Print Thread
Hop To
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
WTS: used books on Civil War, Western/US history, Fishing, Aviation, Outdoor adventures. ALL PRICES INCLUDE SHIPPING TO CONTINENTAL US ONLY. I DON'T DO PayPal, but do take MOs of all kinds, cash, and personal checks as long as you can wait a couple of days or have bought from me before (Please remind me!).

An "I'll take book #___" here on this thread is the only way to reserve a book. Then I'll PM you my address for payment. (Please ask any questions by PM, not here--I'll try to answer all promptly).

TAKE $1 OFF THE PRICE OF ALL BOOKS AFTER THE FIRST ONE YOU ORDER.

Civil War books

A.SPF "Embattled Courage: the Experience of Combat in the American Civil War" by Gerald F. Linderman. An analysis of the changing motivations and reasons for courage in combat in the War. Quality PB 366 pp exc. cond. illus w/b/w contemporary photos. $6

B.SPF "The Civil War Almanac" ed Henry Steele Commager. A complete compact chronology of the war with added sections on Weapons, the Naval War, and Biographies of notable persons. Indexed. Quality PB 400 pp in exc cond. w/some cover wear. Illus. w/colored and b/w repros. of CW-era magazine illustrations, etc. $6

C.SPF "American Scoundrel: the Life of the Notorious General Dan Sickles" by Thomas Keneally. Author of "Schildler's List" writes biography of Union general--hero, cocksman, murderer. Quality PB 409 pp. in exc reading cond w/previous owner's name written in front cover. %5

D. SPF "Portraits of the Civil War in Photographs, Diaries, and Letters" by Charles Phillips and Alan Axelrod. A complete record of the war in period photographs and photocopies of personal documents. Supported by author's interpretive text. HB 10x10" 157 pp. in new cond. w/exc. dust jacket. Many full-page photos. (has previous owner's stamp on front inside cover). U. Washington Press. $9

E. "The Photographic History of the Civil War: Soldier Life, Secret Service, Prisons, and Hospitals". This is a modern repro of the 4th volume of a 1911 series of books that chronicled the whole war in photos and text. This volume covers the daily lives of soldiers, the intelligence services including skirmishers and scouts, the POW system, and the hospitals. HUNDREDS of Photos. HB 352 pp. in exc/new cond. w/exc. dust jacket (Blue and Gray Press) $10

F. "Civil War Fantastic" ed. Martin H. Greenburg. (FICTION) This is a collection of modern stories about the war written by modern science fiction writers. Mainly of a "what if" variety: "What if war horses could tell THEIR story? What if a spirit told a sniper who, what, and when to shoot? etc. PB 315 pp. exc. reading cond. $3

G. SPF "The Illustrated Atlas of the Civil War" ed. Henry Woodhead. An atlas of the major campaigns and battles showing the stages of each in colored maps. Illustrated by contemporary photos and colored paintings and magazine illustrations. An excellent reference book on the War. Softbound 9x11" 320 pp. new/exc. cond. $7

H. "The Bloodiest Day: the Battle of Antietam" by Ronald Bailey. A volume of the Time-Life Civil War series that covers the pivotal battle in which more Americans were killed than in any day before or since (as many in one day as in all of Vietnam). The moves that led to the battle, the battle in detail, and its political and military consequences. HB 176 pp. new cond. heavily illus. w/b/w photos, maps, and colored magazine illustrations of the times. $7

I. "The Battle of Pea Ridge" by Pea Ridge National Military Park staff. Park's brochure w/history of the battle also called "Elkhorn Tavern." PB 44 pp. exc. cond w/maps, b/w photos, includes an article on the American Indian regiments at Pea Ridge. $3

American History books

J. The American Plague: the Untold Story of Yellow Fever" by Molly Caldwell Croskey. "Yellow Jack" is an African virus spread by mosquitoes that were brought to America on slave ships in 1648 and shaped the development of the country and the hemisphere, killing 20 American troops in the war with Spain for every one killed by a Mauser bullet. How the US Health Service figured out what caused it (by experimenting on themselves) and how it is still with us. Quality PB 378 pp. in exc. reading cond. illus w/historic b/w photos and repros of contemporary magazine articles. $6

K. "1777: the Year of the Hangman" by John S. Pancake. U. Alabama historian's detailed account of the year the British expected to "hang all the traitors in America." Instead they got Trenton, Bennington, Saratoga, and Germantown... Detailed description of the armies, their arms, and the battles. Quality PB 276 pp. illus. w/maps, b/w repros of portraits. Exc. reading cond. but discarded library book w/stamps and stickers. $5

