Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I drew a 27-1 Idaho sheep tag. Some of the nastiest country in the lower 48. Not a road in the whole unit. In fact its over 10 mile hike in from the closest trailhead just to get into the unit. It will either be fly in, or raft, or pack. Either way I have my work cut out for me. Anyone with any help on this unit, I would appreciate it. It has alot of sheep but low success rates because of the terrain and access issues. I have done some backpack hunting but this will be a true expansion of my resume. As well as the toughest challenge I have walked into. If anyone knows anyone that has hunted this area please send them my way. I have applied for different sheep hunts for years. Always wanted the opportunity. This time I just decided to put in for an "easy" tag. Easy to draw. Not to hunt. Cant wait.

Thanks guys

Jason

Last edited by strictlyRUM; 05/17/12.
GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Congrats on the draw, I've never seen the unit but seems like you know everything about it difficulty wise. I'm considering giving that one a shot next year as the one I've been trying the odds keep getting worse.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats!! Go get em!

Life is hard,its even harder when you are stupid.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Congrats. I don't have any pics of unit 27 but, er, lets just say that this pic is NOT it. grin

[Linked Image]

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jason,
Congrats - that will be a fun hunt for you. What gun you plan on using - one of your builds or??

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I am trying to sell a rifle right now. Just so I can put one together just for this. I think this calls for a duty specific rifle! Thanks buddy. I am as excited as I am worried about getting fit enough to hunt it the right way!

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have nothing to add, but congratulations, that's awesome!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is 27-1 Loon Creek? Back in 94 I did 26 miles from Parker Mt along Loon Creek. (Not sheep hunting, just hiking.) I didn't see any sheep. A few deer and some elk.
There were horse trails along the bottom and two camps with guides. There are landing strips in a few places. You'll see some when you look at your gazetteer. You may want to call a pilot our of Challis and ask him about sheep, along with the biologist. I'd think hard about getting dropped off and then doing some HARD hiking from there.
Congrats on the tag. I've been meaning to put in for Loon Creek and never have.
Sorry I can't be more helpful. I don't remember what I had for breakfast this morning, let alone too many details from that trip 18 years ago!

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by strictlyRUM
I am trying to sell a rifle right now. Just so I can put one together just for this. I think this calls for a duty specific rifle! Thanks buddy. I am as excited as I am worried about getting fit enough to hunt it the right way!

If you still lived in Lebanon, I'd be glad to let you use that KS .280 I brought to your shop that day a couple years ago - but you had to move to Idaho - lucky:) Whatever you put together I'm sure will shoot lights out!

"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats man, wish I could go!

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
[/quote]
If you still lived in Lebanon, I'd be glad to let you use that KS .280 I brought to your shop that day a couple years ago - but you had to move to Idaho - lucky:) Whatever you put together I'm sure will shoot lights out! [/quote]

Thanks. I appreciate it. You know general elk and buck season is open during this hunt. smile

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Jason - just sent you a PM. Sounds like this will be a great hunt.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Congrats on drawing strictlyRUM! Good luck on your hunt, hope you kill a Booner and post some pics here for us to see!

God Bless America!
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
TwentySeven is a bad MoFo...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho isn't the highest state in the union, but we have some places that will rank right up there as the nastiest. The problem is that it doesn't stay high. The altitude difference between the draws and the ridges is as bad as they come.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Not sure the exact boundaries of unit 27-1, but I spent quite a bit of time in Loon, Little Loon, Pungo Mountain, Marble Creek, Trail Creek, Mahoney, white creek, etc. a few years ago.

Each evening after work, I'd glass for game, specifically sheep. Saw a few elk, bears, and deer, but never did see a sheep. I'm of the opinion that the sheep in there live in the timber a good portion of the time. I was in there in late July-Early August and it was hot so I didnt really expect to see much.

If you fly into soldier bar, little creek, mahoney, etc. I'd recommend middle fork aviation out of Challis. Pete Nelson is the owner, I believe, and he is a great pilot as are all his employees. I've flown with almost all of his pilots, and they are safe and second to none when it comes to flying into the church.

The trails in there are sketchy at best, and I'd recommend you get ahold of the FS trail crews out of Challis and Salmon. Many of the trails shown on the maps, simply dont exist any more. Many have not been maintained for years. Classic example is the trail up Marble Creek...its there in the lower stretches and then flat disappears as you get up there a few miles.

