-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My wife and I both scuba dive. I have a cheaper waterproof camera, but it is just a point and shoot inside a waterproof housing. While diving in the Cayman Islands this summer I had problems with it on several dives. We are are going to dive Turks & Caicos in the spring, and I want to get a good digital underwater setup before we go diving again. I'd like to get a digital with a nice strobe. Anyone have any ideas????

Hunter01

Last edited by hunter01; 10/31/05.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I may shed some light on this subject for you. My suggestion is to contact the dive center where you are going and arrange to rent an outfit. Unless you dive many, many times a year it will not pay for you to go out and buy a digital underwater setup. The cost per dive would wind up being more than the cost of the rentals when you need them. Also by renting when you do go you will always have access to state of the art cameras.

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for your input and suggestions. I am, however, a little past the point of no return. I've already bought one underwater camera. It amounts to a regular point and shoot inside a waterproof housing. It is a 35mm film camera, and I've gotten some good pictures from it. The key word when taking underwater pictures, I've found, is 'close.' One needs to get close to get good pictures underwater. I've been doing my homework on cameras, as I always do. I've checked with my divemaster at the dive shop where I deal, and also been picking the brains of many who also dive and shoot pictures. We dive two or three times a year at different places such as the Florida Keys, Turks & Caicos, Caymans, etc. This adds up to many dives. Like 10 to 20 major dives, including reefs, wrecks, and wall dives. It is fantastic down there and the only way to bring it back to show others is by taking pictures of what is down there. If I rented a camera everytime we go diving, I'd soon have one paid for, so I figured I'd get a good camera, learn to use it well, and be set for good in the picture taking department. There are several good units out there to pick from. It is just a matter of getting something I can get good use out of with good quality pictures. I really appreciate your input. Thanks again.
Hunter01

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Check Sealife's website and if there is something there that suits you let me know and I will contact them for a price for you

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 54 invisible), 2,229 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,478
Posts18,508,683
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.