinner: I would select a fly called the Pistol Pete. It can be tied as a Wooly Worm or Wooly Bugger with a propeller at the nose that acts as a spinner. Best of both worlds!

Pistol Pete colour choices would be all yellow with a gold spinner,Yellow and red with silver spinner, all black with silver spinner, olive/brown with gold spinner....you get the idea.
Very old and effective pattern developed in the West

Last edited by troutfly; 02/27/12. Reason: Dog had to go for a leak
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks guys! I had thought of the Elk Hair caddis.

How is a Parachute Adams different from a reg Adams? The wing material?

I have seen the Adams w/ a yellow egg sack, but doubt that has anything to do with my question.

I don't fly fish yet, so would be relying on spin fishing skills w/ or w/o a clear bobber.

And are the single Renegade or Mosquito patterns any good?

Cheers! cool

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Starting to sound like the Magnificent 7 with a couple of small addtions.

Steve

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Steven_CO
Starting to sound like the Magnificent 7 .....

magnificent 7? cool! was unaware till now. cool

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
#14 Adams Trude & #16 Red or Yellow Humpy

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Stimi Chew Toy size 10-14 assorted colors

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by sierrabravo45

[Linked Image]

That is one wicked lookin Stimulator!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by StubbleDuck
Thanks fellas! Many good answers. didn't know there were so many Adams versions. smirk wink

Now ..... If I can change my question a little

What 3 choices besides the Hare's Ear nymph would you choose if putting a suvival kit together

with a minimalist fishing kit**? (and brookies are not the main species of trout). cool

** If you're willing to answer this too, what is your #1 choice of a spinner for all mountain trout, not just brookies (altho brookies ARE my favorite). cheers!

If you have the Hare's Ear, I would add a Beadhead Pheasant Tail, Beadhead Prince Nymph, and a Wolly Bugger.

I have always liked using a small silver Mepps or a Panther Martin.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
By the way, I have been in many areas that call the Beadhead Prince nymph, "bait". It works really well.

ddj

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

1/16th ounce gold blade, black body Panther Martin. I run 'em behind a #14 snap swivel and 4lb mono on an open-faced reel. If you have to go with a closed face reel you may need to go once size heavier to get 'em to cast.

I have no problem with fishing spinners at the right time and place.

I like having a rod in the toolbox on my truck at all times 'cause y' never know when I might go somewhere near water without having time to go home and grab my tackle. I don't mind leaving a sub $20 spinning rod, $30 reel, and about $30 worth of lures in the truck. That plain ain't happening with $1000 worth of Sage fly rod and reel.

Tom

Edit to say: this isn't the Rockies, but I've proven Panther Martins work there, too. smile

Last edited by T_O_M; 02/29/12.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by T_O_M

1/16th ounce gold blade, black body Panther Martin. I run 'em behind a #14 snap swivel and 4lb mono on an open-faced reel. If you have to go with a closed face reel you may need to go once size heavier to get 'em to cast.

I have no problem with fishing spinners at the right time and place.

I like having a rod in the toolbox on my truck at all times 'cause y' never know when I might go somewhere near water without having time to go home and grab my tackle. I don't mind leaving a sub $20 spinning rod, $30 reel, and about $30 worth of lures in the truck. That plain ain't happening with $1000 worth of Sage fly rod and reel. Tom

Edit to say: this isn't the Rockies, but I've proven Panther Martins work there, too. smile

Excellent post! Oregon vs the Rockies ..... The ID, MT or WY Rockies is where I'd be if I got into trouble and needed my survival provision and limited kills, but I've found elevation and water temp are often the biggest factors where trount will be found. Plus my favorite method of taking browns and rainbows most often, is spin casting with 4# mono with 1/2 nightcrawler, or brass[gold Vibrax 1's or 2s'] spinners that imitate sculpin. I was hoping to find a few "lures" actually smaller than they should be - I'm discovering!! the 1/16thoz Panther Martins are a good suggestion, as are the inputs from the fly fishermen who have posted.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR POSTS AND CONTRIBUTIONS!

Everyone of you has shared useful and [very constructive] data and "tips" for success!

BTW, the mini-Diawa travel rods/kits (only one ex) sound like a really handy solution to finding a "reasonably nice" but still frugal and dependable outfit to leave in one's vehicle for those unexpected fishing holes that pop up. cool

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
ADDED: Sounds like having 2 nymphs (hare's ear and peacok bead) and 4 dries, plus 2 or 3 spinners are must haves along with a few hooks and split shot.

THANKS AGAIN Guys! grin

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
So far as dry flies ... I don't usually try to match the hatch or anything like that. Maybe I'd catch more fish if I did, but I try to keep it simple. I generally fish small (#12 to #16) "generic floaty things" ... gray to off-white. I can see 'em on the water. When I don't see 'em on the water, it's time to set the hook. smile

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My favorite "spinner" kind of a cross between a fly and a spinner: the Pistol Pete, favorite color: yellow.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Size 16 Adams and Elk Hair Caddis. At the end of the day those two patterns will account for a lot of fish, when the high country is fishable. Late July Aug and Sept.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

C
C
Is there any dry fly that will not catch high mountain river trout?
I've used a "younger brothers hair caddis" tied to a hook, it worked!!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Royal anything 14-18, elk hair cadis 16-20, parachute Adams 16-20, don't forget an emerger like the Brooks sprout 16-20 (worked for me yesterday). Nymphs - bead head flashback pheasant tail 16-22, bead head gold ribbed hare's ear 16-18, prince nymph 14-16. You can use the larger royals as an indicator fly for your pheasant tail, etc.

Bob

Last edited by Bobcape; 03/11/12. Reason: Spelling

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Royal Wulff and a Elk hair caddis for me are my top two. Followed by a hopper and a humpy and a goddard.
Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 03/18/12.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ell hair caddis, stimulator, wooly bugger Will do 90% of my fishing.

Not very orthodox but a lot of guys like the San juan worm. Not my thing but they work

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Adams Irresistible is my top high-mountain dry fly, going back to the early 80's. Sizes #14 and #16. I've caught untold numbers of cutts, brookies, and rainbows on that fly. There's at least 3 or 4 of them in every one of my fly boxes.

Parachute Adams in the same sizes is a decent substitute, but it won't float as well as the Irresistible in fast water after you catch a fish or two.

Royal Wulff in #16 and #18 would be my second choice.

A bead-head Prince Nymph in size # 16 or #18 (tied with rainbow Krystal Flash, it's called a "Disco Bug" in WI) or a bead-head Hare's Ear in the same sizes is a good choice on a dropper below the Irresistible on high mountain lakes when the trout are being fussy.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm a simple guy, too. Here in Utah, one could probably catch fish any time and anywhere with either a #14 Adams or a #14 Caddis on top or a hare's ear or beaded pheasant tail down deep. In lakes, add a black or olive leech pattern. Those six flies will keep you fed if need be - or just having fun.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sierrabravo45

[Linked Image]

I like this in #16....probably my #1 mountain stream fly.

If they aren't looking all the way up, I run the Stimmy Chew Toy along with a Pheasant Tail Soft Hackle (also #16) dropped off the bend.

TO suggest mayflies, I use the Blue Dun Parachute, which I carry in #14 and #16 after I accidentally discovered it is more effective than the Adams Parachute for just about all species of trout.

I find these three are all I need. However, I do tend to carry the Stimulator in yellow early in the season and switch to orange as the summer wanes.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (1eyedmule, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 73 invisible), 16,382 guests, and 1,013 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,184
Posts18,543,283
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.