Page 5 of 2,579 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 2578 2579
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...but its such a chore to form brass.{insert eyeroll} grin
Forming with some cheap 55gr
[Linked Image]
Running 75 AMAXs
[Linked Image]

Even a kid can do it. Of course she is a whopping four years old...
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by greydog
The REAL difference is on the order of ten to fifteen fps; tops. Keep in mind, the only valid comparison is to load the two cartridges to the same pressure in the same barrel. This does not mean the same pressure in a similar barrel or a similar pressure using different components in a longer barrel. It also doesn't mean comparing a maximum load in the AI to a factory load in the standard chambering. These are all favorite techniques of AI advocates. GD

Complete nonsense.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 338Federal
So, nobody has yet given their actual measured increase in fps. Lotsa talk about pressure, bbl length, strain guage, non-stretch brass, etc. I'm just curious how much faster, measured, the AI really is.

Barrels aren't all the same and velocity can differ quite a bit with the same load. I haven't rechambered a .223 to AI and checked velocity increase.

Some accuracy loads with standard .223.....14 twist 26" Shilen, 50's at 3640 and 40's at 4010. A 12" twist H-S, same reamer, gives identical velocity. A 20" .223 with very tight chamber, working load is a 403895. IMI brass, AA2015 or VV133.

A 14twist .223AI.....load is 50's at 3825, 40's accuracy from 3950 to almost 4200. Depending on powder and bullet. IMI brass, AA2015 and VV133.

Increase is 150-200 fps. with lighter bullets. It's not just because of powder increase, which isn't huge, I believe it's also case shape. With a standard case best accuracy is usually when you back off some. The AI case with 40* shoulder and less taper likes to be accurate with top end loads. The accuracy window seems to be larger too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can the steel case, throwaway stuff by Wolf be fired safely in an AI chamber?
Another question here, is my 7TCU considered as Improved with straight walls and sharp shoulders?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seafire, there has been alot of name changing going on here with members.
Curious if you changed to Seafire from JEFF-O. Lots of similar writing styles, whining and stomping of foot.
Anyway, always enjoy your laughs.
Take care.

By the way, just wanted you to know you are welcome for dinner anytime.........
It's at 243wssm's house.
Re-take care.

Have Dog

Will Travel

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You're serious.....? Cheap throwaway once fired - steel - cases...... I sure's h#ll wouldn't use it. Wouldn't even bother picking it up.

"Improved" cartridges can be made by firing factory ammunition. If something has to be done to the case first..... necked up or down or whatever, it's a wildcat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by stillbeeman
It means there are folks that believe that if you increase your powder capacity by 1% thru some alchemy you will increase your velocity by upwards of 25%. Just writing "AI" on the side of the case will turn it into a laser death ray good out to several hundred yards.

And that idiots will still rant about which they don't understand.

That is funny!

Some people believe not having to trim brass is the advantage of that particular design!

Mike

All of this hilarity about velocity!!!

We can all agree Larry has been the fire leader on this particular cartridge..y'all back up and watch this...

Mike:
Larry did you ever really go AI for velocitys sake?

Now let me put on my magic genie boggin on my numbskull!!grin

Larry:
Why No Mike I did it so I didn't have to !@#$% trim brass after every 2 firings! If I wanted more speed I would just bought an 8 twist .22-250 regular or AI and and been done with it! It ain't that complicated.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now this was all from my own imagination but I can read and understand and after reading thread after thread ad nauseum is ain't hard to decipher the benefits!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry, Akcman. Didn't state myself clearly. I wasn't concerned about saving or re-using the steel cases. Was just curious if an AI owner could just blaze away with the cheap factory stuff if he wanted, or needed, to. Would a steel case fireform? Separate? I know the stuff can't be reloaded. Wouldn't consider it.
So AI'd ctgs are not considered wildcats?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wageslave
Seafire, there has been alot of name changing going on here with members.
Curious if you changed to Seafire from JEFF-O. Lots of similar writing styles, whining and stomping of foot.

