Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Having never been able to handle either, am looking at a long range tactical style woodchuck gun. Looking at the nightforce 5.5-22, or the swaro Z5 5-25. Anyone with experience with either, please chime in! If it makes any difference either way, I can get the swaro through a friend for about 500 less. Like I said, neither of these scopes is popular enough here for me to have touched one, so any input is helpful. Thanks!!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
TBurroughs,

The z5 5-25X52 have a love affair going. It is the lightest of the very good scopes. It is not as bright or as clear as my NIghtforce 12-42X56, though. But it is very nice.

At a ranged 521 yards the Swarovski needs to be on 16 1/2X and the Nightforce needs to be on 12X for me to descern the lines and spaces which are about a 1/4" wide on my line chart. If I turn the z5 down to 16X I see a pale grey rectangle.

The Nightforce has A.O. and he z5 is side focus.

I have seen used Nightforces for sale occationally selling for as low as $1100. The best I saw for the z5 was $1,250. You will be happy with either.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If weight of the rig doesnt matter to you I would probably go NF NXS. I have the NF and only thing I would complain about with it is the weight. They are built like a tank and have very good repeatable mechanicals.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TBurroughs
Having never been able to handle either, am looking at a long range tactical style woodchuck gun. Looking at the nightforce 5.5-22, or the swaro Z5 5-25. Anyone with experience with either, please chime in! If it makes any difference either way, I can get the swaro through a friend for about 500 less. Like I said, neither of these scopes is popular enough here for me to have touched one, so any input is helpful. Thanks!!

The Swaro has better glass. The Nightforce has better turrets.
The Swaro is lighter. The Nightforce is stouter.
The Nightforce has a lighted reticle.
Both are very good scopes it just depends on what is most important to you................dj

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

How is it that I went had to get four z5's before I had a keeper if the glass is better than the Nightforce? How did you determine the glass is better? Can it take more abuse before it scratches?

Everyday Hunter
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Ring, he's talking about the glass being better optically. Kinda like the last discussion we had on the Swaro against the Tasco and Bushy!!!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by djpaintless
The Swaro is lighter. The Nightforce is stouter.
The Nightforce has a lighted reticle.
Both are very good scopes it just depends on what is most important to you.
+1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman

How is it that I went had to get four z5's before I had a keeper if the glass is better than the Nightforce? Simple, you are a goofball whose experiences don't seem to relate to anyone elses How did you determine the glass is better? Simple Again, Just look through them. I have 4 Nightforce scopes and some 30 odd Swarovski's, spend a little time looking through both and you can tell which has better optics. Can it take more abuse before it scratches?

Again both are good scopes. The Swaro is lighter and better optically, the Nightforce is good optically, has excellent turrets, a lighted reticle and is tougher. The Swaro would fit better on a lighter weight gun like a walking varminter, the Nightforce would be the better choice for a hard use tactical gun. Just depends on what you want.....................................dj

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
djpaintless,

Again both are good scopes. The Swaro is lighter and better optically, the Nightforce is good optically, has excellent turrets, a lighted reticle and is tougher. The Swaro would fit better on a lighter weight gun like a walking varminter, the Nightforce would be the better choice for a hard use tactical gun. Just depends on what you want.....................................dj

Upon what do you base this statement?

Post your side by side comparisons like I did. Let us make up our minds which is optically better based on something beside anonomus internet prejudice.

Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I would go with nightforce. It's about the only scope I will run anymore. They are heavy but are as reliable as he!!.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
djpaintless,

Upon what do you base this statement?

Post your side by side comparisons like I did. Let us make up our minds which is optically better based on something beside anonomus internet prejudice.

Read the 2nd little sentence in red again..................................dj

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Again I ask you to post a comparison with a Swarovski z5 and a Nightforce using some kind of line chart or eye chart.

Certainly you can do that with a couple of your many scopes.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
compared a NF 2.5-10x32 to z z6 1.7-10x42.....no comparison optically, swaro easily better

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Go to a schmidt and bender and you have the best of both???

"We are building a dictatorship of relativism which recoqnizes nothing as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of ones own self ego and desires."Cardinal Rathzinger
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jeeper
If weight of the rig doesnt matter to you I would probably go NF NXS. I have the NF and only thing I would complain about with it is the weight. They are built like a tank and have very good repeatable mechanicals.

Exactly the same feeling here!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
SAKO75,

compared a NF 2.5-10x32 to z z6 1.7-10x42.....no comparison optically, swaro easily better

We're talkin' z5 here.

Never the less tell us what power the z6 needed and what power the Nighforce needed to see the same details of a line chart or an eye chart. How much longer in the evening does the z6 last?

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Swaro has very nice glass & the Nightforce is about as tough as they come................either way you're getting a VERY good scope!!

Check them both out & decide which is best for YOUR needs.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
SAKO75,

We're talkin' z5 here.

Never the less tell us what power the z6 needed and what power the Nighforce needed to see the same details of a line chart or an eye charot. How much longer in the evening does the z6 last?

Dear God!

Here, hold my beer and watch this!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Again I ask you to post a comparison with a Swarovski z5 and a Nightforce using some kind of line chart or eye chart.

Certainly you can do that with a couple of your many scopes.

Why would I? I don't hunt charts. :-)

Kidding aside, I just don't see the need to use your inconclusive and slanted tests. There is far more to optical performance than sheer resolution. Resolution is important but so is exit pupil, depth of focus, depth of field, clarity, light transmission etc.. You think that because you run 1 test of dozens that can be run you've proven something, you haven't. Your "tests" are completely focused on using your scope as a secondary spotting scope which is something that a lot of ethical hunters won't do. Resolution tests are usefull but they are not the all in all of optical performance.

But as I've said before, Nightforce Scopes have good glass and coatings and are tough as nails. Swarovski's optics are better and they are lighter. I really see the 2 as scopes for different types of guns.....................dj

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
djpaintless,

So then you are not going to answer the O.P. question with objective info but subjective opinion?

How do you decide the glass is better in a Swaro? When I compared my Bushnell 6500 with my Nightforce by looking at leaves and twigsand bark they looked the same. But when I compared them on a chart the better glass of the Nightforce was easily observable by anyone. Tell us again how you know the Swarovski has better glass.

Everyday Hunter
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 1800topsoil, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,692
Posts18,494,126
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.