Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
One of the other 'fire members was a bad...errr, I mean "good" influence on me, so I got me a new toy so we hopefully can play together. It's a Marlin XS7VH in 308 Win with 26-inch heavy barrel. It has one of those funny Glockish triggers on it (wish it was a Timney or better). The first load I tried was labeled "Frankford Arsenal Match" and 173 grains. It didn't shoot all that great. However, it really liked my handloads with 165gr Speers over Varget. I got some 150 Bal Tips today so I can play with it tomorrow.

Anybody else got one of these? How well does it shoot? Care to share any accuracy loads?

[Linked Image]

Sorry about the crummy cell phone pic.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Big Red what's the going rate on them out that way? What kinda groups you getting? I have been shooting my XS-7 in 308 with 165 gr Matchkings with RL-15 over 2700 with decent groups. Magnum Man

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
$369

I just started shooting it last night. Three of the 165 Speers were going into about 1/2 inch when I managed the heavy factory trigger.

Does the extra trigger thing add to the overall trigger pull? Has anyone removed that thing?

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hey Big , don't sweat that trigger just follow the instructions in the owners manual and adjust it down. My 308 came from the factory a nice clean 3# and the used XL-7 270 I picked up awhile back was ok too. Don't modify it, just adj it. Magnum Man

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I do not have one of the heavy barreled models,but have a 30/06,270 &243.All shoot way better than they ought to at that price!!!!!I am waiting for a 223 in The HB.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I tried to free float the barrel but that injection molded stock was all over the place and ended up touching the side of the barrel and fouling up the groups. So I re-installed forend pressure. Gonna clean the barrel and shoot again tomorrow. Would like to get a more rigid stock for it. Saw some Savages at the store with metal stocks. This accuracy thing can be really frustrating.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
I tried to free float the barrel but that injection molded stock was all over the place and ended up touching the side of the barrel and fouling up the groups. So I re-installed forend pressure. Gonna clean the barrel and shoot again tomorrow. Would like to get a more rigid stock for it. Saw some Savages at the store with metal stocks. This accuracy thing can be really frustrating.

I put a Boyds stock on my 243.They are reasonable and easy to bed.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for that idea, Huntz. That's probably what I'll do eventually. Would like a nice (expensive) fiberglass stock, but a good laminate will probably do. I shot it again just now with forend pressure and it went back to just stringing vertically. It walks up the target as the barrel warms up. I got a 3-inch group at 300 yards with virtually zero lateral dispersion. I'm hoping the vertical stuff will minimize with the barrel floated and action bedded in a more rigid stock.

The thing is really front heavy with that 26 inch tube. Maybe it'll get bobbed, who knows.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Big need an update on your progress with the Marlin heavy barrel 308. Magnum Man

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well I have plans to put a new laminated stock on it and epozy bed the action, but funds are limited so it will take some time. I can get a drop-in stock from Boyd's for under a hundred but they don't really have a target style stock for the Marlins. They have one called the "Prairie Hunter" that might work. We'll see. I'll let you know how it works out.

Also want to try target style bullets in her, like the Nosler A-max or some such. The ballistic tips do about 3 inches at 300 yards. I'm hoping for better. I'm thinking of lopping off about 4 inches of barrel to make it balance better and stiffen it up, but my boy does not want me to do it. He wants to take the thing deer hunting as is. grin I will let him take it too. He's 15 and strong as an ox. Arm wrestling I can still take him right handed, but left handed I'm no contest for him. grin

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yeah, I hope you don't lop it off either, that 26" length is the part that really interests me with accuracy too. I bought a Remington Laminated thumbhole varmint stock (Boyd's) from buddy who had sent his off sans the stock to have Christenson Arms do it to a carbon canon model. I dropped my 700 V 223 into it and that stock flat works for me. It is their Ross thumbhole model with varmint forend. I am curious if a guy can get some real good accuracy and velocity with 168 and 178 A MAX Hornady's with the extra barrel length. Magnum Man

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Its a 12 twist so not sure if it will like 178s. It did not like military match ammo with 173gr FMJs at all.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That would be my line a thought also, but a couple of weeks back at the IBS 2 Montana Marine was using his 308 built LR gun with a 1 in 12 twist with 208 gr Amax's. If they shoot in a 1 in 12(and they did) 178's should not be a problem. He was getting right at 2600 with a 20.5" barrel and a 26 should be some better. Just my line a thought anyway. Magnum man

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Only one way to find out.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep! smile

[Linked Image]

Ted

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That's great shooting Ted. Now if your XL7 with sporter weight barrel ends up shooting better than my heavy barrel 308, I'm gonna be pissed! wink

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't sweat it. That is the best group I have shot with the rifle. However, I don't think it has ever shot a three-shot group over an inch, and a lot are close to 3/4 !

BTW, my Husqvarna 308 has a 1:12 twist barrel, and handles 200 gr spitzers with no problem.

Ted

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a few of the Marlin X guns, but none with the heavy factory barrel. I've swapped barrel and stocks on a couple of them, but the factory injection molded stocks work OK. The Boyds Prairie Hunter works well with the sporter barrels, but I don't think that the factory BC would open up very well for a heavier barrel.

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Will a Marlin barrelled action fit in a stock inletted for a Rem 700?

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I haven't tried it, but I think that the Marlin X gun receiver specs are closer to the Winchester 70 than to the Remington 700.

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (6MMWASP, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 358wsm, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 21 invisible), 1,973 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,903
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.