You will definately earn any sheep you take in there. I've worked a lot of country in MT, WY, CO, NM, AZ, etc. and that is just plain mean country, as tough as it gets anywhere I've ever worked or hunted.

Good luck on your hunt and stay safe.

If you need the contact info for the FS trail guys...send me a PM and I can tell you who to talk with.

Last edited by BuzzH; 05/18/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is ROUGH looking terrain!!! One way or the other, you will have some good stories!!! Good luck on your hunt!

Eric

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by strictlyRUM

If you still lived in Lebanon, I'd be glad to let you use that KS .280 I brought to your shop that day a couple years ago - but you had to move to Idaho - lucky:) Whatever you put together I'm sure will shoot lights out! [/quote]

Thanks. I appreciate it. You know general elk and buck season is open during this hunt. smile [/quote]

Jason,
when is the hunt?? If you end up needing a extra pack mule I could do it - it would be fun stuff to be a part of a sheep hunt. So if I could help it would be fun:) Its not that far of a drive and all i have going this year is antelope in Wyoming.
Keep us all posted.
Frank

"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck and congrats! I hunted with a pard in one of the 27's for 18 days for sheep over two trips. We backpack, flew, and rafted. I'd worry less about your rifle and more about getting as in shape and mentally prepared as possible. There are sheep, but I'd call them far from abundant, at least in my experience. IMO, the mental side was harder than the physical side. Beautiful scenery, but we just didn't see a lot of game of any type. Good luck, it'll definitely be an adventure!

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks guys. I will definately be in as good of shape as I can get it. I try to stay in better shape than most. This will be a different story tho. I only live at about 1100 ft. I hike weekly. I will start doing it daily now. Its only about 2 miles but it goes from 1100 to 3200 in that two miles. I do intensity interval training with weights 3-4 times a week now. But only for the last six weeks. We just had my second son four months ago so I am working the "baby weight" off. All in all its a good time for me. Work is calming down a bit. I have most of the gear needed for a trip like this. May need a few things. More like upgrade a few. I am not "worried" about my rifle. I havent built a rifle in a long time. Havent ever built myself an ultra light gun. I put together a few that were under six pounds for other guys. Just not myself. The mental will be the hardest. I do have about four months to get ready tho. I am not realy worried about seeing game either. Although prepared to go days without. I have allready talked to a couple of people that have hunted it in the past. If you pick the wrong time the animals are definately spread out. Not like most typical sheep hunts. They dont start to group up till later in the season. Depending on weather and water conditions you may have better results than other years. I am only looking for the chance. Not too worried about score either. Just an epic adventure. I have spent a bit of time just watching and photographing sheep from Montana to Oregon. This time I will have a couple of tags in my pocket. If I wanted a gimme tag I could have waited years and hunted unit 11. Its just outside my door and you can spot them from the road. What fun would that be. Thanks again guys for info I have been given so far. Also for the pics. CANT WAIT!

Jason

Frank, I will be flying in and rafting down to get flown out from another strip. If that sounds like "fun" to you. I think you should think about Oct 1-10 or 14 depending on things. Then give me a call. Number is still the same.

Im going to go hike for a while.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Here are some pictures of the unit to wet your appetite. I've used Arnold Aviation in Cascade a few times with great success.

Pungo
[Linked Image]

Mitchell Ranch
[Linked Image]

This is where they live. I found rams in the green timber almost at the top.
[Linked Image]

Rams
[Linked Image]

More Sheep
[Linked Image]

Good luck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On the second trip in, we flew and rafted. That was an adventure!! We didn't fly out a different airstrip, but floated to the take out at Corn Creek (I think that's where the Middle Fork joins the Main) above Shoup.

We found rams were the poster above did as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I also drew bighorn for '12...20a in Idaho not too far from your unit...All I can say is wow.
I killed a billy last year in ID and wife did in '09 so we know tough country, but these rocky mountain bighorn units in central Idaho are a whole new meaning of challenge.

I've talked to two successful hunters from my unit and they said it was among the toughest things they've ever done. And their hunts were loooong. Two to three weeks at least to find the sheep.

Get in the best shape of your life, and then train even harder.

Also, I noticed you mentioned a mid October hunt...could mean heavy snow in there. Snow can happen anytime that high, but mid-October seems like tempting fate...I'll be hitting it opening day.
Goats---hunt later for the hair; sheep?--get in there and git'er done. Just my '02...

