Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 28 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 27 28
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman
Which religion of the world is the "right" religion? Right now it is Evolutionism. Science has proven beyond any doubt that creation occured and occasional miracles continue to occur. ...

Please stop throwing these red herrings into the debate!

- evolutionism (small "e") is NOT a religion
- science has NOT "proven beyond any doubt that creation occurred"
- science has NOT "proven that occasional miracles occur"

Is it too ambitious or too naive to look for an honest politician? Or simply a useful one?
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MacLorry

No doubt you'll complain that I'm just postulating theories to reconcile the Bible to observations, but that's what mainstream science does. When the orbits of stars around galactic centers couldn't be explained by the observable matter, science invented dark matter, matter we can't see or detect and can't explain, but is claimed to exist in order to reconcile human knowledge with observations. When it was discovered that the universe is expanding at an increasing rate, science invented dark energy to once again reconcile human knowledge with observations. Not only that, but dark matter and dark energy are said to make up 95.5% of the contents of the universe, and it's not apart from ordinary matter, but everywhere. Of course, Biblical skeptics accept this without question because it's science, but perhaps you would see it differently if it were called spiritual matter and spiritual energy, the realm of God and angels and which explains Acts 17:28 that says in part "For in him we live and move and have our being."

Here's the key. If you start off with the assumption that the God of the Bible doesn't exist then you'll always end up reasoning in such a way that you conclude He doesn't exist. The opposite is also true. If you start off with the assumption that the God of the Bible does exist then you'll always end up reasoning in such a way that you conclude He does exist. Which brings me to the point I made before. No one can know for sure. You believe what you do about God apart from worldly evidence and reason; it's a choice we all make to either accept or reject the revealed truth and the testimony of the Bible. The difference is that Christians know they accept God on the basis of faith, while skeptics tend to foolishly believe they have reasoned it out.

The only intellectually honest position is to know that you can't know, that you choose to believe what you do about God on the basis of faith. BTW, that's exactly the way God intended it.

Quoted for truth, and for one of the most concise explanations of where we are as a society today.

There were alot of pretty smart guys in the infancy of modern scientific exploration that had no issues with God. One guy, some of you may have heard of him, Johannes Kepler, even said that as we discovered things, we were "thinking God's thoughts after Him". Interesting way of looking at it, huh?

Last edited by 68injunhed; 05/29/12.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
And on the Campfire, fools keep posting foolishness that they're proud of! No wonder America is such a mess! frown

But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
(Matthew 5:22)

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The only intellectually honest position is to know that you can't know, that you choose to believe what you do about God on the basis of faith.

Uh, no The only intellectually honest position is to not belive in things that run counter to the laws of, I dont know, fking nature.
How about that for being intellectually honest?
Not buying into bullchit like fish hanging out in space while god destroyed the rest of the planet.
Or how water deep enough to cover the himalays all of the sudden disapeared.
lets not forget that somehow animals that dont swim got from Australia to the middle east, rode around on a boat for 40 days then somehow found ther way back from turket to australia again.
Do you have a fcking globe? how about a pen and a calculator.
Do some math.
So GOD...who established the universe. Who set into motion the complexity of the natural world, who formes the universe based on Immutable LAWS that maintain thier validty accross the expanse of time and space (yes jimmy, 2+2 still equals 4 on mars.)
He just goes and suspends his own laws so he can erradicate groudhogs...
But he saves the jellyfish by transporting them off planet?

intellectual honesty.

THATS intellectual honesty.

WOW.

Just WOW.

To actually choose a course of thought that requires you to suspend the laws of the universe, nature, science and match...SO YOU CAN BELIVE A MISTRANSLATION FROM A SUMERIAN TEXT AND CALL IT ORIGINAL...
Thats amazing.
The human mind is a wonder, huh?
tell me ...do you belive theres a beast and a dragon living in the ocean?
I mean the bible says that a beast is going to rise up out of the ocean, so is it there now or is god going to put it there before the end so it can make a dramatic entrance by coming up onto the beach?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the academic world intellectually honesty is prized. When the one secular person claimed Jesus was a myth it was natural for the other secular people to call him on it even if the other four also believe Jesus was a mythical person. What they rightly object to is someone claiming to know what they can't know. Maybe you still don't get it

You have a fun argument there. Maybe they were attacking her because they actually believe history.

