Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The 3 guys I hunted Elk with all had semi-autos. 2 BAR in 7 Mag and 1 Rem in 30-06. They were accurate enough for Elk but the BARs were waaaay too heavy for the country we hunted and slow to get into action. One year in the Winaha, one BAR jammed while shooting at an Elk (ne never got another chance) and the Rem tore part of the rim off an 06 round (fortunately the Elk tipped over) -- leaving the case in the chamber. These were all factory Rem rounds.

The next year, 2 of them had Weatherbys and the Rem guy had a Model 70.

Last edited by LarryfromBend; 12/25/11.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My first deer rifle was a Remington model 742 BDL chambered in 30/06 that I had bought back in the sixties at the time I only weighed 125 pounds or less and it literally kicked the living [bleep] out of me, it cured me of Semi Autos. I then went to a Marlin Lever Gun in 35 Rem and hunted with it for years until I left Florida in 1973. I didn't start using Bolt actions until the early eighties when I started hunting again here in the Northwest. Since going with a bolt action rifle I have never looked back and wanted another semi auto rifle with the excepotion of my Ruger 10/22.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I've hunted elk with semi-auto's: AR in 6.8SPC and .499 LW (pretty much similar to the .50 Beowulf) and a .308 FAL. Hunted antelope with another FAL too. Wouldn't feel out of place hunting elk with a Garand either other than I much prefer the ergonomics of the AR or the FAL. Never had a failure to feed/extract hunting with decent ammo or my hand loads but I guess it is always a possibility.

I have had a primer blow out in a bolt gun and a case head separation with another bolt gun, not to mention weak primer strikes with a Marlin .30-30 so I guess even the supposedly superior guns can screw up?? Gently reminding everyone that even the best, supposedly most reliable guns can throw a wrench in your plans when hunting.

BTW, as long as distances and shot placement are reasonable, elk will fall over when shot with semi-auto calibers as no-one seems to have informed them the rounds and rifles are inadequate..... grin

Posted this before here but this was with a 6.8 some years ago:
[Linked Image]

Goodwill to all here, ethical hunters all I hope, no matter what we hunt with.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Too heavy for my taste.

NRA Benefactor member
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good chance the case head seperation and blown primer were ammo related, not the rifle's fault.

Nice shooting with the 6.8! What bullet was used?

Last edited by prairie_goat; 03/16/12. Reason: clarification
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used to go Tikka T3 300 WSM bolty, full bore, for Elk. Never even considered a semi. But then I invested in a levergun for Elk ... not 444 Marlin or 45/70, but rather 338MX and I have been very very happy with the decision.

[Linked Image]

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The two guys that I hunt with in Colorado both use BARs in 7mm Mag. Both received their rifles as gifts (one guy from his boss and the other from his wife). I don't know if either of them would have gone out and bought one on their own. I use a single shot most of the time, but usually take along a bolt rifle with a synthetic stock for rainy or wet, snowy days.

One guy hasn't shot an elk in several years, because he doesn't keep the meat and he has enough heads on his walls. However, he has never fired more than one shot at an elk since I have known him. The other guy kills an elk just about every year and the least number of shots that he has taken at an individual elk is two. Most of the time, it's three or four.

I am a rifle looney and have taken elk with about a dozen different cartridges over the years, but most folks shoot what they have or what they like, and let it go at that.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My dad hunted elk in the thick timber of Western Montana. After decades of Model 70s, and literally dozens of elk, he switched to a BAR in '06. He mixed up a concoction of diesel and graphite that kept it lubricated and working below zero. Also had it Magnaported. He didn't care about the recoil but the porting kept the muzzle from rising as much so he could see the bullet strike through the scope. That way he knew if he hit the critter or hit a lodgepole. It was a practical outfit.

Walt

One unerring mark of the love of the truth is not entertaining any proposition with greater assurance than the proofs it is built upon will warrant. John Locke, 1690
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't see for the life of me were a Semi Auto would not do the job, they can be just as reliable as any firearm can be. I am more of a bolt or single shot guy, thou I am going back to a Marlin 336 30-30 for my deer hunting, I hunted some in th early 1970's with one. While not a semi auto, its not a bolt gun or single shot. My guess the guys that know how to keep one clean and properly lubed have no problems. They guys that treat there guns like junk well my guess they do. One of my friends hunts with a Remington 742 and dam it he always has game on the ground when ever he shoots. To each his own on this one.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I hunt with what I have, my dad left me a BAR and it kills stuff. He also left me a 336 lever, it kills stuff. Simple, really. At 58 I have sold all the super magnums I bought since, and enjoy the the guns my dad left me. Worked then, works now.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I use a bolt gun only because it was first in my closet and always does the job ...

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Nobody has ever had a bolt action rifle feed a shell wrong and not work correctly? My dad had a savage that would stick the bullet nose right to the inside top of the action and wedge it there, making a second shot a real issue. While semi autos can not possibly be as reliable as bolts, even bolt actions have feeding issues on occasion.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lessdog, 1234, 46 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,104
Posts18,502,164
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.