Leica Sport Optics.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#6236687 - 02/29/12 02:34 PM Trekking Poles
ironbender Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: In the shadow of the Kenai Mtn...
Anyone have/use Cascade Mountain Tech carbon fiber trekking poles?

Costco had them pretty cheap and wondering if they are durable at all?

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.

The Best 7 Minutes On Gun Control

BP 468
CLICK HERE for GREAT DEALS on VORTEX OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
#6236718 - 02/29/12 02:43 PM Re: Trekking Poles [Re: ironbender]
ironbender Offline
Campfire Oracle

#6236730 - 02/29/12 02:46 PM Re: Trekking Poles [Re: ironbender]
redfoxx Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: TEXAS
All depends on how much use/abuse you give them. I went through several off brand and lower cost pairs before I went exclusively to Leiki's year's ago. I now have 3 (maybe 4) pairs? I am particularly fond of an older pair of Leiki carbon Macula's that I've had for several years. light strong and they stay put with little twist force been the sections to set the length. I've used them for tent/tarp poles, meat poles, laid them across a small stream to cool meat, forging rivers, fishing poles, lean-to's, splint for a broken arm, etc. They are not cheap and the good ones average over $120/pair. I maintain them every year by taking them apart and cleaning them really good since they have moving friction fir parts that don't like dirt or oxidation very much. Go easy on the lower cost ones and they should do ok for you.

#6239746 - 03/01/12 09:15 AM Re: Trekking Poles [Re: redfoxx]
pka45 Offline

Loc: Auburn, AL
I think I figured out the best of both worlds with some cheap Walmart flick-lock poles I modified. I have details on my blog, but for about $35 and some time, you can replace the heavy rubber handles and end up with a lightweight, durable set of poles that have the flick-locking mechanism - much better IMO than the twist lock.

#6240002 - 03/01/12 10:24 AM Re: Trekking Poles [Re: pka45]
redfoxx Offline
Campfire Regular

In my experience, I've found the click locks to be faster and more convenient in adjusting the length of the poles and locking the sections in position, with the only down side being the extra bulk of the locking mechanism that sticks out proud of the poles tends to hang up on brush and tall grass. Kind of like if you don't take off the snow baskets off. I found that I ended up fighting the poles too much and went back to the twist lock. They also tend to get banged into things and crack at the most inopportune times. If you don't use the poles in heavy brush or high grass I would agree the click locks are better, but I do more times than not so the twist locks work better for my needs. To each his own...

#6240216 - 03/01/12 11:23 AM Re: Trekking Poles [Re: redfoxx]
T_O_M Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: State of Jefferson
I see some of the yuppie hikers dressed in the latest hiking fashion carrying them but I don't understand the purpose, it seems to just be herd mentality.

What are they for? Is there something I've missed in 35 years of backpacking without them?

Here be dragons ...

#6240309 - 03/01/12 11:52 AM Re: Trekking Poles [Re: T_O_M]
SnowyMountaineer Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Western WY
Originally Posted By: T_O_M
I see some of the yuppie hikers dressed in the latest hiking fashion carrying them but I don't understand the purpose, it seems to just be herd mentality.

What are they for? Is there something I've missed in 35 years of backpacking without them?

I swore I wouldn't use them and they are rarely essential, but fooling around off trail with a backpack camp + boned out mulie I'm glad to have them. Improved balance is the primary benefit for me. I also carried them on a 33 hour 56 mile blitz in the Bob Marshall and they came in handy to take some pressure of of the feet near the end. One is good enough for some trips, and sometimes I leave them behind. My GG Lightrek 3's weigh 3.0 oz. per pole, so taking one along is a small weight penalty.

#6240346 - 03/01/12 12:00 PM Re: Trekking Poles [Re: T_O_M]
Take_a_knee Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted By: T_O_M

Apparantly some of the terrain I've traversed is what you've missed.

Got a little test for ya:

Get yourself a 20in plyo box. Load 50# in your pack. Do ten step ups every minute (five each leg) using a pair of trekking poles for 15min.

Try it two days later without the poles and get back with us.

It's like the difference between doing a strict overhead press and a push press or a push jerk.

#6240387 - 03/01/12 12:09 PM Re: Trekking Poles [Re: Take_a_knee]
redfoxx Offline
Campfire Regular

If you've not used them then you're missing out on what I consider an essential part of my kit. When you have 100 lbs plus of boned out meat in your pack and have miles of up and down to cover, several times, in rocky/uneven terrain, they come in real handy and help save the knees and back. They have tons of other nifty uses as well if you get creative (tarp poles, stream crossings, etc). They are far worth the 2 extra pounds of weight in your hands considering they allow you to shift some of your total weigh to your upper body. I use them for the pack in and out when my pack is loaded down heavy with a bivy/spike camp, or when I'm packing out boned meat. I collapse them and strap them to my pack when I'm light or when I'm actively hunting. They are, in my opinion, a great tool. Check it out, you may find out what you've been missing!

#6240393 - 03/01/12 12:10 PM Re: Trekking Poles [Re: T_O_M]
ironbender Offline
Campfire Oracle

Balance on rough terrain and stream crossing.

Actually for a goat hunt I'd rather have an old style ice axe with a long shaft. Anyone have one to sell?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
719 registered (17Hunter, 1B, 1Deernut, 04Hunter, 1234, 72 invisible), 1252 Guests and 399 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
49451 Members
71 Forums
611619 Topics
8743861 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 04:36 PM

Copyright © 2000-2013 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.