Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
hardway Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Got my new Hunters edge for my 600 build. First the Timney trigger group did'nt fit...saftey lever was rubbing. No biggie...a little dremmel work and she dropped right in. Now that its in the barrel is'nt centered...its actually touching on one side. If I shim it over it has good clearance all the way around but I would say its off a solid 1/8" or so. Anybody else have this problem? Should I send it back?

Last edited by hardway; 04/04/12.
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Is it the stock, or the barreled action?

I think, therefore I am, conservative.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I sure hope my barrel is'nt crooked.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have experienced the same, both with EDGE stocks. One on a model 70 action and the other on a model 700.

Now, BOTH are FACTORY BARRELED actions and I am starting to think that is the problem.

I have been able to correct this with bedding and sanding pressure points. In fact I just received a EDGE in rem classic tonight. I had to correct the off center barrel issue and the bedding job is curing as we speak.

I have noticed that when the barreled action is in the stock without bottom metal and screws (just laying in the stock), everything is centered. Then when I take my thumb and apply pressure to the rear tang area to replicate the action screw pressure....voila...the barrel goes off center near the last two inches of the for-end of the stock.

In both cases the barrel touches the left side of the stock.

Is this what you are experiencing?

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular

I have noticed that when the barreled action is in the stock without bottom metal and screws (just laying in the stock), everything is centered. Then when I take my thumb and apply pressure to the rear tang area to replicate the action screw pressure....voila...the barrel goes off center near the last two inches of the for-end of the stock.

In both cases the barrel touches the left side of the stock.

Is this what you are experiencing? [/quote]

I dont think so.... Mine is off without the screws installed.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Make sure that the trigger is still not rubbing somewhere. Rubbing on the safety lever will push the fron of the barrel to the right, and rubbing on the bolt release lever will push everything to the left.

If nothing is rubbing, then your barrel is either likely not square to the action, or your recoil lug possibly canted slightly. Grind awy any potential interferences, center the barrel in the channel with a tape ring, and bed the action. You will be good to go from that point. Given that the inlets on the McMillan stocks are CNC cut, it is highly unlikely that the inletting is the culprit.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The barrel channel problem can be caused by the recoil lug being canted slightly pushing the barrel across to one side. McMillans barrel inlets have been dead straight in my experience.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Relieve It A Little In The Lug Area. Also Look For Shiny Spot Where The Action Is touching.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by hardway
I sure hope my barrel is'nt crooked.
Well, it can be.. I've run into a few so far off that no amount of bedding adjustment will get 'em straight.. One was nearly .200 off at the muzzle..

At the same time, as others have said, your recoil lug could be off a couple degrees - that alone can make a difference.. check it out with a level first, if for no other reason than to eliminate one variable from consideration..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've worked with several Mcmillan stocks, and several Remington model 700 barreled actions. My best guess is the barrel is not square to the action, or the recoil lug is not indexed properly, or both. Most of the Remington barreled actions I've worked with in the last 10 years or so have not been concentric to some degree. Out of the last 6 I ordered, only two were "straight" as far as the eye could tell. A barrel "set back", re-chamber, and action squaring job by a quality gunsmith corrects the problem. In my experience, the Mcmillan stock is most likely not the problem. It seems most barrels from Remington lean to the left.
Good luck,
Rick

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I wonder if the right hand threads and torque on the lug play into that?

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Now that I think of it, in the two instances it has happened to me I venture to guess that it was the recoil lug.

I would as others have recomended, releive the recoil lug area and see if it will line up straight with out tape shimming the barrel straight.

After that, tape the barrel so it will center and then bed.

Good luck.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Remington must have abolished their Q.C. department back in the early 90's. Haven't seen anything of any quality since then.

Where is Swampman when you need him?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Considering the money involved, its getting boxed up and headed to "Redneck" to make sure its done right. I'm pretty handy but I'm a surveyor...not a gunsmith.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JasonF
The barrel channel problem can be caused by the recoil lug being canted slightly pushing the barrel across to one side. McMillans barrel inlets have been dead straight in my experience.

Jason is probably correct. The recoil lug isn't indexed. You can turn the recoil lug till the barrel is centered in the channel.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,472
Posts18,471,452
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.