Good luck, be safe!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IIRC my pard shot his sheep on about the 30th day hunting for it. It was not all straight through, but he spent a lot of time and the one he shot was the first legal ram he spotted. The country is rough, but IMO the mental side of the hunt in that country may be even tougher. Here are some more pics from that country to keep you going... wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm pointing at the rams (7) that we spotted a long way away...
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Hey Pointer, I recognize that last picture there:) What issue was that anyways? Ive been looking thru my old Eastmans and cannot find it. Thanks for the advice guys. I believe if I dont get a ram it wont be because I am out of shape. It will be because I either hurt myself over training or just not the right place at the right time. Ive spent a decent amount of time in sheep country and have photographed them from Montana to Oregon. This will be my longest "bush" hunt tho. Ive had my share of challenging hunts already, but this will be the best and biggest challenge I have gone into. I feal its a guys responsibility to know what he is getting into before he puts in for one of these tags. If not you are cheating other hunters that are prepared out of a tag they deserve more than you. Its not something you should do unless you are ready to at least give it every thing you have. From research to preseason effort, to effort during the hunt. It is a tag for the experience not for the success rate. I knew that. I am not in it for the prize but for the challenge. I ran cross country in high school, raced mountain bikes after that. Got into body building till I broke my back. They told me that I would never backpack again. Ive since packed numerous 300 class bulls out of some serious nastyness. None of which were mine. Just went along with buds to help. I look at my office wall now and I dont have a book animal to my name. I have a bunch of unimpressive horns. Three point buck here, a five point bull there. All of which mean something to me. Not to impress, just because of the different accomplishments along the way. This is just the next step in my hunting evolution. I will plan to leave nothing on the mountain. If everyone thaught of it that way hunting wouldnt be for everyone. Its that way for me. I tend to be less "successful" than most guys but only by the pile of horns in the garage or the horns on the wall. I dont care though. If I did I would get used to hunting from my office chair or spend alot more money than sweat. Right now I take the opportunities I can and do what I can with them.

Thanks for the pics and good words guys. I am getting pretty excited, and the tag hasnt even shown up in the mailbox yet!

Hey Good luck to you Broomed. I hope to hear a story from you when its all over. Remember central Idaho is a gamble of fate anytime. Early you may have fires. Late you may have snow. Try and figure out what the animals habbits are and prepare for the rest. Thats all you can do.

Added: That is funny. I just found the article. Ironicly it is titles "leave it all on the field". Eastmans april/may 2010. Good read for sure!

Thanks again

Jason

Last edited by strictlyRUM; 05/22/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I forgot about that picture being in the article. Not sure on the issue, I have a couple at home but nothing at hand.

Good luck! I think you are going in with a great mindset and know that if you tag out or not it will be an adventure you won't forget. Just to keep you interested, this was was the "path" we packed the sheep back to the river.
[Linked Image]

Scrambling over those rocks with a loaded pack was not much fun for this fat guy...but I'd go again if I could!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I wouldn't worry too much about snow, Jason. Your tag ends 10/13. I've been in 27-1 twice in late October with snow. The ridge tops might get 6+ inches but river level will only get a dusting.

In fact, you should do an Indian dance and pray for snow. It'll push the game from the back country into the winter range along the river front.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Temperate + dry = mo betta.
Don't "snow dance" for my unit.
I've been blessed (and lucky) with many successful sheep hunts and 'ice on rocks' should never be a part of any of them...maybe it's just me, but FOR SHEEP HUNTING, especially at 8-9000'+, I'll take the warmer weather. Elk, deer, etc, I'll take the snow.

I hunt goats late in the season for hair, so snow and ice can't be avoided then.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Broomd has it exactly right. I guided sheep hunters in Alaska for many years and when the snow came in it plum got scary. I used to carry a pair of crampons and used them many times, maybe thats why I'm still around. A backpack full of boned meat changes your center of gravity a lot. Keep the "snow dance" for Christmas when the meat's on the table. hunting sheep in snow and ice makes a good story to tell friends about but it can take the fun out of it real quick!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These are affordable, light insurance if snow is a possibility in that type of country. Kinda like chains for your truck.

http://www.kahtoola.com/crampons_details.php

My pard above has worn out one pair (literally, Kahtoola asked to keep them when sent in for a strap repair) and won't be without them.

