JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by JPro
Kettlebell hip swings

Do those look like this? [Linked Image]

Needs to add a little pelvic thrust in there and he'd have it.

Now with even more aplomb
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
A friend of mine who is younger that me retired. he walked all the time to stay in shape, and is a health nut. I recently saw him and hardly reconized him . He walks with a walker all bent over and can hardly get one foot ahead of the other. can barley talk.from strokes ETC. I think too much exercise is worse than no exercise, it simply wears you out.My excerise consists of mowing the lawn, riding my Horse and damm little else. sure I have cancer and it may get me some day but I am in better shape than some others my age that exercised all the time.. grin

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm almost 40.....still going strong and don't plan on slowing down. I agree with the poster that said don't get out of shape. Setting aside time to train is the toughest thing.....make it an integral part of your life (not the focus, but an important part).

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I did a little home-workout yesterday morning and am feeling the effects today. Over the last year tendonitis kept showing up and causing me to have to stop any weight lifting or strength training. I'm pretty sure it was my failure to recognize that I now must be really warmed up before lifting anything heavy. 33 is not old, but it is a bit different from 23. I am pretty sure that weighted chin-ups were the main culprit. Anyway, I did the following circuit 3 times yesterday in the living room, using some kettlebells and a "Perfect Pullup" doorframe-mounted bar that somebody gave to me:

Pushups with various hand positions
Single leg semi-stiff legged deadlifts with kettlebell
45-degree bodyweight back row, using pullup bar in low position
Standing kettlebell shoulder press
Single leg pistol squats, holding pullup bar to "cheat" a bit
Lying ab crunches with a kettlebell held overhead
Kettlebell hip swings

I rested about 30 seconds between movements and about 2-3 minutes between rounds, so it was maybe 30 minutes after warming up a bit. The "Pefect Pullup" device is actually pretty solid and useful. It felt like a pretty good workout for such a short timeframe and I was soaking wet by the midpoint. Amazing how "blah" you feel when you aren't getting any exercise, even if you are eating reasonably clean.

Right now I'm kind of glad to have that handicap rail next to the toilet in my office bathroom! grin

If you did all that coming from a sedentary lifestyle you got your just desserts. Ifn' you're gonna be stupid, you've gotta be tough. Keep it up and you'll have tendonitis/arthritis for sure. You've gotta ease into this stuff. A workout today that precludes being able to work out tommorrow is counterproductive. Crossfit, scaled to the "Pack" level, works for me and I'm 52.

IC B2

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've not been totally sedentary, just out of the weight room for a couple of months. I look like I am in good shape, but am really not by my own standards. This is week 2 of "getting back into it", and some new moves obviously uncovered some stuff that hadn't been broken in all the way just yet. My weights are kept fairly light at this point and everything is 10reps+ to avoid injury. That being said, I always hate this part of getting back into it, as each workout is a new kind of sore....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've not been totally sedentary, just out of the weight room for a couple of months. I look like I am in good shape, but am really not by my own standards. This is week 2 of "getting back into it", and some new moves obviously uncovered some stuff that hadn't been broken in all the way just yet. My weights are kept fairly light at this point and everything is 10reps+ to avoid injury. That being said, I always hate this part of getting back into it, as each workout is a new kind of sore....

Sounds like you aren't doing to bad, J. OTOH, I think TAK makes some good points. Tendon injuries suck!

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by the_shootist
You're just a pup, JPro. wink

I know it. grin Even so, I find it's a bit easier to get injured as each year passes. No complaints, just the way it is....

Oh, you have no freaking idea! Just wait.....

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
One of the best-built guys I know is a 43yr old coach who does all the P90x and Insanity infomercial stuff. I can tell it takes some work, as he is often seen around town with icebags taped over his joints.

He'll be crippled up real good by the time he's 50.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by tjm10025
One of the best-built guys I know is a 43yr old coach who does all the P90x and Insanity infomercial stuff. I can tell it takes some work, as he is often seen around town with icebags taped over his joints.

He'll be crippled up real good by the time he's 50.

HAH! Running can really tear you up over the long haul. As I have gotten older, it has been necessary to pace things a lot slower. Longer time between sets, and LOADS more recovery time. Had a real drop off at 52, but at 57, I am still beating the young guys a lot in bench press. Actually had my highest contest bench ever last Sept. 525 @174 bodyweight, 56 years old. Some sports demand a change in approach, but you can still be competetive for a long time. ( injuries, though rare for me, take a LOOOONG time to heal)

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by benchman
525 @174 bodyweight, 56 years old.

That's it?

grin

Twice and some change for what I do during my sets.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am 52 years old, and I recommend swimming a couple of times a week.

Yesterday I moved crab pots for the first time in decades and I feel fine today - but I have been swimming and doing some light weight lifting, nothing over 100 pounds for a couple of months now, and it really does not take much time.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm 72. Got out of the shower this morning and caught a glance of myself in the full lenght mirror. "Hey, what happened to the other guy?" laugh

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm close to your age (35) and I've been working with a strenght and condition trainer for a while now. Since late Dec. early Jan. I'm out of shape physcially and had back issues. It was ALWAYS sore.

I've always lifted weights and thought I knew a fair amount about it. I now know I don't. We had an interview that lasted around a half hour. I told him my line of work and what I like to do when I'm not at work.

He built a program just for me and it's working. We started off slow and didn't lift much weight for the first two months. I now understand why. It was building joint strength.

I'm stronger than I've been in years. I dont have joint or back pain and I'm noticing a change in my body shape and I'm waaaay too lax on the cardio. It's all from lifting. My pants fit better, or actually now, they're too big.

Most of the work is on cable weights and the TRX program, which I love. It's a lot of balance and "body weight" type of excersizes. Everything we work on, leads into the next series of excersizes. We meet twice a month and I work out on the program for two weeks before we switch it up.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i'm fixing to turn 49 and except for arthritis in my right ankle i'm in better shape than when i was younger.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I follow. I do believe I'm pretty much done with the 4-5rep heavy stuff, as it seems I just wind up hurting something. I have nobody to impress anymore with how much weight I am lifting, as I'm not competing or playing sports. I will leave that stuff to benchman, as it sounds like he does enough for two people anyway. (grin)

V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
Crunches are really hard on your back. You ought to do planks instead for your abdominal muscles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bea175
you have no idea just the way it is, until you reach our age

What I hate are the unexplained pains. The, "why does this hurt" owies.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Working out is mainly staying motivated .
I got carried away for a few weeks and did nine workouts in one week ,Weightlift and cardio in the morning before work -then run and do pull-ups/dips at a park behind my house every other evening.
That proved to be a little much for 52yrs of age.
Glad to hear of people working out -wish it would become a trend again around here and the women would give it a try.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
JPro, I dare say that if you suddenly felt at your age the same way I feel waking up each morning at 61 that you would call the EMT to take you to the ED. Decades take their toll. Enjoy all of them.

Last edited by Notropis; 06/12/12.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 1941USMC, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,887
Posts18,518,291
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.