CLICK HERE for NIKON PROSTAFF 7i LASER RANGEFINDER!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#6271088 - 03/09/12 Re: What not to do..... [Re: sreekers]
EricM Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: SoCal
Good lessons learned here! Funny sh*t, too! smile

RV 728 BP
#6271135 - 03/09/12 Re: What not to do..... [Re: sreekers]
rayporter Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: arkansas
check you pack one more time for your silverware. i hate loaning out my spoon.

and you hate loaning me your coffee cup.

even if you dont oil your bolt and trigger check for function after a wet snow anyway. i had to hold the action over the stove for an hour to thaw it. [ glad i checked cause it did go bang when the time came ] ya cant be too sure!

tell me again how warm that water was when you cleaned up

#6271218 - 03/09/12 Re: What not to do..... [Re: yukonal]
redfoxx Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: TEXAS
Funny stuff there. I'd love to share a campfire with you, and listen to more... [/quote]

Those are just a few of the funny ones that were really just an oversight or inconvenience. I've got a few that could have had much more serious nature... like a pack string and a jeep rolling off the mountain (in the same trip), or a deep hand laceration from boning a mule deer with frozen hands and rushed/bad judgement when using a sharp object (thank God for duct tape), or tying your rain gear around hanging quarters to try to keep the bears off overnight, then have it start raining (the slushy semi-frozen kind) a couple miles down the trail and ending up hypothermic since all you have on is an underarmor heat gear short sleeved shirt... or leaving your late grandfathers buck knife on the hood of your truck only to remember it the next day 8 miles into the back country, worrying about it for a week, then getting back to the truck at the end of the hunt to realize your worst fears came true and someone swiped it! The worst was having my teenaged son become hypothermic way back in the backcountry because I packed too light to save weight and didn't put any cold weather clothing in our packs... had to teach him about sharing body heat to save his life... and about being stupid just trying to save a couple of pounds in the pack...

#6271295 - 03/09/12 Re: What not to do..... [Re: redfoxx]
PeaEye Offline

Loc: New Mexico
Great thread!

Don't head out into cold weather with nothing but food you have to cook. Being hypothermic and stupid in the snow is not the time to be HAVING to get the stove lit .

When you crap, always have your bow or rifle next to you.

When you stalk and take a shot at an antelope, then head back to your pack for the rangefinder after you miss, don't lay your rifle down in tall grass.....

#6271356 - 03/09/12 Re: What not to do..... [Re: redfoxx]
halflife65 Offline

Don't let a stranger that you're helping touch any of your gear. Two things happened here:

a. This guy shot an elk and had "back problems" so when I went up to just help him gut and quarter he suddenly couldn't carry anything. You guessed it, I carried out that stupid mother@$*@)'s elk for him. (Of course, he was probably telling his buddies at home that he got some stupid mother@)$*@@ to carry his elk out for him.) Anyway, I wanted him to contribute in even a small way, so I strapped the head onto my packboard and made him carry it - small raghorn 3 point - while I continued to work on cutting up the rest of the elk. He swore it was over 80 pounds (probably 30 pounds TOPS), started across a hillside and did a HUGE flop bouncing down through the timber with MY packboard attached to him. And I mean he was yardsaleing with all his gear ripping off. I guess that was kind of gratifying but I wish he didn't have my pack on when he did it.

b. Got the last quarter back to his pickup and was going back to retrieve his pack and left my packboard there. His wife was in the pickup and, being helpful, decided to try to get the blood off of it (it's a packboard and it's SUPPOSED to have blood on it.) She disassembled it in such a way that it took me two hours to get it right again. She was annoying but ingenious, I guess.

Honest to God, the guy sounded like Elmer Fudd when he talked, as well. Lazy, uncoordinated, a braggert, horrible stutter - someone probably should have put the brakes on when they were issuing hunter's ed cards. But he did have a kind, well-meaning wife (uglier than sin, though)

Edited by halflife65 (03/09/12)

#6271373 - 03/09/12 Re: What not to do..... [Re: PeaEye]
sreekers Offline
Campfire Regular

When you are hunting elk only shoot one at a time, especially 3 miles back, and no horses.

I came across a goofy looking bull and his cows fairly late in the season after there had been a pretty good snow. Well I had two tags in my pocket and thought it would be a great chance to make use of said tags. Made for a long pack out the next day, especially when my buddy who was helping me pack mine out found a bull to shoot as well. 3 elk in two days was a LOT of work.