Okay, like others I wasn't paying close attention and thought I was responding to ringworm. Sorry about that.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
look guys.
Lets stop with the name calling and be real for a second.
I know some of you, well, most of you dont care for me.
Thats cool.
You think thats a recent development in my life?
Most people that know me dont like me.
But I have got to be me, you know.
And I really want to be clear.
Look...
When I was a kid I was told by adults that there was a fat guy in a red suit that once a year rode the planet on a sled pulled by deer depositing toys to the good kids.
And I bought that and I rode that horse as long as I could because, lets face it...the gifts from santa were better and more numerous, right?
And they told me there was a rabbit that hid colored eggs in the yard and left candy and jelly beans...And i ate that chit right up...I mean comon, unlimited boiled eggs. HELL YEAH.
And I was taken to Sunday school and told about the flood and the animals and it all made a pretty neat activity till church service began.
But i'm grown.
And while I am not a scientist, I understand that you cant suspend time so a jolly elf can shrink himself down ato chimney size and deliver toys from a bag that never runs out, pulled by magical flying caribou.
And rabbits are fking stupid as chit. Eggs? WTF?
EGGS? Really?
hows a rabbit tote all those fking eggs? And why did he put one in grandmas rose bush?
So at some point I chose to actually take into account when prossesing information, the laws of nature and science and common sense.
I mean really guys?
You guys are the ones asking for round counts on used rifles?
You are the same crowd who handloads, right?
why measure.
jesus loves you.
Just dump some powder in.
No, really.
Todays miricle is tommorows science.
And if it needs a miricle to explain it...Its probably BS. Or at the very least a mistake.
I mean, if someone you knew and you trusted thier honesty, right.
if they said to you. I shot a deer at 800 yards.
BOOM your bullshit detector goes off.
But you keep listing...
"I shot a deer at 800 yards with a 30-30, I was looking out into a field and I saw the deer, and I used my rangfinder and it said 800 yards. So I prayed that I could make the shot, held dead on and bang-flopped the deer".
You going to say "Your range finder is broken" before you say "glory to Jesus".
So dont try and make me the bad guy for not buying it. Sell it someplace else, like the comic book shop.
You dont really think that I'm going to go "Ah, I see , God took the fish into space. Thats explains it all now. So with that little bumnp in the road cleared I am all ready to give my heart to jesus"
Its not happening, Just like I dont think that I can point out things in the bible that run contrary to the physical nature of the universe and you guys are going to go "AH-HA. I see, thats right, Theres no way that the sun could stop revolving around the earth because it doesnt anyway, and if it did the the oceans would rise and fall and destroy the planet. Thank you ringworm, you saved me from looking like a brainwashed idiot"
No we aint about to change each others mind.
But truthfully.
You guys are WAY to easy to not pick on.
Comon
Give me a break.
Space Fish.
Thats a fking riot.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Then I would suspect, instead of a miracle, something else.
Who cares what you suspect? Only you, and that is irrelevant to most everyone else, and all the more to those who have read your posts.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I'm sure the Lord doesn't give a flip what archaeology either proves or disproves, and neither do I. wink

I cannot seem to invision God sitting on his throne in heaven wringing his hands over the supposed 'problems' that we mortals can invent. grin

Last edited by the_shootist; 05/29/12. Reason: to add last line

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by RickyD
Then I would suspect, instead of a miracle, something else.
Who cares what you suspect? Only you, and that is irrelevant to most everyone else, and all the more to those who have read your posts.

Laffin....

Even I don't care.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ringworm
The only intellectually honest position is to know that you can't know, that you choose to believe what you do about God on the basis of faith.

Uh, no The only intellectually honest position is to not belive in things that run counter to the laws of, I dont know, fking nature.
How about that for being intellectually honest?
Not buying into bullchit like fish hanging out in space while god destroyed the rest of the planet.
Or how water deep enough to cover the himalays all of the sudden disapeared.
lets not forget that somehow animals that dont swim got from Australia to the middle east, rode around on a boat for 40 days then somehow found ther way back from turket to australia again.
Do you have a fcking globe? how about a pen and a calculator.
Do some math.
So GOD...who established the universe. Who set into motion the complexity of the natural world, who formes the universe based on Immutable LAWS that maintain thier validty accross the expanse of time and space (yes jimmy, 2+2 still equals 4 on mars.)
He just goes and suspends his own laws so he can erradicate groudhogs...
But he saves the jellyfish by transporting them off planet?

intellectual honesty.

THATS intellectual honesty.

WOW.

Just WOW.

To actually choose a course of thought that requires you to suspend the laws of the universe, nature, science and match...SO YOU CAN BELIVE A MISTRANSLATION FROM A SUMERIAN TEXT AND CALL IT ORIGINAL...
Thats amazing.
The human mind is a wonder, huh?
tell me ...do you belive theres a beast and a dragon living in the ocean?
I mean the bible says that a beast is going to rise up out of the ocean, so is it there now or is god going to put it there before the end so it can make a dramatic entrance by coming up onto the beach?

Your rant is a perfect example of what I stated, that if you start off with the assumption that the God of the Bible doesn't exist you will reason in such a way as to conclude He doesn't exist. That's circular logic.

