Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I had 2 or 3 in the Interarms flavor and one of the Zastava M70's in 30-06. The M70 came with double set triggers. It was a very good rifle and would predictably shoot under 1" with 165s. The Interarms rifles were also good shooters. In my limited experience they're a good buy for the dollars. I haven't had/shot the 7.62 but I think they were all built on the Mini-Mauser action.

d.

Last edited by OldRooster; 04/23/12.
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by dclayton
I was just thinking about starting a thread on this subject when I noticed this one.

I just saw on grabagun.com that the Zastava 98s (listed as by Arsenal, Inc.) are for sale for $483. IMHO, that's a great deal for such a good rifle with a classic action, brand new, with a wood stock AND iron sights--which are hard to find on anything that isn't "safari" grade (and price) these days:

http://grabagun.com/arsenal-inc-zastava-m70-30-06-24-bl-wd.html

They have them in 243Win, 270WIn, 308Win, 30-06, as well as 22LR, 7.62x39, and a few others. The big game calibers are only with slightly hogback buttstock shape (like the CZ "battue" style), though. It looks as though the smaller calibers (at least per the pics) have the classic stock profile. In any case, it seems like a great deal to me!

YES!!! That was where I found some. I also was reading your thread and I want to PM you on your calling!

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
OK...excuse the ignorance, but what are the differing factors on a true Mauser action and the so called mini Mauser action?

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Do you guys know what one of the 7.62X39 Zastava's from grabagun would weigh? It might be a decent short range kid gun if it is built on the mini-mauser frame and isn't too heavy.

I have heard great reports of accuracy from the Zastava 22 rim fires.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yeah, I thought that might be where you saw them--they're not on most of the online gun stores. And feel free to PM me about the other thread, or about anything else that you'd like to! smile

Regarding the difference with the small ring mausers: I know (obviously) that they have a slightly smaller ring (Here is a Mauser nut website with various info: http://www.mausercentral.com/rings.htm) And there was also a thread a couple years ago here at 24HCF where this came up some:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4689263/Re_light_weight_mausers

But I'm sure there are much more knowledgeable people who can chime in about that...

I'm not sure what the weight difference would be on the 7.62x39 vs. the .30-06 (minimal, I would think), but I have the latter in an Interarms Mark X which is the same action in a slightly different stock, and it's just about 7 lbs. In another life it was the Remington 798, and that was listed as weighing 7 lbs even (with a composite stock):
http://www.rifleshootermag.com/2010/09/23/featured_rifles_rem798_091406/

See that thread (above) from here at the 'fire for a discussion on how light you can get these rifles. (it get's a bit off topic at points, though, so be forewarned! smile)

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us." Jn 1:14

"The expense is reckoned, the enterprise is begun; it is of God; it cannot be withstood. So the faith was planted: So it must be restored." -St. Edmund Campion (+1581)
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
UPDATE::: I will let you folks know how the ARSENAL, Inc. Mini MAuser in 7.62x39 turns out...when it arrives!

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Please do that.I would love to know what it weighs and how it shoots with some factory loads.Also interested in how high scope needs to be for bolt clearence and mounting options.

Good luck,I hope you like it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In just a few days there will be a pile of them with left hand actions hitting our shores, both full size and the Mini-Mauser, in all sorts of calibers from .223 to .458 win. Mag. There was a group buy back in February and the importer is saying that they should be here by the end of April, so look for reports on them in the next few weeks.

Getting a 7X57 and a .223 myself, which reminds me I better get some scope mount bases PDQ.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
A group buy through which importer may I ask? It sounds interesting.

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by fatjack34
OK...excuse the ignorance, but what are the differing factors on a true Mauser action and the so called mini Mauser action?

The main difference is that the "mini mauser" doesn't have a full length extractor and doesn't have the bolt face opened up for controlled-round feed. It is dual, front locking, push feed system. It still has a mauser-type blade ejector and split left lug. It is essentailly a Sako L46 clone.

The real "mini mauser" is the CZ 527 action (and older Brno ancestors), in that it retains the full length extractor, and CRF. Although it is hard to give a reason why you would want CRF on a mini cartridge - it isn't like we are talking about a DGR! Nevertheless, the is one of the reasons why i rather the CZ action to the Zastava, and one of the reasons why the CZ is considerably more expensive to make, and buy. I like the smoothness and feed reliablity that the combination of midline feed with CRF in the CZ provides. The CZ also has a little bolt support on the tang on the right hand side that prevents the "mauser wobble" and prevents bolt binding - a nice touch. The CZ has larger lugs, too. Lastly, the CZ is quite a bit lighter (and hence is often actually referred to as the "micro mauser") and is made with CrMo steel, whereas i think the Zastavas are made with a manganese alloy reciever and chrome vanadium steel barrel. I think the CZ is a forged reciever and cast bolt, the Zastava has a forged bolt.

