Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
Hogjaws Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Anyone try this rest for not breaking in your shoulder at the bench? If you have, is it effective at reducing recoil, is it well put together (or does it look well put together), and not a cheesy product that falls apart after 6 or 7 bench sessions with a thumper?

Hogjaws

Hogjaws is me name, eatin be my game!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one and it is very well constructed. It really tames my 2 and one half pound 358Alpo. It also has worked well for me using my 416 Rigby. It is put together and will hold up.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I own one and I have used it up to .458 W caliber. I place 2-25 lb shot in the craddle and fire away. I can't tell you how much recoil is reduced but it is tamed considerably. One thing you will find out in a hurry is how good your trigger is.
I believe the Sled is well constructed and worth the money.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
While I haven't used mine with a 458 WM, I can vouch for its construction. It is very well made! It comes disasembled but goes together quick and is very sturdy and of heavy material. The price is way down from what it was originaly, I paid $112 from Natchez about 6 months ago. It's well worth the money.

Phil

Just noticed Midway's December flyer has them on sale for $94.99

Last edited by Greyghost; 12/04/05.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I have a Lead Sled and have used it several times. While it greatly reduced the felt recoil, I am concerned about one thing. When using two 25# bags of shot on the sled most of the recoil energy is transfered to the stock of the rifle. I wonder how detrimental this will be to my rifles. It can't be good for them. Until I am convinced that using the sled is not detrimental to the stocks I will continue to use my Past recoil pad. Would be happy to have my fears relieved.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a similar fear, but I have also seen people say that CZ 550 stocks are weak in the big bores too. so I guess I am testing my rifle to see if it will hold up. Ditto for the forces put onto my scope. Of course the reason I shoot it is to make sure it is proven before I use it on dangerous game. I fthat stock or scope fails because of the sled, well then I will replace it with one that can stand up to real use.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used a lead sled with about 20lbs of lead shot. It is superb at taming recoil but what you guys say about the " shock" going into the stock is absolutely right. I was shooting a lighweight Sako in 308Win shooting 150gr bullets at about 2850fps.

Recoil reduction was fantastic but groups were shocking. Then I found out that the front action screw had loosened significantly. Have not figured out how to shoot good groups at the bench with that thing yet.

You lead sled users have any ideas?

Regards
JohnT

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've shot nice groups from mine using two 25lbs shot bags, shooting .30-06 NULA, and a .270win Damara (Ed Brown). Granted, not big bores, but the plan is to tame the .300 RUM, and the .375 after hunting season.
Don
PS I've been fantastically pleased with mine, wouldn't shoot without it (at the bench)

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
John T

I like my Caldwell Lead Sled so much that it has become my favorite bench rest bag for all my calibers.

I have used it on different rifles and have not experienced the front action screw to go loose on any of them. But again none of my rifles is a Sako or a lightweight. Have you had the same problem with other rifles on the Sled or with your lightweight on a different bag?

I will keep an eye on the front screw from now on, and I will let you know if I find something wrong.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Magnum,

We shot my Sako .308 & a REM 700 PSS in .308. Both came loose. My friend actually bought a torque wrench after that and at 65 inch pounds no more problems. But he still cannot get good groups shooting with it.

Have not shot my wood stocked Sako in it after that session.

We are trying to figure out what to do to shoot better groups with it. Encouraging that you guys have no problems.

Regards
JohnT

IC B3

T
tjk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I bought a Lead Sled this year and since have retired my tripod and sandbags. I've shot a light 7-08 and approx. 8# 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, and Ruger #1 45/70 and like it for all the above. I haven't added any weight to it, as none of the rifles I've used are especially wicked. It holds a rifle steady, and is easy to adjust for elevation. The benches at the range I shoot at are not the steadiest I've ever used, and the height of many of them makes it easier for me to shoot well standing and leaning over than sitting at them. I've shot several sub 1 inch groups using it that way, and feel more confident that I'm eliminating more wobbles than by sitting or using sandbags. The rest needs to be adjusted for different rifles, but that is quick and easy to do. Assembly was easy, and I'm hardly a mechanic. The unit without extra weight added weighs 10-15 pounds so that in itself probably cuts recoil somewhat; I'll have to try it with a bag or 2 of shot next summer. Has nicely cushioned rests for the rifle. Seems like a well made product to me.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I got mine on sale at Midway this summer and love it. I use 2X25lb shot bags and have fired rifles from .243 to 300 WBY mag with no problems. I have checked my rifles...2 Sakos and one Tikka 7 mag. All stayed tight no scope movement or any other problems. If you are concerned about your stock, add a 1 inch rubber bumper between the recoil pad and the sled. A one inch bumper with the recoil pad should dampen most of the wear on the stock. Regards, Rick.

John Deere tractors and Sako rifles.....doesn't get any better.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
John T,

I was tying to figure out why you are having problems with your Sled so I went to my garage, pulled out the Sled and looked at it for a few minutes.

There is really not much to look at since it's a simple piece of equipment. I noticed though that I had cut the bottom of the 4 front bolts as they were longer than necessary and I didn't want them to touch the bench. I should also mention that when I am shooting past 200 yards I have to raise the front bag to the point that it wobbles and makes the Sled less stable. So instead I place a 1/4" piece of plywood under the front legs.

If your Sled is not broken and it was assembled correcly, I would shoot each rifle with a load they like, from both the Sled and your other bag, on the same day and preferably under the same weather conditions.
If your Sled keeps opening your groups I would return it for a replacement.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Make sure you tighten the handle that locks the front screw before dfiring.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I was thinking about using one to get my scope sighted in on my .458 Lott. I wonder if the strange recoil forces from the lead sled will damage the scope? Anyone had any scope problems after using one of these sleds?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any problems arise with this rest in the last yr? I just ordered one so I was wonder, specifically with the issue of the stock absorbing the recoil and damaging the stock.

Rob
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
- Shooting a hard recoiling big bore from a field position can be hard on the shooter and hard on the scope and stock.

- Shooting a hard recoiling big bore from a seated bench can be brutal on the shooter and harder on the scope and stock.

- Shooting a hard recoiling big bore from a seated bench off of a weighted led sled may be far milder on the shooter but it is far more brutal on the scope and stock.

After years of training and shooting match and service type rifles, and years of training and shooting M40s in the field; I find that my zeros and come-ups are often different for different shooting positions/techniques. This also applies w/ the led sled as my zeros w/ this off the bench differ from other various field positions. I reserve the sled for initial sight in and as a bench mark for accuracy checks w/ hard kickers only. Outside of this, I avoid a seated bench like the plague. If bench work is really needed on hard kickers, I prefer using a standard standing bench or good shooting sticks for sight in work.

GVA

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not seeing how shooting from a sled can be tougher on the scope. The stock yes, but a sled should be easier on the scope (and shooter) since there will be less rearward movement.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought one last year to use to work up loads for my .375 and .300 Wby before an African hunt. It does reduce recoil, but rifle and lead sled have to be repositioned after each shot, which is not easy to do. The other thing that bothered me was that I could not get my eye close enough to the scope to have eye relief equivalent to what I see when shouldering the rifle or shooting from a simple sand bag rest.

I intend to try one of Mel Forbes' gizmos when I start load development and testing next spring--it looks a little simpler to use. If it works out, you will probably see my lead sled in the "classified" thread.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You cannot do what needs to be done with the gun in any kind of sled..tough it out or go to a smaller rifle...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 160user, 50 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 1,055 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,664
Posts18,512,923
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.