L. "This Glorious Struggle: George Washington's Revolutionary War Letters" ed. by Edward G. Lengel. Washington expert's collected and edited letters that "held the army and the nation together." His thoughts and commands on leadership, strategy, politics, ideals, and the nation's future. Edited to modern spelling. Quality PB 297 pp. illus. w/maps, in exc. cond. but a publisher's proof missing index. (Smithsonian Books) $4

M. SPF "The United States Air Force, A Turbulent History" by Herbert Malloy Matthews. From the first sorties against Pancho Villa to the end of the Vietnam War, the Air Force has fought for its place in the sky... and the Federal Budget. A detailed history w/79 b/w photos by an aviation authority. HB 287 pp. exc. cond w/exc. dust jacket. $5

O. "Secret Service" the Hidden History of an Enigmatic Agency" by Phillip Stevens. Complete story of the Secret Service from its anti-counterfeiting origins to it's secretive multi-roles today. HB 375 pp. new cond. w/new dust jacket. $5

P. "Soldier Boy Elvis" by Ira Jones. Elvis' platoon sergeant's memoir of the King's service in a scout platoon of the 32nd Armored Regiment in Germany during the Cold War. Pfc. Presley was a surprisingly good trooper! HB 256 pp. exc. cond illus. w/many b/w photos. Cover slightly soiled. $5

Western History books

Q. "The Great Chiefs" by Benjamin Capps. Time-Life volume that covers the native leaders who resisted and supported the Western movement. Covers all the Western Indian Wars. Heavily illus. w/b/w photos and colored period paintings. HB 8 1/2x11" 240 pp. in exc/new cond. $6

R. "The Gunfighters" by Paul Trachtman. Time-Life volume on the Western shootists on both sides of the law (sometimes the same guy...). Illus. w/many b/w photos, color repros of paintings, and features a multi-page foldout section showing all the most popular weapons and rigs. 8 1/2x11" HB 238 pp. new cond. $7

S. "Gold Rush Glimpses: Outlaws, Inspirations, Amusements" by Craig and Franklin Macdonald. Tales and details of the California Gold Rush by a prominent local historian, illustrated by color and b/w repros of many drawings and paintings by Western artists Bill Anderson and Milford Zornes. Quality PB 7x10" 152 pp. exc. cond w/gift inscription on inside cover. $5

Books on outdoor adventures

T.SPF "River Horse: A Voyage Across America" by William Least Heat Moon. Popular native author of "Blue Highways" crosses the US from New York Harbor to the mouth of the Columbia in an outboard boat. HB exc/new cond. 520 pp. illus. w/maps and drawings, w/exc. dust jacket. $7

U. "Lost at Sea: Great Shipwrecks of History" by Ronald Pearsall. Wrecks from ancient Greece to the "Exxon Valdees," shown in 124 full-color photos and repros of period colored illustrations. Includes Civil War, WWII, and Spanish treasure ships shot underwater, the "Titanic." HB exc. cond. 9s13" 128 pp. w/slightly worn dust jacket. $7

V.SPF "Lost in Tibet: the Untold Story of Five American Airman, a Doomed Plane, and the Will to Survive" by Richard Starks and Miriam Murcutt. A C-87 (cargo B-24) flying "the Hump" in WWII crashes in Tibet and crew bail out and have to survive the environment, natives,and the politics. Quality PB 220 pp. new cond. illus. w/b/w photos. $5

W.SPF "Lost in Shangri-la" by Mitchell Zuckall. A joyriding C-47 crashes in New Guinea in 1945 and the 3 badly injured survivors, one of them a WAC corporal, have to survive the mountains,the jungle, "holdout" Japanese, and the natives. Based on a long-lost WWII diary. HB 393 pp. in new/exc. cond. illus w/b/w photos and maps. $7

X.SPF "The Last Season" by Eric Blehm. National Outdoor Book Award winning story of the life and death of an expert ranger in the Sierra Nevada in 1996 and the huge manhunt to find him. A classic. Quality PB in exc. reading cond. w/cover edge wear. $4

Z.SPF "Boomerang: Behind an Australian Icon" by Philip Jones. The complex story of a simple thing. Covers all boomerangs: return, hunting and war, fishing, musical, firemaking, food digging, and ornamental. MANY color illustrations of all types, historic photos of their users, diagrams of how they work. Many "outback" photos of where they were born and used. A beautiful little book. Quality PB new cond. 140 pp. $7

Aviation books

A1 "Flight" by the editors of "Year" magazine, foreword by Donald Douglas. A complete history of man's flight from hot air balloons to the Boeing 707. Full of photos of unusual and experimental types. Covers WWI, WWII, Korean wars. A HUGE HB 206 pp. inc. added history of Douglas aircraft company and multi-page color foldout of all Douglas planes 1920-1960. Exc. cond text, photos, and covers w/torn dust jacket. $8 (very heavy).