Bastid <g>. I don't whine or stomp my foot. Anymore. whistle

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm not sure what AI means..... but I am sure that once you type "AI".... you also have to start using the word "boolits" when referencing a projectile fired from said chambering.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
223AI means you're really into guns.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by greydog
The question was asked, what is the velocity difference between the standard and the AI in the 223. To this point, no one, including myself, has answered the question with anything more than conjecture (myself) or bombastic BS (boxer).
I call my own statement conjecture because I have not actually taken the time nor expended the effort to perform a legitimate scientific test with the 223 AI. I have done so with other "improved" cartridges but not the 223. I will, in the near future, rectify this.
I refer to Boxer's statements as BS because they seem to be exactly that.
My intial plan was to simply work up to maximum in my 223 then rechamber and check the increase. There are a couple of problems with this. The first problem is that I hate to wreck a perfectly good 223 barrel so I don't really want to rechamber my 223. I have a few old take-off barrels but they are short BR barrels and I figure we should use at least a 24 inch barrel.
There are options but I don't want to spend a whole bunch of money on this project. Also, my spare time is in short supply so this will probably take a few weeks. GD

dumbdog,

I stated plainly,that you are well beyond [bleep] clueless and there was/is no need for you to perpetually reiterate that obvious. Also mentioned plainly,that the only thing you shoot is your [bleep] mouth and Imagination...and you felt compelled to reiterate that as well?!!? Everyone gets it,that you've nary a first [bleep] clue about anything and it is rather poignant,that only you are in the dark,regarding that constant. Bless your heart.

Here's hoping your Imagination continues to grant you enough Pretend,that you feel emboldened to again comment in it's regard. You Do-Nothing Dumbphucks are boundless in your inherent dumbphucktitude.

Wow +P+!

Shefire,

Always a treat for you to regale me in all the things you almost did,with all the wares you almost had and from all the places you've almost been to.

THAT is enterphuckingtainment.

Congratulations?!!?

'CUBIC,

Were I to go 22-250/22-250AI,it'd certainly be on a '10...but a 22BR on a '15 at 2.420" with 75'Max,do sorta intrigue. Would of course much prefer a 223AI at 2.420" with the 75'Max,but do not have any of the billet mags in hand,to get a feel for cartridge ride height and literal flexibility of the lips,as per that application. They quoted me 100 clams per pop on the mags.

They also cited a 1-8" 22-250 being a future option,but at that COAL it is moot to me,though I dig increased rotational velocity for Goo Flingin'.

Pretty [bleep] amazing to me,that twist rate,COAL and throating escape so many Manufacturers and Consumers.

'215,

I'm buckling to the peer pressure...perhaps this 223AI Frenzy IS founded?!!?

DF,

The first poke upon any hull,whether it the Virgin Maiden Voyage or initial run into a different chamber,is in fact a fireform poke. For some reason "fireforming" spooks folks,despite their doing it obliviously.

Funny how that ball bounces.

'powell,

Everyone who visits,builds rifles immediately after the fact. Curiously enough,none of 'em is slow twisted and the vast majority is Improved,with the 22K-Hornet,223AI,22-250AI,243AI,25-06AI,280AI and 375H&H AI being mainstays(the 7-08,7WSM and 338Ultra being the usual "suspects" to stay SAAMI,with the 284Win based spawn being Improved outta the gate).

As per always,results in the firsthand is tough to refute.(grin)

'MAGNUM,

I nearly ordered a T-hole today,but went Sako Hunter instead,if only to stay the handier/dandier theme.

Funny how a 4yr old is far more eager to make empties,than supposedly grown men.

Funnier yet,how Reality smashes Imagination.

'slave,

Simply remove the hook from her yap and punt her back in the drink.

Repeat as per whim.(grin)

Rabid,

I learned a coupla hundred barrels ago,that sizing dies play the greatest role in "stretch"...but of course not all case designs is equal,even when talking .003" expanderless constriction. As per the 223AI in particular,I form,size the formed hull and trim for the first and only time,as per the life of said lot. OneShot works wonders too,as do the savvy in how to set up a sizer in the first place.

Granted,it do not suck,that the formed cases very much haul ass and that too,just may offer some appeal.(grin) I've lotsa 22-250/22-250AI's,Swifts,etc. and very much prefer the 223AI by light years,as per a Utility Chambering.

'Course it wrinkles alotta Paper Hats,that I'm afforded the luxury of not being forced to guess...though I must say the guessing which is currently in vogue,do assuredly crack me the [bleep] up! Looking forward to some chronograph "readings" on all those Imaginations.