Edited by sreekers (03/09/12)

#6271377 - 03/09/12 Re: What not to do..... [Re: halflife65]
halflife65 Offline

Oh, and to make matters worse (almost forgot this part) I had a puppy at home that I'd feed in the garage. The packboard was sitting there and the dog ate the fricken' straps off of it. I guess that lady must've not gotten all the blood off afterall.

I don't mean the dog chewed them up, I mean she consumed them and pooped out packboard straps. I just threw the damn thing away.

#6271446 - 03/09/12 Re: What not to do..... [Re: halflife65]
snubbie Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Western North Carolina Mtns
Never, EVER lay your shotgun, rifle, flyrod, or ANY other gear on top of the car while loading other gear, dogs, etc. into the car You WILL drive off with something on top. Not a matter of IF, just WHEN.
I've driven off with a shotgun, a flyrod and various travel mugs, sunglasses and other assortment of smaller gear.

Originally Posted By: Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

#6271665 - 03/09/12 Re: What not to do..... [Re: halflife65]
MuleyFan Offline

Loc: Auberry,CA
Originally Posted By: halflife65
Oh, and to make matters worse (almost forgot this part) I had a puppy at home that I'd feed in the garage. The packboard was sitting there and the dog ate the fricken' straps off of it. I guess that lady must've not gotten all the blood off afterall.

I don't mean the dog chewed them up, I mean she consumed them and pooped out packboard straps. I just threw the damn thing away.

"I just threw the damn thing away"... Which one,the dog or the packboard?..lol

#6271678 - 03/09/12 Re: What not to do..... [Re: MuleyFan]
sreekers Offline
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted By: MuleyFan
Originally Posted By: halflife65

"I just threw the damn thing away"... Which one,the dog or the packboard?..lol

Both.....

#6271878 - 03/09/12 Re: What not to do..... [Re: sreekers]
halflife65 Offline

Yeah, wanted to but I still have the dog. Danged thing eyeballs my backpacks all the time now - I can't trust her with them. That was a few years ago and I guess she's smart in a dumb kind of way.

#6271891 - 03/09/12 Re: What not to do..... [Re: halflife65]
Field_Hand Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: East Tennessee
not really pertaining to hunting but this happened outdoors. me and a friend were early scouting. when you're 40 years old and 6'6" 260, the fun you used to have riding trees down isn't the same as when you were a kid. i told my buddy watch this(famous last words) ran down a steep ridge jumped and grabbed a sapling tree. that thing bent then snapped and i looked like the old skier on wide world of sports rolling down the hill.
man that hurt. grin

#6271957 - 03/09/12 Re: What not to do..... [Re: snubbie]
T_O_M Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: State of Jefferson
I understand the same thing is true of your boom box you're using for an electronic predator call.

... I won't name any names but if you're paying attention, you know you. smile

But I guess I could say I found out the hard way 'bout binoculars. frown I needed new ones anyway (TM).

Here be dragons ...

#6273756 - 03/10/12 Re: What not to do..... [Re: T_O_M]
superdave Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: grand junction, co
Don't hunt the morning of your wife's very first Lamaze class that she expects you to attend, 'cause you might just get your deer. Nothing like a long run through the woods with full gear.

Don't forget to dig a small drainage trench around your wall tent when rain is coming. Unless you like living swampy I guess.

Definitely don't forget to look for cactus before you sit down. I had some interesting skin geometry for a while, there was a nice safe rectangle from my hunting license inside a large angry red patch of prickles.

Do have a backup travel plan. And when your travel plan depends on others, make sure they have a backup plan. We got stranded in the Weminuche Wilderness on a short backpack trip getting dropped off the D&SNGRR. Mudslide covered the tracks. They did eventually fetch us, but we were prepping for a really long walk and an extra day off work. Long version here:

https://davestories.wordpress.com/2010/09/05/wilderness-hobos/

sd

#6273850 - 03/10/12 Re: What not to do..... [Re: elkhunter_241]
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Kotzebue, AK
Originally Posted By: elkhunter_241
During archery season dont leave your sidearm at camp, no matter how heavy it is.

I only did this twice in a 20 year span and as luck would have it, I ran into a bear both times, the second one got the point across REAL well, it was a grizzly at 15 feet.

Obviously - you didn't need it, and it might have gotten you into trouble if you'd had it...

#6273853 - 03/10/12 Re: What not to do..... [Re: las]
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Kotzebue, AK
Never hunt solo with only one knife and one compass.