B2 "The Great Atlantic Air Race" by Percy Rowe. WWII RAF historian's history of the Northcliffe Prize for crossng the Atlantic by air, America to Ireland, which was interrupted by WWI and ended in 1919. Pioneer planes and pilots illus. w/40 b/w photos. Photos and text exc. worn dust jacket. $6

C3SPF "The Ultralight Pilot's Training Manual" by Curtis Hughes. This is the US Ultralight Aviation Assns. official training manual. A workbook format on how to become an ultralight aircraft pilot. Softbound 8 1/2x11 253 pp. in near new cond illus. w/diagrams, charts, and drawings. Includes the knowledge pre-tests a student pilot needs to pass. $6

Fishing books

D4 "The Trout and Salmon Fisherman's Bible" by Jim Bashline. Intro. to the salmonids, the tackle to catch them, how to cook them, and where and how to find them. 8 1/2x11" softbound 176 pp. in exc. cond. w/b/w photos, diagrams #4

E5 "The Bonefish, Tarpon, and Permit Fly Fishing Guide" by Al Raychard. Gear, techniques, and locations to fish for the "Big Three" of saltwater fly fishing. 8 1/2x11" softbound 78 pp. heavily illus. w/color photos of gear, fish, and flies. $4

F7 "Why Fish Bite and Why They Don't" by James Westman. Classic old book by a wildlife biologist on fish behavior done in a humorous way with cartoons and drawings. HB 210 pp. in exc. cond. w/worn dust jacket, llus w/drawings, diagrams. $5

G8 "Game Fish of North America" by Silvio Calabri. 21 chapters of the most popular types of game fish, 10 freshwater and 11 salt. Fish are described in full color, full page photos and plates. All trout, all bass, and all panfish have their own chapters. Life cycles, distribution, fishing methods, and all world records are described. HB 171 pp. 10x12" in exc./new cond w/exc. dust jacket. By the editor of "Rod and Reel" magazine. $7

H9 "Pacific Salmon and Steelhead Trout" by R.J. Childerhose and Maij Trim. More a "fish" book than a "fishing" book, this describes the life cycles of the Pacific salmonids, the industry they have supported, and the efforts to sustain them and the industry. 9x12" softbound 158 pp. illus. by 100+ color photos, color plates of all species, and maps and charts. $6

I10 SPF "The Fly Fisherman's Primer" by Paul Fling and Donald Puterbaugh. Two veteran angler/instructors detail how to fly fish. Step-by-step: tackle, rigging and knots,casting, matching flies, how to fish types of water and types of fish. Illus w/many line drawings, diagrams, and color illus. of trout and flies. 8 1/2x11" softbound 160 pp. in exc. cond. w/slight cover wear. $6

THANKS FOR READING MY LONG POST! DON'T FORGET TO TAKE 1$ OFF EACH BOOK YOU ORDER AFTER THE FIRST ONE.

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

Last edited by Mesa; 03/16/12.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I will take item v and item x.I will PM you.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I will take "M".
Thanks,
Scott

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I'll take:
T
Z
C3
I10

PM sent

rudyc

It's a good day for something.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
i'll take C

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'll take Book H and Book R.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Books V and X SPF to hairhunter

Book M SPF to elecgun

Books T,Z, C3, and I10 SPF to rudyc.

Book C SPF to planewinch.

THANKS for buying, guys! PMs to everyone ASAP.

Mike Armstrong aka mesa

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I'll take A & D. PM to you.

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Books A and D SPF to beefan. Thanks! PM on the way.

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Bump o' the Day!

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I will take B and G

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Books B and G SPF to morestag. Thanks! PM ASAP.

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I'll take "W" if it's still available?
pm me with addy please and amount.

dave

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Book W SPF to ilikemilitaria Thanks for buying again! PM on the way.

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ill take books K,L And S

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Books K, L, and S SPF to badwolf THANKS! PM on the way.

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

PLEASE NOTE: I'VE LOST THE EDIT FUNCTION ON THIS AD, SO CAN'T MARK BOOKS SOLD--READ THE SECOND PAGE OF THE THREAD TO SEE WHAT SOLD LATELY! SORRY, DON'T KNOW WHY THIS HAPPENS, BUT IT ALWAYS SEEMS TO WHEN THE THREAD IS UP FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS.

MESA

Last edited by Mesa; 03/17/12.

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
books H and R SPF to Crimsontide. Thanks!

Sorry I overlooked your order the first time! PM on the way!

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Sunday morning bump

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
OLB: One Last Bump!

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,779 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,481
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.