Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It's time to set my oldest up with a deer rifle for this fall. He's drilling holes with his BB Gun and handles the Ruger 10/22 with little issue. I want to give him a few months of practice before I put him in front his first Whitetail.

Here is my criteria:

- I'm leaning heavily towards a .243
- It must be bolt action or single shot.
- It must be able to accept a scope.
- It has to be built well enough to be used by several kids over a span of several years.
- It can be new or used, but I'm not looking to break the bank.

We have already looked a used model 700 in .243 and checked out the Rossi in .243. Price wise, the Rossi takes it. However, the Model 700 was a good fit and that platform is something I am familiar with.

I'd like to have some recommendations from the folks here on the fire. What did your children start with? What worked, what didn't?

Thanks in advance.

Washburn

HR IC

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Washburn
Here is my criteria:

- I'm leaning heavily towards a .243
- It must be bolt action or single shot.
- It must be able to accept a scope.
- It has to be built well enough to be used by several kids over a span of several years.
- It can be new or used, but I'm not looking to break the bank.

We have already looked a used model 700 in .243 and checked out the Rossi in .243. Price wise, the Rossi takes it.

While the Rossi may be cheaper, this is definitely a case of "you get what you pay for".

If the used M700 was priced fairly, I'd be getting that one.

Cut the stock, or find a youth stock. It's always easy to find another full sized stock for a M700 later. Can you say that about the Rossi? whistle

Another good one to consider would be a Model Seven in a youth stock.

Have fun!

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39

I just sold mine....excellent quality, ammo is inexpensive which means more practice and a better shooter! Don't be fooled either, the 7.62x39 will take deer every time! Perfect size for the small stature of a kid too and recoil is next to nothing!

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As above, the CZ 527 in 7.62x39 has no competition in this segment to my mind. Weighs less than 6lbs, no recoil to speak of and a genuine deer gun. A 243 would also be fine, but the CZ is just a brillant little rifle. It is the kind of rifle he'll use with pride the rest of his life. Only shame is they don't do a full stock in the 7.62x39.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You have many choices;

Other than the M700 youth and the Rossi you looked at, there are other choices. Wby Vanguard youth w/20" barrel, Howa M1500 Ranchland w/20" barrel, Ruger M77 compact w/16.5" barrel, Savage IIRC has a youth model w/20" barrel.

I have very handy and great handling Ruger compact for the thicker stuff and I`m far from youth sized. At 35.5" long it should be a very good OAL for youths to handle.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ColdBore

While the Rossi may be cheaper, this is definitely a case of "you get what you pay for".

In most cases, I couldn't agree more. I found the Rossi to be very heavy for a small rifle. Fit and finish wasn't perfect, but it looked like it would function fine. I think they are priced correctly for what they are.

Originally Posted by ColdBore

If the used M700 was priced fairly, I'd be getting that one.

Cut the stock, or find a youth stock. It's always easy to find another full sized stock for a M700 later. Can you say that about the Rossi? whistle

Another good one to consider would be a Model Seven in a youth stock.

Have fun!

The model 7 is something I have been toying with as well. I think that platform would work well sitting in a youth stock.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by fatjack34

I just sold mine....excellent quality, ammo is inexpensive which means more practice and a better shooter! Don't be fooled either, the 7.62x39 will take deer every time! Perfect size for the small stature of a kid too and recoil is next to nothing!

I hadn't considered that one. Nice looking rifle too. I don't reload, is that ammo readily available?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
It should have open sights then when he learns to hunt, talk scope.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have had very good results with both a Model 7 Youth stocked 223 and a M700 Youth stocked 243.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

For a child, the recoil of the 243 is quite a step up. For the right shooter, like my older boy - it's no problem at all. But for my younger girls and boys, the 223 is a far better fit...but the 700 platform is better...

Except, the 223 twist on our Model 7 will barely stabilize 60 Partitions (and some Remingtons won't - it's hit and miss), and the 223 shines with even a little heavier stuff - like the 62 TSX's.

So, it's a bit of a catch 22.

A rebarrel, or a Montana 223 with a better twist, or a Tikka with the 1/8 twist all are better with the heavier 223 bullets; however, a 53 TSX or a 55 in something else will kill lots of whitetails plenty dead.

If you can live with lighter bullets, a 700 223 with a decent youth stock is hard to beat if you're trying to keep costs down.

The 700 is likely to shoot better and be less finicky and quirky than the Model 7, IME, and is worth the slightly larger action for what is gained, IMHO.

If recoil is OK in a 243, a 700 dropped in a cut down Ti stock is awfully hard to beat.

