Originally Posted by simplyme
Cooper
Dakota
Kimber
Montana

Yes!

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll tale a Dakota Model 10 in 257 Roberts.......... grin

Why, it's cool...... cool

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 257Deland
I'll tale a Dakota Model 10 in 257 Roberts.......... grin

Why, it's cool...... cool

[Linked Image]

It's on gunbroker.
About $6,500 more than I want to spend

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
None of the above shocked

A SMLE 303, moderately sporterized mind you, should meet all your needs. grin

Seriously, Blaser smile

Dave

Don't fire unless fired upon. But if they want a war let it begin here.

Captain John Parker, commander of the militiamen at Lexington, Massachusetts, on sighting British Troops (attributed), April 19, 1775
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cooper
Dakota
Kimber
Montana

While I like to look, unless someone else is fotting the bill, NOTA.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Savage.

They are as accurate as the high priced spreads, usually more so.

The parts are seldom needed, but cheap and plentiful. When other brands vanish, Savage parts will still be available.

You can work on it yourself. One hardware store allen wrench set is all that is needed to completely disassemble the entire thing. Twist out the bolt nut and the bolt comes apart by hand. No firing pin removal tool or mainspring compressor needed. Have an extractor break in the field, just swap in a spare bolt head and go, or replace it with nothing more than a pocket knife and thumb. A set of screw drivers and a 1/16" drift pin (to R&R the ejector pin) may be handy too.

Barrels can be swapped at home with simple tools in a matter of moments. Burn one out, order another prefit and you're back in business without a trip to the gunsmith and a long wait.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 05/05/12.
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Kimber Montana or Classic. Mine are perfect. wink

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Were I to buy another big game rifle it would be Sako.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Out of your list, the Kimber is the only one that interests me. I could rock a Kimber Montana easily.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by simplyme
Cooper
Dakota
Kimber
Montana

McMillan
Mauser
Sako
Weatherby

I am American.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You need to add a Browning X-Bolt to that list IMO. Seriously

Taking my rifle for a walk
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Cooper!!

Get involved. The world is run by those who show up!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
This being 24HCF, you obviously need one of each.

FC

This is easily the best answer!!!

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kimber, wood or synthetic. Pick your preference.
Dakota if you can afford one.
Not a Cooper fan at all.

Arcus Venator
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Kimber wood/blue because I have one....shoots 1/2", not bad for the best looking queen in the safe.

My Montanas are Sako Stnlss/Synthetics....no accuracy guesswork there.

Fantasy rifle is the Dakota 10 but refuse to empty the safe to afford one.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Doesn't matter.
If you like to hunt, just about anything will do.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
i have a dakota 76 in 270 and a cooper 54 in 260; checked out kimbers in the process but opted not to buy.

i am more than satisfied w both my dakota and cooper: accurate, fine triggers, classic looks w nice wood, quality fit/finish, great balance and handling, smooth bolts. kimbers felt TOO light, "whippy," and some barrel channels showed poor fitting. dakota has superior 3 position wing safety but is not worth 2-3 coopers by any stretch.

my 2cents: Cooper for sure.

Yesu ai zhongguo
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Cheap and accurate. Heck, I'd even consider a Savage 110 or derivative....even tho I think they are a POS to work on... But if they shoot, I don't need pretty or Jonses.

My Stub (Ruger 77 in '06) cost me $80, purchased badly wet-basement abused, with a bulge in bbl just behind muzzle. It is now a "carbine", with 17 inch bbl and stock slendered down and shortened fore and aft to make it look in balance, "for the wife". Ha! I carry it more than any other bolt-action I have. It's good to 400 yards with known range. I've proved it to 360 on caribou, and made my first kill with it on a ram at @ 330.

Ugly Betty (ugliest factory stock I've ever seen!) is trying to steal my heart away from Stub tho. She was free for a little work exchange on two other guns found together in a wrecked sled outside of Anaktuvik Pass, Alaska by a friend, now deceased. No one ever claimed the found firearms... probably drunked up at the time and too embarassed later is my guess....

UB started life as a Rem 725 SA in .244, but the bore was pitted beyond redemption. Looking for a 7-08 takeoff, I came up with a Rem 700 SS, TI bbl in .260 from David Walther- a poster here. It screwed on perfectly with no chamber work,beyond lapping the lugs, albeit the bbl is exactly upside down. Who cares if the stamping shows? Until recently, it never shot more than adequately - but in bringing it up from my permanent home 600 miles south of here a few weeks ago, I came up short on thrown-together reloads (2 inches at 100), so bought some Rem Corelokts. I've less than 200 rounds (factory and reloads) thru the bbl personally, but it seems to prefer 140's over my preference (for no logical reason)of 120's.

The move/ammo switch required resighting in, of course. Some adjustment needed and I ran out of time that day, but I did drop back for a 3 shot 200 yard group - getting a 1" on bullet centers triangle, 4 inches high and left. I tweaked the scope a bit for horizontal, left the vertical alone, went home and didn't get back to check it until a couple days ago, when I fired at 300 yards, coming up with a 2 shot "group" centered an inch high and 2 inches right with a 7 mph gusty cross-wind from the left using a 30 year old Leupold Vari-XII, 2-7X scope.

The caribou were uncooperative yesterday....

I know when to quit shooting - the secret to bragging groups! smile. I just wish I'd bought 5 boxes instead of two of that lot... Now that I know the gun is willing to shoot - I suppose I'm gonna have to actually develop a load.... Them $35 boxes of factory loads hurt! When you can even find 'em up here. Hence the 2-hot-only group yesterday, the gun shoots consistently if I do my part.

You can buy rifles that shoot as well or better than these two (for a lot more money!). You can't buy these two.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Kimber Montana all day every day and twice on sundays.

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Kimber is the only one of the bunch have expeience with. It is probably the least expensive and lightest. My 308 is almost exactly 6 lbs with scope and mounts. The last 5 groups I've fired at the range averaged slighly under 1/2 MOA. I doubt if the others would do any better.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 16 invisible), 1,722 guests, and 979 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,716
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.