Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My Pedersoli rear sight has yardage markings. I presume they are for blackpowder velocities?

"If what I say offends you, you should hear what I don't say."
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would also presume they are of little real value, as ones loads and slug selections are likely to vary substantially. One will need to shoot it in and keep detailed notes.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I figured they might be a starting point as long as velocity was around 1300-1400 fps.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Nobody but you said anything about 40 years of BPCR experience. I've shot it now. Did you have a point? No? I'm not suprised. Jackass!

You are really [bleep] stupid.

well, actually your supposed to be filling in those "Markings" with a special yellow clay, that's only issued those who behave themselves.

I'd say you're still in the "Brown Clay Stupid" group.

If you lick the brown clay off the staff,...you'll learn something.

Funny post, this one.

"I presume they are for blackpowder velocities?"

No,...they're secret NASA rocket trajectory codes, you [bleep]' idiot.

SHhhhh.

GTC

[Linked Image]

Last edited by crossfireoops; 03/16/12.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I may lop about 4" off this long barreled Sharps and put a set of Billy Dixion sights on it. I'd rather hunt with it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Swampman1
Anyone?

Here's a response,.....

Go [bleep] yer'self

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm not sure how that will help, but thanks for the info.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
oh damn, I needed a good laugh grin grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
YOU are the expert and you ask a stupid question like that? After 50 years of shooting, you sure don't know much about the basics in the world of BPCR . . . sheesh.

Yeah, go ahead and whack off 4" of barrel, that'll make it a real shooter . . .

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It won't make it any less accurate, and no velocity will be lost with smokeless powder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It won't make it any less accurate, and no velocity will be lost with smokeless powder.

A really well done crown on the shortened barrel could easily provide increased accuracy over the factory crown.

It's not like you're cutting an original either.

Your rifle, go for it.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Aw come on fellers, give the guy some pointers. You just might get some points from the swampman.... grin

Last edited by Ray Newman; 03/27/12.

The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C'mon, Ray - I am assuming you have followed some of these threads and are saying this with tongue firmly planted in cheek, but just in case you haven't . . .

Many of the really knowledgeable folks here have given the swampcritter many tips and bits of advice regarding BPCR over the last several months. He dismisses them as "incorrect" or he just "knows better". He asks stupid questions - very beginner questions - and pooh-poohs the advice given almost immediately. He says he he has been shooting these for 50 years and loading them for 40, then asks if the rear sight is "marked" for black powder loads? With his vast experience, he should know that the "marks" will shoot a different POA depending on powder load (whether BP or smokeless), bullet weight, loading techniques and shooter. Then he has the gall to say (on the BCPR forum) he is not interested in shooting with black powder. Why not just go to the Single Shot or Big Bore forums to irritate the folks there?

And, after seeing some of his "tips" . . . I don't think there is anything for anyone here to gain from his pointers. JMHO

NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ray Newman
Aw come on fellers, give the guy some pointers. You just might get some points from the swampman.... grin

I did get a good laugh from him smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Otter et al: my comment was not to be taken seriously. Yes I have been following Swampman's posts.

The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hey, Ray,......just as a point of interest, re: "Lopping" anything off of a NEWER Pedersoli barrel,.....you'll probably remember our discussions 5-6 years ago with Dick t. regarding the Pedersoli Plant's new "Microlapping" process, which was all very "Hush-hush" and "proprietary".

It didn't take long to establish that they were using a 'Gum Machine' to microlap the fresh cut barrels, and getting GREAT "Choke".

We'll remember as well that the newer barrels were one HELL of a lot better than the older ones, and shot well, fouled less.

The only "Right way" to shorten a choked barrel is from the BREECH END,......which is just not feasible with the particular barrel discussed.

Oh well, the poor thing is in the hands of a hack, I hope he enjoys his butchery, and will await further 1/2 MOA reports.

Wish I could shoot like that.

GTC

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Greg: I seem to recall a thread on the now-defunct MSN BPCR board about the Pedersoli �match grade barrels�. If memory serves me, Dick T. was evasive as to what �match grade" actually was and how it was measured or determined, all the while defending their �mach grade� quality. Not sure if it is the same thread that you refer to or not.

Or, maybe my own skepticism about Dick T. is showing. I never put too much stock in what Dick T. posted about Pedersoli. He struck me as a shill for Pedersoli. When someone once pointed out that he was a Pedersoli employee and was obviously prejudiced, Dick T. responded that Pedersoli warned him a few times about speaking and posting too harshly about their BPCRs. I found that an amusing answer on Dick T�s part given what he said about Pedersoli products.

You are right about shortening a choked barrel.

