-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Marlin XS7 in .243 cal. that just will not shoot accurately regardless of what I try. I have been tinkering around with reloading for about fifty years and have now ran into something that I had not experienced before. A few days ago I measured the inside of the neck of a fired cartridge and was surprised to see that it only .0241. Then I tried to insert a new bullet in the case but, of course, no go. I have tried WW, Rem and Fed cases, all have had their necks turned and yesterday I tried three new WW cases with same results.

Anybody else experience this?

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have no experience with the .243 but would be interested in hearing what the problem is when you solve it.

Last edited by websterparish47; 05/20/12.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I am not an expert but will offer an opinion anyway. It seems to be a gun or chamber problem not a brass problem, because it is unlikely that three different brands of brass would all have the same problem ie inadequate fired diameter of the neck. My suggestion would be to take it to someone who does a lot of rechambering work, have them test or measure and either fix or contact the manufacturer.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Seems to be another example of the shoddy work Remington is putting out in the Marlin line! Send it back. Call and they will likely issue a return shipping tag. jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The necks of .243 Winchester brass will thicken over several firings, but if they thicken that much after only one or two firings it sounds like the Marlin factory over-used a reamer and wore the neck section way down. Or the reamer was defective in the first place.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Rbell, I agree with you and actually that was what I was attempting to say.

This Marlin is one of the early ones, before Remington, and the bad thing with warranty would be that it began life as a .308 but I purchased a new, takeoff .243 barrel from one of the members here and changed it. Might try to give them a call, though.

John, it just about has to be that the chamber is too tight, especially when just one firing of new brass comes out the same. The fired brass will chamber very easy even without any resizing at all. I guess that's a plus.

Shouldn't a competent gunsmith be able to ream the neck part of the chamber? Maybe even AI it? That would be the quickest way of fixing it, I think, if that is possible.

Thanks for the advice.

Ivan

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by websterparish47
I have no experience with the .243 but would be interested in hearing what the problem is when you solve it.

Soon as I can get it cured, I sure will post here what had to be done.

Thanks

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
I measured the inside of the neck of a fired cartridge and was surprised to see that it only .0241.

.0241 or .241?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bigbuck,

Yeah, it's to be the chamber. A competent gunsmith should be able to ream out the neck.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
I measured the inside of the neck of a fired cartridge and was surprised to see that it only .0241.

.0241 or .241?

Ha! That sure would be mighty small, huh. Must have had zeros on my mind.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1minute, 65 invisible), 2,578 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,190
Posts18,503,409
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.