Assume that the God of the Bible does exist and then ask what experiment could you do, or what evidence could you find that the God who created the universe could not thwart and confound? One of the main principles of the Bible is that God is not bound by natural law. Of course, this too results in circular logic.

Being that starting off with either assumption results in circular logic the only intellectually honest position is to admit no one can know one way or the other for sure. You choose to either accept or reject the revealed truth and testimony of the Bible. What you believe about God you do so on the basis of faith alone.

I can see that's hard for you to accept. You have deluded yourself into thinking you were somehow smarter, or braver, or more honest than those who believe the Bible, when in truth all you have done is make the choice to reject the Bible. Like many others you have been misled. Accept the logical truth that you can't know for sure and then reevaluate your choice. Perhaps you are not yet lost.

IC B3

P
Plinker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by carbon12
Laffin....

Even I don't care.

You sure posted a lot for a guy who doesn't care. Could it be that God is calling out to you? Here's a thought; Why don't you ask Jesus to prove to you that He exists?

Let us know how it goes.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
One of the main principles of the Bible is that God is not bound by natural law.

Right. Establish laws to control the universe then toy with your creation until they are miserable.Then flood thier planet for not following your laws.
Then offer them hellfire if they dont bow down and worship you...
I am liking this guy, GOD.
He reminds me of someone.

[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Rene
...There would be a lot of zero's but then time and space are infinate so I guess it had to happen. Lucky us.

It is a logical necessity that time and space are NOT infinite. Time and space had a beginning. That beginning was caused. The cause must have transcended time and space. We call that cause "God."

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How could they believe history since they have no proof of it.All they have are some words written by men.

Are you serious? Ever hear of legal historical evidence? It is what we use to establish facts of history. We believe in George and Abraham because of legal historical evidence.

You have any idea how many documents exist to "prove" Homer? 643. Do you have any idea how many years between his writing and the earliest manuscripts? 500 years

You have any idea how many manuscripts there are to "prove" Jesus rose from the dead as recorded in the New Testament? At least 24,000. Do you have any idea how many years between these writings and the earliest manuscripts? 30 years.

Like Dr. Kindell says, "There would be a lot more serious Christians if there were a lot more serious skeptics." Get serious and prove yourself correct.

BINGO!
Many in this discussion seem unaware that there are different kinds of proof, and are tossing the word "proof" around as though they believe there is only one kind. If you're talking about laboratory proof, it's easy to say Jesus didn't exist or that there is no evidence that Jesus existed. That overlooks the fact that different disciplines require different ways of arriving at truth. Mathematical proof is not laboratory proof is not legal/historical truth.

The legal/historical evidence for the Jesus of the Gospels is incontrovertible, and satisfies as proof to any honest investigator. If the existence of Jesus were to be investigated in a court of law, with all the historical evidence admitted, that the Jesus of the Gospels lived is as sure as that Julius Caesar, Plato, and any other ancient person lived. Even surer.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Until a man meets Jesus,no answer will satisfy him.

Once he meets Jesus,no questions remain.

Hearsay or have you met Jesus?

Since you make the claim, it is a natural assumption that what you claim is experiential.

Assuming experiential, exactly what happen for you?

Did Jesus answered all your questions or did Jesus erase all the questions you once had?

Either you now have all the answers or you volunteered for a faith-based lobotomy.

Which is it?

Neighbor,If I tell you the moon is made out of green cheese;Take you some crackers along if you get a chance to visit it.grin

Of course I've "met Jesus" or I wouldn't have made my comment.I don't believe that my posts over a long span of time give the impression of someone who would take the time to post b s in order to impress anonymous members of an internet forum.

What "exactly happened for me" is the same thing that happens to lots of folks;Having reached the end of my rope,I surrendered to the Creator of the Universe,whoever or whatever "IT" was.I dropped ALL pretense of knowledge,not by an act of will,but by an absence of will.ALL my five senses left me and were replaced by a "perception".That "perception" was,and remains to this day,the most - perhaps the ONLY - REAL experience of my existence.

I understood then that my mind - like ALL human minds,including yours and Ringworm's - is not capable of comprehending a self existent Being with neither beginning nor end,not bounded by space and time.C.S. Lewis explained it best,I think;"Since God cannot be COMprehended,He must be APPrehended."You have to "catch" Him.

In order to "catch" Him,a man has to stop running from Him intellectually,which is what you and Ringworm are doing.

Just as time is reckoned as before,and after,Jesus's appearance to the world,my "self" is defined as "before,and after" Jesus's appearance to me.

In your arrogance,you present me with only two possible explanations for my comments,and demand an answer.

You approach the Creator of the Universe in that same fashion and He will not feel compelled to answer.

Nor do I.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Plinker
Laffin....

Even I don't care.

You sure posted a lot for a guy who doesn't care. Could it be that God is calling out to you? Here's a thought; Why don't you ask Jesus to prove to you that He exists?