Last edited by Ray Newman; 03/28/12.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Ray, I share your thoughts about Dick but I do think their barrels made a quantum leap in quality at one point. A leap that made them finally competitive with other rifle barrels out there.

It is interesting that since Dick's passing, no one has, to the best of my knowledge, been appointed as his replacement by Pedersoli.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Brent: I �dunno� about the new vs. old Pedersoli barrels. I do not have a Pedersoli and really do not know a shooter shooting one. Just hear that there are a few Pedersoli shooters at the local range, but I never see them shoot.

Know of one shooter who, before moving, was very completive with a Pedersoli .45-2.4� Bodine Rolling Block at the local silhouette matches. But Larry seemed to shoot well with any rifle as he is a good marksman and careful reloader and caster.

There were and still are I believe, a few Pedersoli shooters at the local silhouette matches, but I just never noticed how they rank at the end of season. Most field a Sharps, Mecham, and other high end rifles.

Last edited by Ray Newman; 03/28/12. Reason: grammar and spelling

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
've seen and owned some of the new Pedersoli barrels (notably a Gibbs .45) and they are/were good barrels. Some of the older ones prior to the Gibbs coming out and Dick's trumpet were not so great and I had one of those on a Shiloh for a while as a test-bed. While you could see and feel imperfections, it shot okay at least.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Mine shoot fine. The Carbine is amazing. The Deluxe Target Rifle is just too heavy to hunt with in the swamp.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Sadly, you have no ability to even know what "fine" is and no credibility here even if you did.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I think sub-MOA is good enough. The carbine is a great off-hand rifle. The freezer will be bustin' at the seams again this fall.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I think you lie

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm not suprised. I almost never meet anyone that can shoot MOA or better with any type of firearm. Most folks are terrible shots.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm not suprised. I almost never meet anyone that can shoot MOA or better with any type of firearm. Most folks are terrible shots.

True. Fortunately, and unlike you, I'm not one of those people. It must suck shooting like you do.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I spend quite a bit of time teaching people to shoot. It's very fulfilling to see their smiles. If you need any tips just pm me, and I'll see if I can help.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thanks but I would hate to regress like that. If you want to get better, just post a note here and lots of folks will give you good advice so you can ignore it and continue to be pathetically poor as a shooter and hunter.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I spend quite a bit of time teaching people to shoot. It's very fulfilling to see their smiles. If you need any tips just pm me, and I'll see if I can help.

Hey Swampman, just to let you in on a little info, Brent D has for the last several years either won the Creedmoor bpcr match at Lodi Ws, or placed in the top 3... I be you I'ld sit down shutup and listen, you could learn something from him.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I don't care who or what he is.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Or anybody else apparently from the posts you put here and on Greybeards...

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mine shoot fine. The Carbine is amazing, SO IS MY OFFHAND FORM< AND MY KNOWLEDGE OF HANDLING THE THING. The Deluxe Target Rifle is just too heavy to hunt with in the swamp.

Fixed

And now for a cartoon break,......

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ranch13
Or anybody else apparently from the posts you put here and on Greybeards...

Correct...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think sub-MOA is good enough. The carbine is a great off-hand rifle. The freezer will be bustin' at the seams again this fall.

MOA is Swamphole's case: MINUTE OF MORON. Yeah his feezer will be full of ass-shot button bucks and dink spikes....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Yeah his feezer will be full of ass-shot button bucks and dink spikes....

Doubtful. More likely store bought hamburger and stuff like squash-puree, you know - baby food.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I couldn't care less where they are hit as long as they are recovered. It's all ground into hamburger anyway. Horns are left in the woods for the rest of the animals to eat. No use for them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I couldn't care less where they are hit as long as they are recovered. It's all ground into hamburger anyway. Horns are left in the woods for the rest of the animals to eat. No use for them.

This ranks up there with one of his more idiotic posts and merits saving for posterity and maybe even broadcast to the rest of the forum to further ridicule this idiot...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
In case you haven't noticed jorge, I don't care what you do, or the rest of the world thinks. Let them know that too.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Otter

Yeah, go ahead and whack off . . .

Otter, PLEASE!! don't ever use that phrase when addressing Swampwater. The mental image..... sick sick sick

Johnny $

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Post on the BPCR.net forums indicate that cutting 4" to 6" off the barrel of a Pedersoli won't hurt accuracy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, when you just look at just that part of the sentence, it does give a rather ugly visual image, doesn't it? grin sick blush

NRA Endowment Member
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (808outdoors, Akhutr, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10 invisible), 15,087 guests, and 1,024 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,107
Posts18,541,913
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.