#6274860 - 03/10/12 Re: What not to do..... [Re: las]
Calvin Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: AK
Originally Posted By: las
Never hunt solo with only one knife and one compass.

Huge +1 on that.

Most miserable hunt I had was when I was first starting out. Took a buddy with me, who was also green. We stomped up to alpine and doubled up on bucks. I had my knife, no sharpener. My buddy lost his knife on the way up the mountain. Had it in his pocket and it fell out apparently.

I dulled my cheap knife on my buck, boning it out. His buck was pure misery to be quartered and boned. It sucked.

Now I take 2 quality knives, and a small sharpener.

#6274873 - 03/10/12 Re: What not to do..... [Re: Calvin]
Calvin Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: AK
I've gotten in trouble for not enough food/water. I've drank some suspect water, but haven't gotten the Beaver Fever yet. Brutal pack outs without food sucks, especially once you hit the wall. Now I take extra foods. A few salty snacks too. Salt pills help too.

#6274908 - 03/10/12 Re: What not to do..... [Re: Calvin]
sreekers Offline
Campfire Regular

Dave, I liked the story, and the blog as a whole!

On one of my early backpacking trips as a teen we got rained on pretty much the entire way to the lake we intended to fish. We got camp set up but didn't realize we had set our tent up in a depression of sorts. The water bed concept with condensation is not fun....

#6275374 - 03/10/12 Re: What not to do..... [Re: sreekers]
Kurt52 Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Don't island camp on the Colville River in Alaska. There was light rain where we were caribou and moose hunting, but it must have deluged upstream on the North slope of the Brooks Range. Three of us were trapped on a 100 yard long island for a few days when the river rose about 5' and went into full flood. To top it off we had a sow and cub grizzly on the island with us one night sniffing the tent. We were bowhunting, but did have an 870 with slugs along. I didn't shoot but sure as heck used a lot of adrenalin up that night with them circling the tent. One of my hunting buddies never slept a wink in the dark the rest of the trip. At least we had a guard who kept the meager willow fire tended.

The drop camp operator finally delivered by super cup drop a small weather checked raft that we used to go to shore to hunt caribou. We did miss the main migration that swam by us crossing the Colville on the days we were trapped on the little island. One had horns with giant red star shaped tops that still come to mind as I type this!

Edited by Kurt52 (03/11/12)

#6275408 - 03/10/12 Re: What not to do..... [Re: las]
elkhunter_241 Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: North Idaho
Originally Posted By: las
Originally Posted By: elkhunter_241
During archery season dont leave your sidearm at camp, no matter how heavy it is.

I only did this twice in a 20 year span and as luck would have it, I ran into a bear both times, the second one got the point across REAL well, it was a grizzly at 15 feet.

Obviously - you didn't need it, and it might have gotten you into trouble if you'd had it...

Ive had other encounters while armed and didnt "get into trouble" with those. In this case I got lucky, very lucky and will not expect to get so lucky again.

I have said time and again, the best bear defense is your brain, eyes and ears backed up by a weapon you can shoot well.

While you may feel otherwise, I have my preferences and will continue to use them as I see fit.

#6275598 - 03/10/12 Re: What not to do..... [Re: elkhunter_241]
280shooter Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Boise,ID
Don't tease moose during the rut.

#6288936 - 03/14/12 Re: What not to do..... [Re: 280shooter]
16bore Offline
Campfire Tracker

Little brother had a habit of using a sock when he needed "TP". After coming home with a cold foot a time or two, he started carrying the appropriate paper product.

Well....

He also learned that holding on to a pine tree to take care of said business was bad news after spending the rest of the day picking toilet paper off his hands.

#6290804 - 03/14/12 Re: What not to do..... [Re: 16bore]
jockc Offline

Loc: Montana
No matter how much water you need to carry in waterless country, don't leave the minimal, core survival kit behind...even if it's a "cakewalk" day hunt.

That was a long, cold January Idaho night for me, my 12 year old son, and my hunting partner.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
RV 180 2
CLICK HERE for GREAT PRICES on LEUPOLD OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
RV 160 1 2
RV 160 2 2
CLICK HERE for GREAT PRICES on LEUPOLD OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
Who's Online
647 registered (1minute, 16gauge, 12344mag, 222ND, 117LBS, 81 invisible), 1292 Guests and 343 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RV 160 3 2
Forum Stats
53,288 Registered Members
72 Forums
687,998 Topics
9,938,260 Posts

Most users ever online: 4,830 @ 12/02/14

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.