Leica Sport Optics.

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#6271377 - 03/09/12 12:07 PM Re: What not to do..... [Re: halflife65]
halflife65 Offline

Oh, and to make matters worse (almost forgot this part) I had a puppy at home that I'd feed in the garage. The packboard was sitting there and the dog ate the fricken' straps off of it. I guess that lady must've not gotten all the blood off afterall.

I don't mean the dog chewed them up, I mean she consumed them and pooped out packboard straps. I just threw the damn thing away.

BP 468
CLICK BANNER for HUGE SAVINGS on MINOX OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
#6271446 - 03/09/12 12:31 PM Re: What not to do..... [Re: halflife65]
snubbie Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Western North Carolina Mtns
Never, EVER lay your shotgun, rifle, flyrod, or ANY other gear on top of the car while loading other gear, dogs, etc. into the car You WILL drive off with something on top. Not a matter of IF, just WHEN.
I've driven off with a shotgun, a flyrod and various travel mugs, sunglasses and other assortment of smaller gear.

Originally Posted By: Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

#6271665 - 03/09/12 01:25 PM Re: What not to do..... [Re: halflife65]
MuleyFan Offline

Loc: Auberry,CA
Originally Posted By: halflife65
Oh, and to make matters worse (almost forgot this part) I had a puppy at home that I'd feed in the garage. The packboard was sitting there and the dog ate the fricken' straps off of it. I guess that lady must've not gotten all the blood off afterall.

I don't mean the dog chewed them up, I mean she consumed them and pooped out packboard straps. I just threw the damn thing away.

"I just threw the damn thing away"... Which one,the dog or the packboard?..lol

#6271678 - 03/09/12 01:28 PM Re: What not to do..... [Re: MuleyFan]
sreekers Offline
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted By: MuleyFan
Originally Posted By: halflife65

"I just threw the damn thing away"... Which one,the dog or the packboard?..lol

Both.....

#6271878 - 03/09/12 02:22 PM Re: What not to do..... [Re: sreekers]
halflife65 Offline

Yeah, wanted to but I still have the dog. Danged thing eyeballs my backpacks all the time now - I can't trust her with them. That was a few years ago and I guess she's smart in a dumb kind of way.

#6271891 - 03/09/12 02:25 PM Re: What not to do..... [Re: halflife65]
Field_Hand Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: East Tennessee
not really pertaining to hunting but this happened outdoors. me and a friend were early scouting. when you're 40 years old and 6'6" 260, the fun you used to have riding trees down isn't the same as when you were a kid. i told my buddy watch this(famous last words) ran down a steep ridge jumped and grabbed a sapling tree. that thing bent then snapped and i looked like the old skier on wide world of sports rolling down the hill.
man that hurt. grin

#6271957 - 03/09/12 02:44 PM Re: What not to do..... [Re: snubbie]
T_O_M Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: State of Jefferson
I understand the same thing is true of your boom box you're using for an electronic predator call.

... I won't name any names but if you're paying attention, you know you. smile

But I guess I could say I found out the hard way 'bout binoculars. frown I needed new ones anyway (TM).

Here be dragons ...

#6273756 - 03/09/12 10:34 PM Re: What not to do..... [Re: T_O_M]
superdave Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: grand junction, co
Don't hunt the morning of your wife's very first Lamaze class that she expects you to attend, 'cause you might just get your deer. Nothing like a long run through the woods with full gear.

Don't forget to dig a small drainage trench around your wall tent when rain is coming. Unless you like living swampy I guess.

Definitely don't forget to look for cactus before you sit down. I had some interesting skin geometry for a while, there was a nice safe rectangle from my hunting license inside a large angry red patch of prickles.

Do have a backup travel plan. And when your travel plan depends on others, make sure they have a backup plan. We got stranded in the Weminuche Wilderness on a short backpack trip getting dropped off the D&SNGRR. Mudslide covered the tracks. They did eventually fetch us, but we were prepping for a really long walk and an extra day off work. Long version here:

https://davestories.wordpress.com/2010/09/05/wilderness-hobos/

sd

#6273850 - 03/10/12 12:13 AM Re: What not to do..... [Re: elkhunter_241]
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Kotzebue, AK
Originally Posted By: elkhunter_241
During archery season dont leave your sidearm at camp, no matter how heavy it is.

I only did this twice in a 20 year span and as luck would have it, I ran into a bear both times, the second one got the point across REAL well, it was a grizzly at 15 feet.

Obviously - you didn't need it, and it might have gotten you into trouble if you'd had it...

#6273853 - 03/10/12 12:21 AM Re: What not to do..... [Re: las]
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Kotzebue, AK
Never hunt solo with only one knife and one compass.

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
169 registered (30Gibbs, 1flier, 2ndwind, 300maghunter, 2kuduhunter, 257 roberts, 25 invisible), 623 Guests and 422 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
49509 Members
71 Forums
612338 Topics
8755685 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM

Copyright © 2000-2013 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.