Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M

“Lighten up Francis”
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice work but does not look like it came from the factory that way.
Andy

Women really don't like men just some make better pets than others.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It's a pre-war M70 and while the engraving is in the style of Winchester engraving my gut tells me that it's not factory original. The reason I say that is because the proof mark is in the engraving area, if it was factory they would have proof marked it after engraving so it would not be in the engraved area. The engraving looks VERY nice!

What is the caliber designation marked on the barrel? Do you have a picture of that?

It's a gorgeous rifle!!!

M
micky Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
it says 300 H&H or Holland and Holland. I don't have a pic of the barrel marks. I can get on this weekend and post it up if that is helpful.

“Lighten up Francis”
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by micky
it says 300 H&H or Holland and Holland. I don't have a pic of the barrel marks. I can get on this weekend and post it up if that is helpful.

Not necessary. If it would have said 30 Super then it would have been something VERY odd. That's why I was curious. Most of the time after market engraving on a M70 reduces it's value but the quality of this engraving makes this gun different IMHO. I would say that it adds some good value to the gun. If only it was a transition so a scope could be put on it and it could be hunted. Again it is a gorgous rifle!

IC B2

M
micky Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Why can't a scope be mounted. It has the same points drilled and tapped (going off memory here) as my featherweights. two on the side of the rear of the receiver and two on the front on top.

Again that is purely memory and do not hold me to it. I called it a Super 30 because of an article a few years back in Rifle where they discussed the resurgence of the 300 H&H.

“Lighten up Francis”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It seems odd the WP proof is on the side like that? all of mine are much higher or on top?

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

M
micky Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I went and looked at my featherweights, on the 264, it is in the exact same spot. on the 308 and 270 the mark is a bit higher. On the 06, it is almost vertically located.

“Lighten up Francis”
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Why can't a scope be mounted. It has the same points drilled and tapped (going off memory here) as my featherweights. two on the side of the rear of the receiver and two on the front on top.

Again that is purely memory and do not hold me to it. I called it a Super 30 because of an article a few years back in Rifle where they discussed the resurgence of the 300 H&H.

A scope could be mounted but pre-wars don't have the front bridge drilled and tapped so it would take a goofy mount to put a scope on it.

I would have to look at the Rule book again but that serial number might put it in the transition period where pretty much anything went. Winchester was changing a lot and cleaning up parts so you can see a lot of odd things. The H&H actions were the ones with the most pecularities of all. I have a 375 that is a late 1949 transition, when they were supposed to have ll been D&T'd by that time, but mine does not have the front ring D&T'd. It also does not have a rear sight on the barrel nor any profisions for one.

Last edited by reelman; 05/25/12.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by reelman

A scope could be mounted but pre-wars don't have the front bridge drilled and tapped so it would take a goofy mount to put a scope on it.

I would have to look at the Rule book again but that serial number might put it in the transition period where pretty much anything went. Winchester was changing a lot and cleaning up parts so you can see a lot of odd things. The H&H actions were the ones with the most pecularities of all. I have a 375 that is a late 1949 transition, when they were supposed to have ll been D&T'd by that time, but mine does not have the front ring D&T'd. It also does not have a rear sight on the barrel nor any profisions for one.

Actually all front receiver rings (bridges) were drilled & tapped on model 70's. It was the rear bridge which was not d/t'd on the pre wars. This particular rifle has the front ring d/t'd as factory and the rear bridge is still virgin. An easy solution and one that was very popular in the day was to use a Stith mount. This mount used the rear sight dovetail in combination with the receiver sight holes on the side of the receiver. They were made for both 7/8" and 1" dia scope tubes. They show up frequently at gun shows and auction sites.
Steve

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by seewin
Originally Posted by reelman

Actually all front receiver rings (bridges) were drilled & tapped on model 70's. It was the rear bridge which was not d/t'd on the pre wars. This particular rifle has the front ring d/t'd as factory and the rear bridge is still virgin. An easy solution and one that was very popular in the day was to use a Stith mount. This mount used the rear sight dovetail in combination with the receiver sight holes on the side of the receiver. They were made for both 7/8" and 1" dia scope tubes. They show up frequently at gun shows and auction sites.
Steve

You are correct, I edited my post right after I posted it but for some reason the edit didn't take. Yes all front rings were D&T'd and the rear bridge was D&T'd in 48 or 49 depending on the individual rifle and sometime, like on my 375, they are still not D&T'd even later.

Stith mounts are cool and I've had several over the years but all the ones I've had were scope specific not just tube diameter. Did they make ones with split rings and in 1"? I've never seen one like that but would be interested in one myself.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice looking rifle, I wouldn't care if it was factory engraved or not.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The engraver has his initals engraved on it they are DH find out who DH is and you will have your answer if it is factory or not. grin

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Send an email with the photos to Pauline and she if she can tell you anything about it.

http://paulinemuerrle.com/

M
micky Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
thanks for info. I bought it years ago and just know nothing about the gun. I had hoped it was a custom order from the factory and worth a bazillion dollars. I don't have any desire to sell it, but having a gun worth a small house would be fun.

“Lighten up Francis”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think you have a standard grade rifle in a standard grade stock that someone has had what appears to be only a fair job of after market engraving done. I don't think it will make you rich but you should get a lot of enjoyment and use from it. Assuming the wood finish and bluing are original the engraving has added little or no value to it's actual worth compared to an unaltered rifle in like condition. Take it hunting and let your friends admire it's effectiveness as a user and to a lesser extent the embellishments.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rifle
It seems odd the WP proof is on the side like that? all of mine are much higher or on top?

Early on, like with the pre-wars,they lined the proof marks up on barrel/receiver....later on they got sloppy about it for some reason.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 22kHornet, 222ND, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,381
Posts18,527,543
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.