Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I agree with you .. once the kinks are worked out.

However, I haven't seen a blued, 4-5/8" barreled .45 blackhawk with a tall enough front sight in about 2 years. If you go that route, expect some down time to send it back to the factory.

Both of mine have front sights tall enough to accomodate my loads with 280 and 300gr bullets at 1000fps, at 50 yards. The rear sights are in the mid-range of their travel when sighted in.

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The 45 Colt will be lighter with it's aluminum grip frame, fluted cylinder, and more metal milled out of the chambers and bore.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have a three screw SBH that was a .44 Rem Mag, is now a .45 Colt. It was line bored by Jim Stroh at Alpha Precision, had a Shilen 6" barrel fitted with a long steel ejector and custom front sight. I rigged a trigger stop and it's a shooter.

Target at 25 yds. over a bag with 255 gr. SWC and 18.5 gr. H4227.

IMHO, this is the highest and best use for a SBH .44 Mag... cool

Third photo, Penn Bullets 270 gr. Thunderheads. Check that meplat. Bad medicine for hogs. .44 Mag can't do that... frown

I think a stong, accurate .45 Colt will outperform a .44 Rem Mag. I know you can go with heavy .44 bullets, etc. Just saying... grin

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Esox357
I'm looking at purchasing one of these and reloading for it. Any negatives on this gun? I don't care for the plastic grips and wondered if I could find the wood grips on the older models to replace them or another aftermarket grip? Other than that just wanted feedback on those who own them and which caliber would be ideal. Mostly a plinking gun and probably some field use? Thanks.

Wood grips off an older model will fit. I hate the plastic grips too. I've owned/owned a bunch of both and I prefer the .44 Magnum. You don't need a Bisley. Recoil is the same and they are hideous. You can see my New Model with older grips in the picture.
[Linked Image]

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beautiful guns there swampman.....is that bottom one a 7&1/2in????

If so, it looks identical to mine smile

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Swampman700 - no, not right.

The newest blued Blackhawks (and Single Sixes) with the hammer lock have the "locating" pin in a slightly different location in the grip frame. The old Blackhawk/Single Six grips won't fit. Been there tried that. frown

So far as I can tell, the stainless guns and the Super Blackhawks haven't been changed ... yet.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Both of mine have front sights tall enough to accomodate my loads with 280 and 300gr bullets at 1000fps, at 50 yards. The rear sights are in the mid-range of their travel when sighted in.

What barrel length? When were they built? Blued or stainless?

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

However, I haven't seen a blued, 4-5/8" barreled .45 blackhawk with a tall enough front sight in about 2 years. If you go that route, expect some down time to send it back to the factory.

Or send it out to a custom pistol smith and replace the factory front sight with a custom one with pinned blades so you can swap them out as you change loads. This is the way I am heading with my next 5 1/2 inch SS blackhawk. The above mentioned Jim Stroh would be high on the list of smiths for the work, as would John Gallagher and David Clements.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by fyshbum

Or send it out to a custom pistol smith and replace the factory front sight with a custom one with pinned blades so you can swap them out as you change loads. This is the way I am heading with my next 5 1/2 inch SS blackhawk. The above mentioned Jim Stroh would be high on the list of smiths for the work, as would John Gallagher and David Clements.

No need fysh, the stainless BHs come with a blued blade pinned into the base.

Pete

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
That's true if you want the heavier SS gun instead of a blued gun. The SS Blackhawks have a steel grip frame and weigh 6-8 ounces more than their blued counterparts.

Also, if you check Ruger's web site, the SS Blackhawk is no longer listed in .45 Colt.

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's true if you want the heavier SS gun instead of a blued gun. The SS Blackhawks have a steel grip frame and weigh 6-8 ounces more than their blued counterparts.

Also, if you check Ruger's web site, the SS Blackhawk is no longer listed in .45 Colt.

An unfortunate oversite!!! Hopefully they get back to making them, the used SS blackhawk .45's are creeping up in price. I spend too much time in or near water and the salty coast to go blued. Thought about the Lipsey's flattop frame, but wanted to be able to load up a litte if needed. But that is a good compromise for the weight issue.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Oregon45

What barrel length? When were they built? Blued or stainless?

Both blued and stainless, both Flattops. Blued 5.5" and stainless 4 5/8". Both built in 2011.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Flat top is a different beast from a regular Blackhawk.

Interesting. What's the pressure limit on the flat top? Will they handle the 30,000 PSI loads for a std Blackhawk or old Vaquero? Are they limited to Colt SAA loads? Or somewhere in between?

How fast can you run that 280?

Tom

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is a 7 1/2". Ruger makes wood grips that will fit the newer models with the lock. I forgot about that stupid thing. An older pair of grips could be made to work but it will take a little tinkering.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Flat top is a different beast from a regular Blackhawk.

Interesting. What's the pressure limit on the flat top? Will they handle the 30,000 PSI loads for a std Blackhawk or old Vaquero? Are they limited to Colt SAA loads? Or somewhere in between?

How fast can you run that 280?

Tom

Check out Brian Pearce's article in "Handloader" No. 275 on the pressure levels for the Flattop. I use Pearce's load of 10gr Alliant Power Pistol for 1050fps. The Flattops are not meant for the 30k psi loads of for the standard Blackhawk. I've got a 45 Colt Blackhawk as well, for that purpose. An Accusport stainless Bisley model I bought new in 2005. It's front sight is high enough to accomodate hot 300gr loads at 50 yards.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I hate to derail a thread a bit, but seems like an appropriate question based where the thread has ended up. I have a 50th Anniversary Ruger Blackhawk (Flat top) in 44M with 6.5� barrel. Is this limited in load? This is the only firearm related site I can get to while at work, so that�s why I ask here.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
No prob shooting .44 mag ammo in the .44 mag flat-top. That's a different frame yet.

We're talking about shooting beyond-factory .44 special and .45 colt loads in the lighter framed flat-tops which are essentially .357 frames vs Blackhawks that are essentially .44 magnum frames. Its important not to confuse the two.

Tom

Here be dragons ...
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks, I read flat top and went, hmmm. Didn't realize you guys meant the .357 frame.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Ruger isn't going to sell something incapable of handling the factory loads as marked on the frame. You've got nothing to worry about.

The SS .45 flat-top is pretty interesting to me listed at 36 ounces but I'm not sure I can get quite the velocity I want and stay within its pressure limits. Also not sure any of our clown gun dealers in the area will special order.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I have a three screw SBH that was a .44 Rem Mag, is now a .45 Colt. It was line bored by Jim Stroh at Alpha Precision, had a Shilen 6" barrel fitted with a long steel ejector and custom front sight. I rigged a trigger stop and it's a shooter.

Target at 25 yds. over a bag with 255 gr. SWC and 18.5 gr. H4227.

IMHO, this is the highest and best use for a SBH .44 Mag... cool

Third photo, Penn Bullets 270 gr. Thunderheads. Check that meplat. Bad medicine for hogs. .44 Mag can't do that... frown

I think a stong, accurate .45 Colt will outperform a .44 Rem Mag. I know you can go with heavy .44 bullets, etc. Just saying... grin

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've often wondered why the SBH was never offered from the factory in .45 Colt. It seems like it would be a perfect fit. Never thought about having one converted. It's a great idea. I presume it'll handle 30,000psi loads the same as the Blackhawk will.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 153, 67 invisible), 2,342 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,536
Posts18,472,786
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.