Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Back in the market for a 1911 of some sort. Have had a couple Kimbers, and while I know they had some feeding and jamming problems early on, I never had an ounce of trouble out of either I previously owned. I sold them or traded them off in all my loonyism. Would like something small, easily carrying size in a .45. Haven't kept up with the times on the 1911's, so talk away.

Have several revolvers in different shapes and makes, but its not complete without a good 1911.

BP-B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by joshf303
Back in the market for a 1911 of some sort. Have had a couple Kimbers, and while I know they had some feeding and jamming problems early on, I never had an ounce of trouble out of either I previously owned. I sold them or traded them off in all my loonyism. Would like something small, easily carrying size in a .45. Haven't kept up with the times on the 1911's, so talk away.

Have several revolvers in different shapes and makes, but its not complete without a good 1911.
I never like it when I read that someone is looking for a 1911 and wants something small. You're asking for trouble right off the bat if you buy a chopped down 1911. The smallest I would ever recommend would be a Commander, i.e., 4.25" barrel. The shorter you go, the more critical timing becomes for reliability, i.e., the smaller the velocity window for the slide operation, which means the springs have to be just the right weight for everything to work just right to produce reliable function.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by joshf303

I never like it when I read that someone is looking for a 1911 and wants something small. You're asking for trouble right off the bat if you buy a chopped down 1911. The smallest I would ever recommend would be a Commander, i.e., 4.25" barrel. The shorter you go, the more critical timing becomes for reliability, i.e., the smaller the velocity window for the slide operation, which means the springs have to be just the right weight for everything to work just right to produce reliable function.

Commander slide with an alloy Officer's frame is the CCW 1911 ticket. If you think you need something smaller, you don't want a 1911,IMO. I would only buy a S&W if I were buying an alloy frame.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kimber Pro Carry ll. Alloy frame 4 inch 45ACP with full size grip frame. I wish I still had mine.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Colt XSE Lightweight Commander in 45 ACP. I'll never sell mine.

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Yeah...Im not thinking anything under 4 in on the barrel length. More than likely, the amount of time it would be used as a CCW would be minimal, but would like it to fit that role if I wanted to change flavors. I have a neat little SW Airweight that I like.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Most bang for the buck in my opinion would be the STI Spartan IV.

Kimber Pro Carry II if you want to spend the cash.

Can't go wrong either way but will have money leftover if you go the STI route.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Colt introduced the CCO (Concealed Carry Officers) some years ago, and attracted a lot of interest. It has the Commander slide on an officer frame, giving reliability with concealability.

Talo distributors commissioned a re-issue - they call it simply the Commander Lightweight:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=275803960

FWIW the Les Baer Stinger is also a Commander length slide with officers frame, although they cost a lot more. smile This is my Concept X, a limited edition of the Stinger:

[Linked Image]

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I could "LEARN" to like that one! smile

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My big mitts would have a hard time with the shortened grip frame, but for some - maybe even most - that might be the ticket. NICE looking pistola, Tex n Cal!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Yeah..would be a rough venture, but someones gotta do it. That is NICE for sure. Is the "old" Kimber feeding issue a thing of the past, something they have worked out or are some still having that issue. I say old, the last Kimber pistol I got rid of was 6-7 yrs ago, at that time it was blamed on "tight tolerances" that worked itself out with a little "break in" time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A month or so ago I was in the local funshop, when a young man walked up to the 1911 counter. His new Kimber was jamming, and then the safety broke. They gave him his money back. Short answer, no I think Kimber still has issues. Some of them run fine, but I think other brands have better batting averages.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman
My big mitts would have a hard time with the shortened grip frame, but for some - maybe even most - that might be the ticket. NICE looking pistola, Tex n Cal!

Thanks, it is indeed a remarkable piece. Hard chromed slide, Novak-style night sights, rear of slide serrated, alloy frame, ramped barrel to protect the frame, and typical Baer fit, finish, & trigger. What little I have shot it, it also ran 100% grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by safariman
Kimber Pro Carry ll. Alloy frame 4 inch 45ACP with full size grip frame. I wish I still had mine.

The Kimber CDP II is very nice to carry also has the alloy frame.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II owner here. Love it!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Colt introduced the CCO (Concealed Carry Officers) some years ago, and attracted a lot of interest. It has the Commander slide on an officer frame, giving reliability with concealability.

Talo distributors commissioned a re-issue - they call it simply the Commander Lightweight:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=275803960

FWIW the Les Baer Stinger is also a Commander length slide with officers frame, although they cost a lot more. smile This is my Concept X, a limited edition of the Stinger:

[Linked Image]
I think I saw one of those at the gunshow last weekend. It may have been the full-size equivalent though. I forget. The guy had that and a Special Forces which was full-size.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I handled the S&W Gunsite Bobtail with Sc frame and it was a peach.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by supercrewd; 03/01/12.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MIVHNTR
Colt XSE Lightweight Commander in 45 ACP. I'll never sell mine.

Wow! A Ford guy AND a Colt guy! Isn't it great to reach life's pinnacle? grin

Generally, I agree with the 4.25 minimum barrel length for a 1911 with one exception - Colt. Their 3 inch Defender series has received nothing but rave reviews on the 1911 forums. I also believe that Colt is currently turning out the finest 1911's in the company's history.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I own a Kimber Pro Carry. Been terrific and very accurate. Supercrewd -yeah I saw that SW Bobtail and do agree.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For the difference in price between the S&W bobtail & the Dan Wesson Guardian, I'd take the DW & I am a fan of S&W's 1911's.

MM

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
350 members (320090T, 3333vl, 12344mag, 303savage, 160user, 300jimmy, 43 invisible), 1,524 guests, and 675 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,241
Posts18,371,573
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.