As you may have guessed, i am a huge fan of the little CZ 527 action! But they are much more expensive than the Zastava. In Australia, we can also buy the Zastava actions and barreled actions. I wish CZ would do the same, as do a lot of folks. They would be the perfect subject for a PPC or Grendel project.

The other really good buy in the new "mini action" market are the Sabatti 600-class actions from Italy. These are a midline, push feed, dual lugged front locking system which i think were based on either one of the early Sakos or Tikkas. In fact, i heard rumours they bought the old machinery straight off the Finns.

Last edited by dhg; 04/23/12.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
IC B3

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I should mention that the other offering from Zastava that gets overlooked for their bigger mauser actions is their rimfires, which are somewhat confusingly called CZ99. The Zastava rimfires are excellent little rifles and probably one of the great sleepers out there on the firearms market. Triggers aren't great, but otherwise an excellent little rimfire.

Reading back thru the thread, i think you could get a somewhat biased opinion of the accuracy of the Zastava mausers. They are certainly capable of fine accuracy, but most will require a little work to get them to reliable sub-MOA levels of accuracy. You wouldn't buy one if accuracy was your primary concern, but they can certainly be made to shoot very accurately with a minimum of fuss - as can just about well-made rifle. But if you were going to have an out-of-the-box accuracy competition, i am quite confident Zastava wouldn't win any prizes. At the same time, i have also seem extremely accurate and competitive benchrest rifles built on Zastava actions.

Last edited by dhg; 04/23/12.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't know about others but, my 799's have steel receivers, not a magnesium alloy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Elliot Milmeister
K-VAR Sales Rep
4001 S. Decatur BLVD. #37383
Las Vegas, NV 89103

Office: 702-364-8880 ext 1
Cell: 775-720-0281
Fax: 702-307-2303
Webpage: http://www.k-var.com

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Manganese steel or low-alloy carbon steel like many older mauser actions, not magnesium alloy. I used the term to differentiate from the CrMo steels most modern "blued" rifles use.

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Melvin24
Anyone have any reports on any of these? Don't care who was importing like Charles Daly, or Remington or Mark X ...just curious about how they shoot. Looking at one in 7.62x39...

Thanks!

Fine rifles for the money$, although a tad rough.....

Not a lightweight rifle!, but that is personal preference.....

My 9.3 shot pretty well!

I would not buy another due to the weight but like I said. Personal preference wink

Action weight is just under the 3lb mark, so they are about half a pound heavier than a M700. They are heavier than most more modern actions but lighter than a pre-64 M70 or a Weatherby Mark V. In the (admittedly pretty crappy) polymer stock, they are only around the 6.5lb mark. The "mini-mauser"/M85 is around the 6lb mark in walnut.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For the coin, the LMK70 is a great buy - once you iron out the bugs. Mine had a timber stock which I bedded tthe action and free floated the barrel. The timber got some more oil and it didnt end up half bad (the factory checkering is atrocious though). I yanked off the iron sights and at least it looks a bit more interesting now

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gus

Last edited by Gus_K; 04/24/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got a 93.x62mm coming via the group buy. Can't wait to see what the 'lumber' looks like on it. The Zastava web site shows a nice dark piece of walnut (possibly Turkish), but other pics I've seen, show the wood as rather bland and birch-like - not much to write home about.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anyone have any reports on any of these? Don't care who was importing like Charles Daly, or Remington or Mark X ...just curious about how they shoot. Looking at one in 7.62x39...

Thanks!

The 7.62x39 is the smaller action, IIRC. (799 Rem, or mini-mauser as some have alluded to)

VA had one the last I checked. He test fired it out here and it shot really well.

I have one in 222 that I built from white action up.

I won't part with it short of the cold dead fingers philosophy.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by dhg
Manganese steel or low-alloy carbon steel like many older mauser actions, not magnesium alloy. I used the term to differentiate from the CrMo steels most modern "blued" rifles use.

Gotcha' my .223 has a weird finish, the 7.62 is one of the nicest blued rifles I've ever seen,like an old Belgian Browning.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

They just did a group buy awhile back for left-handers. I didn't get in on the buy, but Elliot said they ordered some extras and I put a deposit down on a LH M-70 in .25-06 and a M-85 in .223 Rem.

My next purchase from them is going to be a 6.5x57 or 7x57 Mauser.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 57 invisible), 2,591 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,461
Posts18,471,311
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.