Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I haven't owned a Leupold for a very long time....

What is your opinion of the Leupold VX2 3-9x40 scope?

I'm planning of putting it on a custom 6.5x55 Ruger MK/II I had built last year.

I looked at a Nikon Buckmaster, which was nice. However, I went with the more expensive VX2 because I've heard much better reports of customer service with Leupold.

It appears Nikon's customer service seems to take forever and is sometimes a hassle.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The new VX-2 (as opposed to the older VX-II) has some very nice features. I especially like the Diamond Coat anti-scratch coating and the Quantum Optical System.
I haven't had a new Leupold since an old Vari-XII 3-9x40 but just ordered a 3-9x40 VX-2 Ultralight EFR for my Kimber .22LR.

Can't wait to give it a rigorous workout.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a VX-II (the last generation 3x9) on my Ruger MKII .243. I really like it. The VX-2 should be even better with the updates. Leupold has the customer service all others are compared to. I've owned Burris Signature, Pentax Lightseeker, and Nikon Monarch scopes as well as Leupold. They seemed a bit better glass to my eye but fell short in other criteria for my needs or wants. I've only owned one Leupold scope (VX-II 1x4) I just couldn't warm up to even after a reticle change. I gave it to my son.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a bunch of Vari X-III, scopes that have been doing a good job for me for several years. The new VX-2 is likely a better scope than some of the older ones I have. IMO, that makes them plenty good for these older eyes. IIRC, the light transmission on the VX-2 is up into the 94-95% range as opposed to 98% on the VX-3 and I can't tell the difference. I am about to buy a new scope, so I will likely save the $100 difference by going with the VX-2 rather than a VX-3. jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have a batch of them..and they work out just fine..

I have different reticles in some of them...Leupold Target dot, heavy duplex, heavy German # 4, heavy German # 1... I like each of them... never a problem...

Leupold is a great bread and butter scope...solid, dependable etc.. and they will definitely back it up...or replace it..

sent in a broken junk 3 x I picked up used, knowing it was broken... so I got it for $40...the seller I am sure was bragging to his buddies how he got some moron to buy a broken scope... he wanted the money for a new Tasco...

brought the Leupold home, boxed it up, sent it up to Beaverton..

got contacted 3 days later to be informed the model was long since out of circulation and there were no more parts around.. so could they replace it with a new 4 power... I asked how much to upgrade to a 6 x 36, and they said "ok, no problem" and in less that 7 business days, I had a new 6 x 36 in my hands...

yeah, that guy who 'ripped me off for $40" sure showed me...didn't he? whistle

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've had good luck with them, though don't own any right now. I'd also consider the VX-2 2x7x33 or a straight 6x36 for that trim rifle. I am really fond of the latter.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have one with the CDS on a .223 and have been very pleased with it. Also, the CDS adjustments have been spot on out to 400 yd. (as far as I've tried it).

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
With the CDS, the new vx2 are a slam dunk bargain for a lightweight durable scope.

I'd like a decent #4 reticle....or a least a little girth to the posts on a standard duplex...but couldn't resist the 11oz

fwiw, I don't buy customer service. For some reason things go south for me when I need them the most, so I resort to other types of insurance...but if I did, Lupy would get the nod there. The 3-9 model has been around a long time....

Defend the Constitution

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 16 invisible), 1,765 guests, and 973 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,716
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.