-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting. I have one roma plant and it has green tomatoes but it isn't looking good. It's stunted and not growing well.

The super sweet 100 is 4' tall, spilling way out of the cage and loaded with blossoms and green tomatoes.

The other variety I planted was an heirloom Cherokee. It's doing very well also and already has a few small tomatoes and lots of blossoms.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Last week I yanked all of my determinate tomatos out and am now preparing for a fall garden. This is one of the few advantages of only having two seasons here in South Texas. Those 2 seasons are summer to be interupted by an occasional cool spell. grin

BP...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by fish head
The other variety I planted was an heirloom Cherokee.

Cherokee Purple is a good tomato. We usually put out a couple of those because they are good and pretty. You'll enjoy them. Seem to come in pretty early also.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by boilerpig1
Last week I yanked all of my determinate tomatos out and am now preparing for a fall garden. This is one of the few advantages of only having two seasons here in South Texas. Those 2 seasons are summer to be interupted by an occasional cool spell. grin

BP...
Same with North-Central Florida.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ours are really starting to produce. This is about what I have been picking every other day.

[Linked Image]

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Nice! Do I see a few Romas in there?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They're actually San Marzano's. We started planting them instead of Roma's a couple of years ago. Size and texture are the same but we like the flavor better and think they make a better sauce.

Mike

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
My neighbor has quite a garden. Same one from which, just a year ago, was pilfering cukes from.

Anyway found this outside on the lawn chair as I exited this morning. At lunch, went home and sliced and salted one of 'em as fast as I could. Very nice, but a bit tart, wondering if they will mellow in a few days...?

One could go liberal (apologies to sam...LOL) with the EVOO, and light on the vinegar.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Put the maters in a paper bag to ripen them up.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by fish head
Put the maters in a paper bag to ripen them up.

Heard of that, never tried it. Does it take a day or so? Longer?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A few days (2, 3 or 4) ... depending. Just check em and you won't overdo it. Leave them on the kitchen counter and not in the fridge.

It really does ripen tomatoes far better than doing nothing and there's a sound scientific principle behind it.

It's not magic but it helps.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
They're actually San Marzano's. We started planting them instead of Roma's a couple of years ago. Size and texture are the same but we like the flavor better and think they make a better sauce.

Mike
Unless I'm mistaken, San Marzano is merely a place where they are known for the quality of their Roma tomatoes. Their Roma tomatoes are the best because of the volcanic soil in which they're grown. If you didn't import the soil you grow them in, therefore, they're not really San Marzano tomatoes. I have no doubt they're delicious, though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
San Marzano IS a listed variety and you are correct it's named after the region but Romas come in all different sizes,shapes,colors and flavors.Planting it here changes nothing as we have a diverse range of soils and some probably better than from its origin country..it's genetically the same, an open pollinated Heirloom true to seed no matter where it's planted.As a Big Boy is still a Big Boy no matter where it puts down roots.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Mike
Unless I'm mistaken, San Marzano is merely a place where they are known for the quality of their Roma tomatoes. Their Roma tomatoes are the best because of the volcanic soil in which they're grown. If you didn't import the soil you grow them in, therefore, they're not really San Marzano tomatoes. I have no doubt they're delicious, though.

yeah, I think you missed on this one... if I was going to do any grouping, I would say they are both a variety of "plum tomatoes"

Andrew
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
as trh usually is.................

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry about the crappy cell phone shot.

[Linked Image]

Mike

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry about the crappy cell phone shot.

[Linked Image]

Mike

Mike TRH seems to be the authority on many things but tomaters he's not!

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem

Mike TRH seems to be thethinks he is an authority on many things but tomaters he's not!

fixed that for ya.....

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stumbled across [b][color:#3333FF]Tatiana's Tomatoes[/color][/b] by accident, but there's info on LOTS of different varieties...

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by lovemy99
I would say they are both a variety of "plum tomatoes"
That makes sense, but is the San Marzano a variety of tomato, or an indicator of where they were grown? I was under the impression it was the latter.

OK, a quick Google search turned this up. Looks like you folks are right. Link

I guess I was thrown by the many times I've read or heard Italian chefs warn against buying San Marzano tomatoes that aren't certified as being actually imported from San Marzano, since, according to them, it's the volcanic soil they're grown in that makes them distinct.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

370 members (1lesfox, 06hunter59, 163bc, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 40 invisible), 1,928 guests, and 1,023 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,541
Posts18,531,250
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.