Let us know how it goes.

I did and he mumbled something like 'cognito ergo sum' while slowly letting thin wisps of pot smoke escape with each word.

I asked, "Descartes?"

He said, " Who do you think taught that to Renny?"

That is how it went.

Last edited by carbon12; 05/29/12. Reason: uuuurp
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ringworm
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
And on the Campfire, fools keep posting foolishness that they're proud of! No wonder America is such a mess! frown

But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
(Matthew 5:22)

Funny how a person will fling a Bible verse at someone else without attempting to understand it.

The Bible also says in Psalm 14:1, "The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no God.'" And in Jesus' own words in Matthew 23:17, "You fools and blind men! Which is more important, the gold or the temple that sanctified the gold?"

So, Jesus prohibits calling anyone a fool, but the Bible says there are fools and Jesus himself actually calls people fools. If one wants to make a real argument, wouldn't it pay to find out what Jesus was really saying in Matthew 5:22 before throwing his words at someone? For one thing, the context speaks of anger, and Ken didn't use those words in anger.

Just asking for intellectual honesty.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Until a man meets Jesus,no answer will satisfy him.

Once he meets Jesus,no questions remain.

Hearsay or have you met Jesus?

Since you make the claim, it is a natural assumption that what you claim is experiential.

Assuming experiential, exactly what happen for you?

Did Jesus answered all your questions or did Jesus erase all the questions you once had?

Either you now have all the answers or you volunteered for a faith-based lobotomy.

Which is it?

Neighbor,If I tell you the moon is made out of green cheese;Take you some crackers along if you get a chance to visit it.grin

Of course I've "met Jesus" or I wouldn't have made my comment.I don't believe that my posts over a long span of time give the impression of someone who would take the time to post b s in order to impress anonymous members of an internet forum.

What "exactly happened for me" is the same thing that happens to lots of folks;Having reached the end of my rope,I surrendered to the Creator of the Universe,whoever or whatever "IT" was.I dropped ALL pretense of knowledge,not by an act of will,but by an absence of will.ALL my five senses left me and were replaced by a "perception".That "perception" was,and remains to this day,the most - perhaps the ONLY - REAL experience of my existence.

I understood then that my mind - like ALL human minds,including yours and Ringworm's - is not capable of comprehending a self existent Being with neither beginning nor end,not bounded by space and time.C.S. Lewis explained it best,I think;"Since God cannot be COMprehended,He must be APPrehended."You have to "catch" Him.

In order to "catch" Him,a man has to stop running from Him intellectually,which is what you and Ringworm are doing.

Just as time is reckoned as before,and after,Jesus's appearance to the world,my "self" is defined as "before,and after" Jesus's appearance to me.

In your arrogance,you present me with only two possible explanations for my comments,and demand an answer.

You approach the Creator of the Universe in that same fashion and He will not feel compelled to answer.

Nor do I.

Thanks for your thoughtful response.

I see that Jesus did not offer you satisfactory answers. Instead, he offered you solutions you could live with. For some, that is all they wanted in the first place. So be it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I never have tried to convince anyone of believing the way I do - I am secure in my beliefs. I think only those who have great doubts will try hard to get someone else to agree with their point of view, they need support to ease their doubts. With that I will leave it up to all of you to decide if I believe in god or I don't...and it doesn't matter to me the beliefs of any of you, just don't bug me with a big thread that pops up at the top of the page when I open up the site - my God given (or evolved) curiosity tends to make me open it!

I have a set of lapel pins the indicate I did not miss a Sunday at church for seven years straight & I only missed a few services over many more years stringing together a couple more years here and there of perfect attendance.... but many probably would say I didn't go to the RIGHT church, or used the RIGHT version of the Bible, or something, so I am not going to name the church for fear of starting another big argument. I know the Bible quite well (at least the edition I had). If those of you that say they believe in God really do - shut off your computers, open your Bibles and go to church - quit bugging people here.

�and if you are a believer you have to realize what no matter which religious faction you tend to agree with there are many more believers that will disagree with at least some of your beliefs & practices �� and every group has always tried to convince everyone else that they are the only ones that are right. The only thing that all these denominations seem to fully agree on is the opinion that atheists are wrong.

Gene
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by the_shootist
I'm sure the Lord doesn't give a flip what archaeology either proves or disproves, and neither do I. wink

I cannot seem to invision God sitting on his throne in heaven wringing his hands over the supposed 'problems' that we mortals can invent. grin

Yep.

The Great Flood of the Bible was when God, while sitting on his Kohler, merely flushed a turd. No hand wringing involved.

Last edited by carbon12; 05/29/12. Reason: uuuurp
Page 8 of 28 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 27 28

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

194 members (300_savage, 264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 2ndwind, 27 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,535
Posts18,531,047
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.