Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm just getting into this and noticed a huge difference in price between the Lee dies and other brands. I've always figured you get what you pay for but for a guy who might do a couple thousand bullets a year, are the Lee's a good option?

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"Are the Aluminum molds ok? "

Tens of thousands of them have been sold to happy casters.

B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
so what's the difference? Do they wear out? Are they not consistent?

For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"Do they wear out?"

I dunno yet. I've had both iron and alum molds for maybe thirty years and neither type has worn out on me. I'm reasonably sure the alum molds will go before the iron ones but for the price difference against how long they last, who cares.

"Are they not consistent?"

It seems they are as consistant as the user allows.

B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thanks boomtube.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got several alumunum made by NEI and they are wonderful.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have both aluminum (Lee) and steel (Lyman) molds. The aluminum ones are mostly for round balls and the steel ones for bigger, BPCR bullets, where I am more concerned about keeping the mold temperature up. Both types do what they are supposed to do for me. As long as you don't mistreat either type, they will last as long as you will wink.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Lee 6 cavity molds are excellent, I have 4 of them plus a Ranch Dog "custom" Lee mold and love them. I've heard that their 1 and 2 cavity molds are nowhere near the same quality but can't say firsthand, I've only read that.

I actually prefer aluminum over iron. Aluminum heats more quickly and a 5 or 6 cavity mold is much lighter than a 4 cavity iron mold and is less fatiguing to work with.

Have had 6 LBT molds, they are aluminum and are the easiest casting molds I've ever owned.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I really enjoy my Lee moulds. If you decide to go with Lee, go ahead and spend a few more dollars for their 6 cavity if available for the bullet style you want. The alignment pins, mould faces, and handles are worlds ahead of the quality you get with their 2 cavity moulds.

And as an added benefit, you really end up with a big pile of bullets in a hurry!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've posted this pic a bunch but don't mind doing it again as these Lee sixers are the only way to go!

[Linked Image]

Thanks to your recommendation WE I sent that double cavity back and there IS a world of diff between the two. wink

Last edited by FlyboyFlem; 04/28/12.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Lee six cavity molds are great - might need a little "leementing" (google it) to run at their best. NEI aluminum molds are also excellent - better finish than the Lees, but those 6 cavity molds run out a ton of boolits FAST! I do have a couple of double cavity molds, and they are also good, but not as well finished as the 6 cav and the alignment pins leave something to be desired.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
NEI current production moulds are a crap shoot and I cannot recommend them in good concious (sp).

I do have several Lee 6 C moulds and they work very well.

I have several NOE (Night Owl Enterprise) moulds also alum but a different type of alum from the Lee kind and they are very good also.

I also have brass and steel moulds.

Treating each mould with a little care, any one of them should last you at least 100,000 bullets cast. smile

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Blammer
It's been a while since I bought anything from NEI. I placed my orders with Walt Melander himself. I've heard that who ever took over is not up to snuff.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I forgot about NOE molds - yep, they're the best aluminum molds I've worked with. The two NEI molds I have are older molds - the 6.5mm 130 gr. RN literally has the boolits jump out of the mold when I open it - easiest casting mold I have.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
the old Walt NEI moulds are a piece of art. I have a few myself and really like them.

I also have a new NEI and it makes a great fishing wt.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm hoping to buy 2-3 6 cavity Lee moulds soon, 1 for .358, 1 for .401 and one for .430.

I'll probably use the .430 the most even though I'm disappointed with their 240gr Swc design-I don't care for the lack of sharp shoulder on the meplat.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have turned buckets of wheel weights and range lead into .358 bullets with single- and double-cavity Lees. I probably should get a six-cavity just so I can compare the quality, but I have never felt wanting with the ones that I have.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The six cavity lees have better alignment between the blocks, the one weekness of the 2 cavity lee is the alignment pins and cavity can get lead in them and then won't line up. Once you use a 6 cavity mold you won't go back.

As far as aluminum for a material, it works fine, it just won't hold up to an abusive caster. I prefer cast iron, but seldom am willing to pay the premium. Brass is the only material I don't l ike as it seems to be the pickiest of being at the right temp, doesn't work well if too cold or too hot.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I use LEE molds as door stops. About the only thing they are good at.

Accurate molds make a very good mold. You get exactly what you spec the mold. I have his alum. an brass molds. I also have some from NOE. They are just as good.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have had mixed results from Lee moulds. It's not the metal they use, but their QC. To my mind, their main advantage is cost- but if you go through a couple of them until you find one that suits you, the cost advantage becomes moot.

I have Al mould blocks from other manufacturers and really like them, but I also really like some of my iron mould blocks too. Heat retention characteristics between the two is different, but not dramatically so. In the end I look at the mould design and how accurately its made rather than what material its made of.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (alffe, 6mmCreedmoor, 375sunrise, 257robertsimp, 15 invisible), 817 guests, and 876 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,909
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.