The whining is Epic as of late and for outright belly laughs,the Do-Nothing Gang is impossible to trump.

'shooter,

Imitation is THE most sincere form of flattery and it is perpetually cast my way.

Them aspirations though wellfounded,is miles shy of the mark...but the attempts is [bleep] hilarious.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 7TC/U is a wildcat that needs upsizing a 223 neck to 7mm and then fire forming. It is a very accurate round in my 10" Contender in both 120 and 140 gr loadings. Case life is amazingly long. There is the short neck on the brass but it holds the bullets true.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
thought you'd like that... 'course.... I'll never use that word... purely out of respect... laffin'

picked up about 100fps over my RE17 load in the .243 running 7828... hint smile

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
We are well under way. I found, under my bench, an old Remington 700 barrel, in good condition, chamber for the 222 Remington Mag. I'll set that back and chamber it for the 223. I would chronograph it first in 222 Mag but the only brass I have is some 6x47 Federal Match which I don't want to waste. Besides, the performance of the 222 Mag wasn't part of the question. I don't have any 40 grain bullets (or "boolits" for the phonetically challenged)so I'll have to buy a box since they seem to be the popular number for use in the AI.
So here is how the test will work: I will chamber for the standard 223 and will load with a powder which requires near 100% loading density. I'll gauge pressure by miking the solid head of the case. I think everyone can agree that, once the solid head shows any expansion, it is safe to say the maximum has been reached. In fact, it can be said that the pressure is slightly excessive if primer pockets become loose with repeated reloading. After establishing and chronographing the top load, I will load and fire one case 10 times to measure case stretching. I'll do this with the 40 grain bullets. I will also work up a load of similar pressure using a 52 grain bullet for those who might be interested. I will not work up a heavy bullet load since this barrel won't stablize it anyway.
I will also work up a load using a powder which will not quite reach max pressures even when solidly compressed. This will produce the situation where the AI is most likely to shine.
After this is done, I'll rechamber to 223 AI and do it over again. The barrel will be set back approx 1/4 turn (.016") so the barrel will be that much shorter. This may reduce velocities by as much as .75 (75/100ths)fps.
As I said, this will take some time. I have other rifles to finish and test as well. GD

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Shefire,

Always a treat for you to regale me in all the things you almost did,with all the wares you almost had and from all the places you've almost been to.

Congratulations?!!?

Awwww Come ON Schtick....

you can be more original than that...

I mean you try to insult everyone with the 'all the things you ALMOST DID...and all the stuck they ALMOST HAD"

you're slipping...

your groupies are going to be so disappointed...

oh by the way...

you still haven't answered the questions of

1. your military service... I've got $10 riding on you, saying you were a military vet...a Seal or something...

2. What time is it? wanna see if you'll show us pictures of all your watches, and tell us how you invented time in your spare time etc etc etc...without telling us the time...

so buck up.. its your moment of glory...

we don't want to disappoint your groupies..do we...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"'215,

I'm buckling to the peer pressure...perhaps this 223AI Frenzy IS founded?!!? "

Looks like founded and grounded, at least!

Roll on, man!

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Seafire
Shefire,

Congratulations?!!?

Awwww Come ON Schtick....

you can be more original than that...

I mean you try to insult everyone with the 'all the things you ALMOST DID...and all the stuck they ALMOST HAD"

you're slipping...

your groupies are going to be so disappointed...

oh by the way...

you still haven't answered the questions of

1. your military service... I've got $10 riding on you, saying you were a military vet...a Seal or something...

2. What time is it? wanna see if you'll show us pictures of all your watches, and tell us how you invented time in your spare time etc etc etc...without telling us the time...

so buck up.. its your moment of glory...

we don't want to disappoint your groupies..do we...

I notice the way Stick gets the most mileage out of his "one post", not too unlike Barney Fife's "one bullet".

He covers a bunch of ground, addressing each poster individually, all under one heading.

I get a kick out of his posts and he does impart information, although without much social grace or finesse... shocked

He knows just how to provoke a bunch of folks, and of course, that's entertainment in its own right... smile

DF

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It looks like the man prizes efficiency...

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 5 of 2,579 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 2578 2579

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (01Foreman400, 1minute, 007FJ, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,710
Posts18,513,987
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.