Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6581946 - 06/10/12 05:21 AM what am i doing wrong????
RIO7 Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: s.tex
6mm shoots great with 3X9 50 mm leupy, took off leupy, put on 6.5x20 zeiss z-1000, varmit reticle,shoots like a shotgun ive checked every thing i can think of, re mounted scope checked for stress on scope, changed mounts
, then changed them back all work has been done to spec. changed back to leupy shoots great.what the hell am i doing wrong? what should i check?would like to use the zeiss, for p-dog shoot.rio7

#6581966 - 06/10/12 05:32 AM Re: what am i doing wrong???? [Re: RIO7]
ruffcutt Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: SD
Is any part of the objective or flip caps if you have any, within a few thousandths of the barrel? I had a gun mysteriously have groups double in size, found the flip cap was just barely touching the barrel. Took the cap off and it shot normal again.

Edited by ruffcutt (06/10/12 02:03 PM)

#6583010 - 06/10/12 12:25 PM Re: what am i doing wrong???? [Re: RIO7]
VarmintGuy Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: SW Montana
RI07: I hope we can get the problem sorted out for you ASAP.
That Zeiss would be a wonderful optic in the Prairie Dog Towns.
And that brings me to this question - is the Zeiss new or has it been proven on other Rifles?
Can you take the time to "prove" that Zeiss on another "known" accuracy Rifle?
From what you have relayed so far I am guessing the Zeiss has something loose/unglued???
That would be unusual but sound possible in this instance.
Best of luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

#6583434 - 06/10/12 03:38 PM Re: what am i doing wrong???? [Re: VarmintGuy]
RIO7 Offline
Campfire Regular

varmitguy, this is a new out of the box scope. does not touch the barrel plenty of clearance, im useing a 2 piece mount timiney, i moved the scope rings closer toghther and it didnt make a differance, moved them out more nada,double checked the bases, heres, what i dont understand first shot bulls eye. then started to string out shots 1" high right next shot 1" higher right"and so it moved about 1" higher right with every shot. took scope off checked everything i could think of re mounted it now it shoots all over target with about 8" spread, took it off used different mounts think they are weaver, now its shooting about 6" spread took it off, put lupey back on shooting just under 3/4" for 5 shots 3 groups? hate to take a scope off one of my other rifles that shoots great to prove the scopes no good, then i have 2 screwed up rifles, im going to town in the morning and get a one piece mount and if that dont work im giong to send it back to ziess. rio7

#6583512 - 06/10/12 04:14 PM Re: what am i doing wrong???? [Re: RIO7]
WyoCoyoteHunter Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Carbon Co. Wyoming
RIO7, It sounds like your scope is defective...had a Leupold that did the same thing..I retuned it..something, I forget what, had come undone inside...I would get it checked out, why waste time and ammo..your faith in it is nil at this point...

#6584221 - 06/10/12 08:11 PM Re: what am i doing wrong???? [Re: RIO7]
hemiallen Offline
Campfire Guide

Ahem...

You have already proven with the Leupold the gun is ok..... no need to remove ANOTHER good shooting scope from a rig to prove that, IMHO

The scope that doesn't shoot well has something wrong with it, especially if you are using the same set of rings for both scopes....

Allen

#6584498 - 06/10/12 10:43 PM Re: what am i doing wrong???? [Re: RIO7]
17ACKLEYBEE Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: A wash in the west.
Originally Posted By: RIO7
varmitguy, this is a new out of the box scope. does not touch the barrel plenty of clearance, im useing a 2 piece mount timiney, i moved the scope rings closer toghther and it didnt make a differance, moved them out more nada,double checked the bases, heres, what i dont understand first shot bulls eye. then started to string out shots 1" high right next shot 1" higher right"and so it moved about 1" higher right with every shot. took scope off checked everything i could think of re mounted it now it shoots all over target with about 8" spread, took it off used different mounts think they are weaver, now its shooting about 6" spread took it off, put lupey back on shooting just under 3/4" for 5 shots 3 groups? hate to take a scope off one of my other rifles that shoots great to prove the scopes no good, then i have 2 screwed up rifles, im going to town in the morning and get a one piece mount and if that dont work im giong to send it back to ziess. rio7

Had a buddy last year that got a new Zeiss 4.5-14x44mm Conquest last year failed right of the box Zeiss replaced it for him. Everyone has a bsd one make it through QC from time to time.

#6584582 - 06/11/12 03:21 AM Re: what am i doing wrong???? [Re: 17ACKLEYBEE]
RIO7 Offline
Campfire Regular

thanks for the comments, i was thinking the 2 piece mounts are putting a strain , or bind on this scope as its much longer than the leupy, and i need a one piece for another gun so i thought i would buy a one peice and try it with this scope and if that didnt work send scope back to zeiss. does that make sense?also im going p-dog shooting the end of june and thats what i bought the ziess for.rio7

#6585383 - 06/11/12 10:55 AM Re: what am i doing wrong???? [Re: RIO7]
safariman Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: All over the place! missing Af...
Put the Loopy back on it if neccesasry for your PD shoot. Return the Euro scope for repair or return it over the counter for another if your retailer will allow. Quite clear that the scope is bad. The erector assembly is the culprit. An erector assembly retaining spring inside has come loose or was never put into the scope during assembly.

Show me good wood wrapped around a CRF action, chambered in a cartridge that is among the fastest of its caliber, or don't show me at all 'cause you did it all wrong.

#6585472 - 06/11/12 11:29 AM Re: what am i doing wrong???? [Re: safariman]
RIO7 Offline
Campfire Regular

safariman,had to take a load of cattle to town this morning for the sale, so dropped them off and went local gun shop, and my buddy there and i put new rings and bases and ziess back on rifle, one last try. jhon didnt have another ziess varmit scope in shop or we would have traded out and probably will, if this dont work. its a 150 mile round trip to town so dont go a lot about once a month for food, its 115 deg. here today so will wait and shoot it in the morning.hope to meet your and your wife in new mexico , in july. rio7

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
82 registered (artur, 1OntarioJim, 35, 4ager, 6mmbrfan, 10 invisible), 699 Guests and 296 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
50437 Members
72 Forums
633955 Topics
9094419 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright 2000-2014 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.