Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#6401551 - 04/13/12 05:16 AM Re: USFA Single Actions [Re: Killertraylor]
maarty Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: New Zealand
Please help me out here, are the Turnbull USFA pistols a standard factory model or are they standard models that you have sent to Turnbull to be worked on privately, I guess what I'm asking is can I call up USFA and ask for a Turnbull edition?
If not then why is it that they are being compared to standard model Colts?
I mean I could take a Uberti and send it to Turnbulls to be worked on and then claim it was better than a factory Colt or a factory USFA, but only because I'd sunk a big wad of cash into it after buying it.

CI16728
#6402731 - 04/13/12 10:53 AM Re: USFA Single Actions [Re: maarty]
Just a Hunter Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: MT
I haven't looked on either site for a couple months, but if you want something done by Turnbull you need to contact his company.

#6402905 - 04/13/12 11:51 AM Re: USFA Single Actions [Re: Killertraylor]
Dirtfarmer Online   content
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Central Louisiana
Originally Posted By: Killertraylor
Dirtfarmer - beautiful Colts you have there! I've only got 1 of the recent 3rd Gen Colt SAA's, but have 4 USFA's. The USFA's seem to be tighter and closer to the Freedom Arms in terms of craftsmanship. The Colt I have is no slouch though and has a little smoother action. All are amazing shooters. I'd wager my USFA Turnbull editions go up in value more than the 3rd Gen. Colts, but only time will tell!

You could be right, although it would depend on how many they produce and how well they're received.

If you are right, it will mean a new direction in the historical trend regarding Colt branded guns and appreciation over time.

Only time will tell. In the mean time, the safe play and prevailing advice would be, stick with the ponies.

DF

#6404929 - 04/14/12 01:04 AM Re: USFA Single Actions [Re: Just a Hunter]
maarty Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: New Zealand
Originally Posted By: Just a Hunter
I haven't looked on either site for a couple months, but if you want something done by Turnbull you need to contact his company.

That's what I thought, so comparing a USFA SAA worked by Turnbull to a stock factory Colt is apples and oranges.

#6406004 - 04/14/12 11:36 AM Re: USFA Single Actions [Re: maarty]
Dirtfarmer Online   content
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Central Louisiana
Originally Posted By: maarty
Originally Posted By: Just a Hunter

That's what I thought, so comparing a USFA SAA worked by Turnbull to a stock factory Colt is apples and oranges.

Factory vs. custom.

For my taste, I like the latest Gen. 3 case colors better than Turnbull's. Colt's colors are more subtle, Turnbull's much brighter. His stuff is pretty and all that is a matter of what pleases the eye.

Some of the earlier 3rd. Gen Colts were too dull and gray.

DF

#6417277 - 04/17/12 09:50 PM Re: USFA Single Actions [Re: Dirtfarmer]
Killertraylor Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Warren, OR
Pretty sure you're both wrong. I believe USFA sent a select number of their guns to Turnbull for a limited edition run. The serial numbers start with DT for "Doug Turnbull". I've got a pair of them, and have seen about 6 or 8 others for sale at various places, some with engraving on the cylinders, some without. When I get a little spare time, I'll take some pics and post them next to my 3rd gen. Colt for comparison.

Edited by Killertraylor (04/17/12 09:51 PM)

#6426003 - 04/20/12 10:05 AM Re: USFA Single Actions [Re: Killertraylor]
Mauser_Hunter Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Colorado
It comes down to what you want. A Colt, or a copy.

#6427332 - 04/20/12 05:32 PM Re: USFA Single Actions [Re: Mauser_Hunter]
T LEE Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Punta Gorda, FL
Yep, there it is!

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian.

George Orwell was a PROPHET, not a novelist!!!

Old cat turd!

#6616291 - 06/22/12 10:20 AM Re: USFA Single Actions [Re: Killertraylor]
Fairshake Offline

Dirtfarmer, You are a fellow Louisiana man so I'll be nice. I'm a former firearms instructor and armorer for the EBRSO and worked at the BRCP range.
I attended about 4 S&W schools, Sig, Ruger, Remington and so on.
The owner of USFA did this country a huge favor by making the USFA revolvers.
First, I have to clear up one thing and that is the fact that the so called bead blasted guns are named Rodeo's and they are the very same gun that the Preminums are.
The difference is that the Rodeo's receive a flat Matte finish so the cost will be lower than the very fine Case work that is done by Doug Turnbull on all the Preminum guns.
I have purchased both guns in sets from Jim Finch AKA Long Hunter about 4 years back. The internal parts and the fitting received is the exact same for both with the external finish being the only difference.
Before Jim Connelly started making the USFA Revolvers,the work done by COLT had become a thing of shame and was terrible.
When the USFA guns started outselling Colt they got off their butts and upped the quality to a point that it had been in the past. There was another maker in town that had to be dealt with.
Now for the tragic news of this posting.
The owner of USFA has decided to go in another direction and make medical equipment. That is why you can't find any new USFA guns. The dealers had months or years of orders and he said his sales were flat. The reason for the flat sales is because he would stop the line from making the bread and butter guns and have them make such bull as the multi colored teflon finished revolvers or the new 45.
He is a millonaire from birth and has never done anything but play with ideas and it does not matter if he ever sells another gun.
Long Hunter Supply became so upset that he quit taking orders for the gun. The ones that are out there are it for now unless he changes his mind again. I for one would buy another set tomorrow. Later Fairshake

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
HUNT with JJHACK!  CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO!
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
533 registered (257heaven, 101857, 1OntarioJim, 175rltw, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 1231 Guests and 301 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
50846 Members
72 Forums
642691 Topics
9230433 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.