That's what this one is:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c...stBuck1-2011NewYearsFireworks344-2-1.jpg[/img]

The 243 700's are twisted better - will run light stuff and most heavies just fine.

DJ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd go 700 Youth in a 243, and then when the lad grows a bit stick it in a Ti take off. The 20" standard contour (Youth barrel) will shoot lights out and will be easy to handle.

I've done this a time or 3 so feel comfy in advising going this direction.

Side note, our local Walmart carry's the 700 Youth with a cheapy scope on it for $399. Maybe a local Walmart will do the same for you?

Best of luck to ya!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
DJ,

Nice looking family. Looks like they are well on there way to becoming good hunters.

I appreciate the advice. As you and a few others have stated, the 700 is tough to overlook.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Side note, our local Walmart carry's the 700 Youth with a cheapy scope on it for $399. Maybe a local Walmart will do the same for you?

Dober

That's in my budget for sure. Some of the local Walmart stores have dropped there firearms sales. I'm sure I can find one within driving distance though.

Thanks!

Washburn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you, sir.

If he's ready for 243 recoil, it's a great option in a 700 in a Ti.

I'm confident my boy will use his all his life, and let his boy run it, Lord willing.

The youth stock is plenty handy - even for me, and he can always drop it into a full size Ti or an Edge down the road.

BTW, I think the stainless 700's are $479 at Dicks if you are wanting to go that route. Wal Mart will price the blue ones cheaper, and Academy will as well.

Hope it works out well.

DJ

C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Been faced with a similar problem but trying to find a rifle to fit a petite woman. Looked at the Weatherby and Howa youth rifles but they have very bulky stocks; especially considering they are supposed to be for small people who also come equipped with small hands!

Ended up with a Model 70 Featherweight Compact in 7mm/08. Twice as much money as a Weatherby or Howa but a nicer rifle that is expected to be used for years on antelope, mule deer and elk. (pics in thread on FW Compact.) For a young person who may grow out of it, the M70 may not be the best choice, but for a small adult, it seemed the best alternative.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The rifle at Dicks also has a cheapy scope, and for the extra $79 I'd spring for the stainless for a rifle to build memories and last a lifetime.

But...I wouldn't leave the cheapy scope on either the Wally World or the Dicks rifle.

A scope with good eye relief and a forgiving eye box is awfully important for a youth rifle. I'd try to find a decent used Leupy if I could. It's every bit as important as a rifle that fits well, IMHO.

DJ

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
DJ your picx sure do make me smile!
I started mine out with H&R Ultra .308 and Much reduced loads. Stock was replaced with a Youth length till they grew out of it.

The boys have bolt rifles now but that H&R has continued to be a stepping stone for other young hunters.

DJ's right, don't trust memories like these to cheap scopes!!!

Last edited by colodog; 04/07/12. Reason: add comment

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DJTex
The rifle at Dicks also has a cheapy scope, and for the extra $79 I'd spring for the stainless for a rifle to build memories and last a lifetime.

But...I wouldn't leave the cheapy scope on either the Wally World or the Dicks rifle.

A scope with good eye relief and a forgiving eye box is awfully important for a youth rifle. I'd try to find a decent used Leupy if I could. It's every bit as important as a rifle that fits well, IMHO.

DJ

Agreed.

I'm a Leupy guy for sure, so that's probably what will sit on whatever he ends up with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the new K4 or K6's would work very well on the rig. I use the heck out of a K6 and its awesome!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
My son just turned 7 when I bought him a Remington 700 ADL .243 from Wal Mart for $379. Attached is a pic of his first deer and a 3 shot group from 100 yds with factory ammo. Good luck and enjoy these moments with your kids.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Washburn
Originally Posted by fatjack34

I hadn't considered that one. Nice looking rifle too. I don't reload, is that ammo readily available?

Yes, ammo is very readily available. It is the stuff the AK47 runs on. The ballistics are perfect for young shooters - very efficient, not so much powder so a little quieter. Similar ballistically to a 30-30.

I'd stay clear of bigger capacity cartridges lke the 243 with barrels shorter than 20" - they are loud, and muzzle blast is often more of a problem for kids than recoil. Their ears are more senistive than ours.

The big advantage of the CZ 527 vs the other rifles being mentioned, is that it is built around a smaller action, not just a full sized rifle with a bit cut off the barrel and stock. Though if a model 7 came up, i would also consider that, too.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (10gaugemag, 358wsm, 300_savage, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 11 invisible), 1,189 guests, and 809 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,216
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.