-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Doesn't look like anything my Great grand dad ever raised as a hog farmer. Amazing how loosely the article uses the word Farmer, when it should say game ranch operator.

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
This all sounds raciest to me.
Just because they are not pretty like their kin,they want to do away with them.
Them be getto pigs.:)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This is what feral hogs do to pastureland, I saw it down at Boggy's and a number of other places. Real fun riding in a pickup across this stuff.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, that is what the daughters looked like til I started killin' every one I saw. They are rare on her little patch now days but we are ever vigilant.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
lot's of invasive species out there, and pigs are only one of them.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My dad owned Renegade Ranch in the 90's. I think its safe to say that he got out at a good time.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
I tried to read the website. Something ain't kosher about this pig deal as reported there.
It ain't "kosher"? bwaaaaa

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dont get me wrong, I havent got a dime in this either way.

Both sides are telling, 'what they want you to hear'.

Its just that there have been a lot of 'mistakes' told about hogs going wild and turning feral in just a short time. It just doesnt happen. I didnt say a wild hog was tame, they can be mean, and they will hurt you. I've been treed a few times!

When wild hogs turn feral in a few generations, its because of crossbreeding.

I'm thru!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No love for pigs, I guess. And, yes I know that they are destructive.

But just speaking of invasive species, it's apparently all relative with the Feds. If those were feral horses, they'd round them up and doctor them for generations to come to be a tax burden on us and our kids forever.

Steve

P
PWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have to side with the farmers on this issue. DNR has no business killing these "bad" pigs in enclosures. Make marking a requirement. Punish those who release hogs or allow hogs to escape. Feral pigs are a problem that is not easily solved as farmers in Texas and Oklahoma know. However, to permit this kind of deprivation without due process is a blatant violation of the Bill of Rights in my opinion and lets big government havbe one more toe hold in our lives.

Even if you are against game farms, this issue has greater importance to all of us. Would you withhold a garden hose from a neighbor if his house was burning down simply because his wife was the neighborhood gossip?

Perry

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steven_CO

But just speaking of invasive species, it's apparently all relative with the Feds. If those were feral horses, they'd round them up and doctor them for generations to come to be a tax burden on us and our kids forever.

Pigs are not charismatic mega fauna or else there would be tax exempt law firms protecting them on one hand with donations and living off the fat of the land with the other hand that was billing the Guvment for their precious legal minds time and energy.

Another strange thing is how som many people are for the constitution being violated because it creates hunting opportunities ( they are classic Rent Seekers in the economic sense) yet they don't want the increased hunting opportunities of feral hogs and fail to question why the DNR didn't conduct their raids lawfully.

A lack of a clear philosophy leads to paradoxical decision making.

If the DNR's position is legitimate, they should act within the law.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
Originally Posted by Steven_CO

Pigs are not charismatic mega fauna or else there would be tax exempt law firms protecting them on one hand with donations and living off the fat of the land with the other hand that was billing the Guvment for their precious legal minds time and energy.

Another strange thing is how som many people are for the constitution being violated because it creates hunting opportunities ( they are classic Rent Seekers in the economic sense) yet they don't want the increased hunting opportunities of feral hogs and fail to question why the DNR didn't conduct their raids lawfully.

A lack of a clear philosophy leads to paradoxical decision making.If the DNR's position is legitimate, they should act within the law.

the problem is made more critical because there are so many competng philosophies.

wildhogs have become "distributed" throughout the major drainages of Ga, by a variety of means, legal & illegal. Other states have the same issues.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Who wouldn't love a pig?

Bacon, ham, tenderloin, BBQ, pig feet, sausage, jowls,and all in one critter.

"From the rooter to the tooter it's all pork."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oldmanms2003
Has anyone here, caught a razorback hog, put it in a pen, and domesticated it?

Until you've tried, trust me, there is a lot of BS being slung, on both sides of this issue.

They are an intelligent and adaptable species undergoing rapid evolution in a new environment (North America)...scary to think what they will become in a few thousand years

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Apparently Michigan has outlawed possession of feral hogs. The guys raising them have renamed them "Heritage" hogs.

In Georgia they called those Piney Woods Rooters.

Quite a bit different than the meat hogs grown for meat.

The major difference between belief and fact is those who believe something have come to a conclusion no facts will contradict. Well informed people are open to new facts that oppose their beliefs. That also defines an open and closed mind.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Sagebrusher
They are an intelligent and adaptable species undergoing rapid evolution in a new environment (North America)...scary to think what they will become in a few thousand years

I'm thinking they will just be pigs...only older.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
We need the facts and there seem to be few to none available. Were these penned hogs or simply free roaming pigs that would escape and disperse?

OkieDokie
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stray round

true pigs have been around 20 some million years.....few more thousand years isnt gonna change much of anything, they will still look like the pigs we know....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by stray round

true pigs have been around 20 some million years.....few more thousand years isnt gonna change much of anything, they will still look like the pigs we know....

true enough. there's many varieties of hogs, dogs, chickens, etc. at their root, each one has the basic provisions of their particular species.

a pig by any other name is still a pig.

we don't even have a commercial/industrial pig processing plant left in our state. we do have a few folks who process animals under strict State guidelines administered/licensed by the Ag Dept.

the Ratites were an interesting example of attemtping to bring in an exotic species for fun, food, and profit. grin

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Per Mi DNR 41 hog killed in 2011 in the whole state! Were over run with pig here!! Clint

just for Fun
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (01Foreman400, 2003and2013, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,465
Posts18,489,854
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.