J
J
jason--i drew a tag in 27-1 also. wondering what your plans are. i have narrowed the area down to some likely spots. get a hold of me--307-250-5083--jeff

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
17 days till I head out! Just wanted to bump this. I had to pull it up to look at the pics. Google earth is just about burned in my head. Thanks again guys. I hope to have a success story soon. I have seen alot of nice sheep getting taken this year. So far I know of one taken out of this unit this year.

Jason

Jeff I didnt even see your post until now. I hope you are already successful but I will try and call.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Keeping an eye on this one. Spent a good deal of time in there chasing muleys.
GOOD LUCK!

R
R
I just drew the same tag and have been saying the same thing, "holy crap!"

Hi everyone, new guy here. Trying to get all the info I can on 27-1. Hunt of a lifetime and I certainly want to be prepared. Anyone willing to part with their knowledge on the area?

Let me know. Thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats.....I think. grin

Have Dog

Will Travel

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by RPoutside
I just drew the same tag and have been saying the same thing, "holy crap!"

Hi everyone, new guy here. Trying to get all the info I can on 27-1. Hunt of a lifetime and I certainly want to be prepared. Anyone willing to part with their knowledge on the area?

Let me know. Thanks

I posted some info earlier in the thread. The success rate for the unit has gotten better in the last few years. You should start your research by calling the Salmon office of IDF&G and asking the biologist for the kill site info for the past five years. Mark these on a map and start plotting your hunt from there.

Good luck!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The easiest way in is by skydiving. Then you can go downhill all the way out.

― George Orwell

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Thanks for the chuckle! I've backpacked some of the areas up there, but never hunted. The old adage that "the work starts after you pull the trigger" is multiplied at least 10X in that country.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Congrats on the draw!

Did strictlyRUM ever check in as to the outcome of his hunt?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by NTG
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Thanks for the chuckle! I've backpacked some of the areas up there, but never hunted. The old adage that "the work starts after you pull the trigger" is multiplied at least 10X in that country.

Yep. I made the mistake of killing a buck 5 miles from the airstrip. My 5 mile return hike turned into 15 miles...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Congrats.

I have no specific info on 27-1. I have plenty to offer on 27-2.

It took me 28 days to kill a ram in 27-2. My buddy killed one in 4 days. I also tagged a real nice billy in there.

There are some really big rams in there. Twice I was within 100 yards of large rams and the plans went awry.

Both rams and goat I took part in were killed in old burns.

Here is a pic to spark your torch.

[img]http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/picture.php?albumid=49&pictureid=2233[/img]

Last edited by T Bone; 06/06/14.
R
R
Thanks for the help. Still waiting to hear from the guys up in Salmon. Talking to a few people that have been in there, but no one in the last couple of years, and this is the time that the success rates have gone up. Not sure if it is due to harder hunting or larger population?

Interested in what others have to say. There is a lot of preparation and info to sort through.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I will get some pics and info together and we can chat. I did not fill my tag but passed on two four year old dinks next to the last day. It was an epic adventure. Not a whole lot of animals period. I managed to see sheep on three different occasions though. My pilot told me that he had just taken someone out that spent twenty days and didnt even see a sheep. It is THE most rugged place to sheep hunt. I ended up doing close to a hundred miles and 12000 feet in elevation in 10 days. I wish I would have brought a fishing pole and less mountain house. We did eat grouse one day that was taken with a rock. They are DUMB there. I saw one elk from about a mile away. 10-12 deer only one of which was a buck. Far less animals than I thought. Also the constant plane traffic took me by surprise. At least 5-10 flights in and out a day. The outfitter there uses his plane to keep an eye on things. He was flying over my head every day. I talked to the "lucky" hunter at the airstrip before he left. He had paid 10,000 bucks for a four year old half curl. He said it was the only sheep he saw in 8 days. The outfitter was quick to call bullshit when I said I had see around 20 at that point. 4 from the landing strip. Not at all what I had expected. I will go back when I draw again. I like having the tag in my pocket and the chance of killing a sheep much better than waiting for a easier hunt. I was told by someone it was a three year hunt. By the third year you may get it figured out enough to kill a ram. I only could take 10 days because of moving and new job and family. Next time I will look at taking 20. I will post some pics or a video of the flight in. It is not for the faint of heart.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (007FJ, 204guy, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,295 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,071
Posts18,482,609
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.