-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like my Bitz too, had it about 15 years. I finally switched to super glues a couple years ago. Wish I had switched sooner.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I've used the same Bitzenberger for 25 years. They allow you to adjust the amount of helical from little, to extreme, and last forever.

I have used three of them for about the same 25 year time period. They are the best as far as I am concerned. I won a lot of tournaments using them, when I lost it was not the arrows fault.

Before them I used a Jo-Jan multiple jig that I could fletch 6 arows at a time on. It was not too bad but the little inserts that held the nock did not match each other too well, so you had to ste a couple of the knobs so they would match the others.

The best set up I ever worked with was 24 Bitzenbergers set in a circle on a lazy susan type pivot. They were set so the shaft pointed toward the middle of the circle You would start on the first arrow then, move to the next, etc. By the time you got back to the first arrow it was set so you could turn to the second fletching position and keep on moving around until you were done. Really efficient way to make a couple dozen arrows in a hurry.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have and use a Bitzenberger. It works OK but I really wish I had a Jo-Jan multi fletcher. Local shop had one for sale last year for $100 but i didn't have the coin at the time. Dang!

The amount of helical is determined by the clamp, NOT by the adjustments on the jig. Those adjustments are for making the root of the vane/feather lay correctly against the shaft for maximum contact and bond strength. It is either set correctly, or incorrectly, and is must be adjusted for each different size shaft.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Bitz with a right helical clamp.

I would like to try the Arizona EZ Fletch, is it worth 50.00?

Dave

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Red,

I am aware of how to center the fletching with the adjustments of the Jo Jan, as I have made well over 200 dozen using the jig including small diameter beamans and 2514 "line cutters". The problem is the ROTATION of the shaft to be sure the fletchings are equidistant in their position around the shaft, which is controlled by the small positional knob that holds the nock. I had to reorder several of these to get all six to match each other to make all of the arrows match with out adjusting the individual shafts position in the nock.

Simply, the quality control of the Jo Jan product was not up to the quality of the Bitzenburger, which had been outstanding in all of them I have used. My existing set have all been purchased at different times from different sources and all produce high quality precise fletching. Once set they are very easy to use. My 8 year old made his own arrows with relative ease.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have a Bitz and love it. I don't need a multifletcher because I use fletching tape.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I used an Az ez fletch for years, still have two, they work well. I then went to the Bitz for little more consistency on spacing with skinny shafts... plus I like to try new gear.

Kent

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kent, they list a "new" model specific for 2" Blazer vanes with maximum helical on small diamter shafts.

If the tape works better I would probably stick with the Bitz.

Dave

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
The first one I got was in the 80s for fat aluminum shafts, then in the 90s switched to ACCs and needed another for skinny, then switched to Goldtips with blazers and got the Bitz. I was shooting prong rests and consistency of spacing seemed an issue, maybe... but I use dropaways and WBs now and a ez would do fine really.

There's just something about the Bitz I like and the ez is a good take along jig for camp.

Kent

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fyshbum
Red,

I am aware of how to center the fletching with the adjustments of the Jo Jan, as I have made well over 200 dozen using the jig including small diameter beamans and 2514 "line cutters". The problem is the ROTATION of the shaft to be sure the fletchings are equidistant in their position around the shaft, which is controlled by the small positional knob that holds the nock. I had to reorder several of these to get all six to match each other to make all of the arrows match with out adjusting the individual shafts position in the nock.

Simply, the quality control of the Jo Jan product was not up to the quality of the Bitzenburger, which had been outstanding in all of them I have used. My existing set have all been purchased at different times from different sources and all produce high quality precise fletching. Once set they are very easy to use. My 8 year old made his own arrows with relative ease.

fyshbum,

I was referring to the earlier post about adjusting helical on the Bitzenberger, not the Jo-Jan. No offense was intended to anyone.

I must have an older Bitz because there were no detented positions for fletching the cock feather down (or up), only to the side. I modified the adjustment drum to add my own set of detents for this. Didn't cost me a thing but a little time. Those are my favorite kind of fixes. grin

Another way to do this is to fletch the shaft before gluing on the nock, then adjusting the knock when gluing. If the plastic nock is pushed on hard with a bit of a twist, it will stay put while gluing but can be removed for final positioning when gluing. I'm a cheap bastid and can get quite creative when it comes to saving money.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm a cheap bastid and can get quite creative when it comes to saving money.

Amen, we're prolly related. Kinda why I'm getting a jig and why I reload. I can't see paying someone for something I'm capable of doing. Kinda like paying someone to take care of your lawn. Foolishness.

Last edited by brinky72; 05/04/12.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Last night I mentioned to my younger son that I would like to pave our driveway to the road. He said "You could hire Kenny to do it." I told him I would never pay someone to do something I am capable of doing and would do given the time, money, and inclination. I can't begin to tell you how many thousands of dollars I have saved this family by fixing and building things myself instead of hiring out, not to mention all the friends for whom I have done the same. Don't mean to sound haughty, but I am proud of the accomplishments and regularly thank God for the abilities he has entrusted to me. I know, I know, pride goeth before a fall. Sorry, but it is who I am and who He made me to be.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by Fisky
I use a Bitz. While I won't say it's the best as I've never used another jig, I like it and do agree with a few of the others, the majority of the people who have used multiple jigs prefer the Bitz I think.

It would be nice to be able to do more than one arrow at a time. I have considered trying a Jo Jan at some point.

+1 on this... I have a Bitz and love it. I fletch crossbow bolts with it and my regular GT arrows. Does a good job. it is faster with the new glue for carbon arrows and I have not fletched wood arrows in many years. For my use it is great. Would like to go faster but I'm not fletching for a living so it works and thats all I need.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I use a bitz for feathers and an Arizona for plastic.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I have a Bitzenberger that I bought about 15 years ago. The best? Dunno, never used any others. Never had a reason to. They can be found used from time to time.

This is my favorite glue when I stick on the Blazers:

Ultra control super gel by LOCTITE. You can get it about anywhere.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/sg_ug_cntrl/overview/Loctite-Super-Glue-ULTRA-Gel-Control.htm

+1 on the loctite gel its good stuff and easy to find

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (338Rules, 6mmbrfan, atvalaska, 9 invisible), 928 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,120
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.